Niharika Singh in 2013
|Born||31 August 1982 (age 33)|
|Awards||Best Female Debut IBNLive Movie Awards 2015|
Niharika Singh (born 31 August 1982) is an Indian film actress and the winner of Femina Miss India Earth 2005. She made her acting debut with the film Miss Lovely, which competed in Un certain Regard at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival.
Early life and career
Niharika spent her childhood in various hill stations and small towns in the north of India since her father worked for U.P. Tourism and after the state was divided, Uttarakhand Tourism development board, Govt. of India. She recalls her first performance as "Bharat Mata" at the age of 4; did children theatre workshops with Sahitya Kala Parishad before she went to study in a boarding school in Nainital.
Singh started modeling in Dehradun at the age of 17, doing local shows which she continued when she moved to New Delhi to pursue a degree in B.Com(H) at Shri Ram College of Commerce. Realizing commerce wasn't her subject of interest, she dropped out of college and moved to Mumbai in 2003.
Niharika participated in Femina Miss India in 2005 and won the title of Miss India Earth along with subtitles for Miss Photogenic and Miss Beautiful Hair. She went on to represent India at the Miss Earth pageant held in Philippines in the same year. She appeared in several TV commercials, print ads and music videos and hosted a reality series 'Banungi main Miss India' on television.
Her career in films started when she signed a 10 film contract with Raj Kanwar in 2006. The films were never made. Then, John Matthew Matthan and T-Series got her out of the contract and made A New Love Ishtory with her. She further worked in films like 'Mudh mudh ke na dekh mudh mudh ke' and 'Private number'. None of these films made it to the cinemas.
Niharika made her feature film debut with Ashim Ahluwalia's retro drama Miss Lovely. The film competed in Un Certain Regard at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival. Singh played the role of Pinky, a mysterious ingénue with a shadowy past for which she earned rave reviews for her performance and the award for Best Female Debut at IBNLive Movie Awards 2015.
Singh has done acting workshops with Barry John and a Film Appreciation course from the Film and Television Institute of India. The actor says she rediscovered cinema after her tryst with Cannes for Miss Lovely.
She will be seen next in Bappaditya Bandopadhyay's 'Sohra Bridge'.
- Miss Lovely (2012) - Pinky/Sonika/Pooja
- A New Love Ishtory (2013) - Kamya Dhanraj
- Anwar Ka Ajab Kissa (2013) - Ayesha
- Sohra Bridge (2015) - Ria
Awards and nominations
- IBNLive Movie Awards 2015 - Best Female Debut - Won
- 21st Annual Life OK Screen Awards - Most Promising Newcomer Female - Nominated
- "Former Miss India Niharika Singh makes it big on the Cannes red carpet". Bollywoodlife.com. 2012-05-24. Retrieved 2016-01-05.
- Amrita Madhukalya (2014-01-19). "Meet Niharika Singh, Bollywood's new 'Miss Lovely' | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". Dnaindia.com. Retrieved 2016-01-05.
- "IBNLive Movie Awards: Niharika Singh beats Kriti Sanon to win the Best Female Debut Award for 'Miss Lovely'". Ibnlive.in.com. Retrieved 2016-01-05.
- "Student of cinema". The Indian Express. 2014-01-02. Retrieved 2016-01-05.
- "Meet miss lovely". Telegraphindia.com. 2014-01-14. Retrieved 2016-01-05.
- "Life Delhi / Talk Of The Town : All for a good cause". The Hindu. 2005-05-13. Retrieved 2016-01-05.
|Awards and achievements|
|Miss Earth India