29 January 1959|
15 April 2003 (aged 44)|
|Other names||The Russian|
|Occupation||Mob enforcer, Extortionist|
|Conviction(s)||Armed robbery, Assault, Blackmail, Extortion|
|Criminal penalty||Short prison terms|
Nikolai "Nik" Radev (Bulgarian: Николай "Ник" Радев) (29 January 1959 – 15 April 2003), nicknamed The Russian, was a Bulgarian-born refugee in Australia, who was a career criminal and mobster, he was involved in crime in Melbourne, Victoria.
During his life he was jailed for assault, blackmail, threats to kill, extortion, firearm offences, armed robbery and drug charges. According to police he was an enforcer for the Melbourne head of the Russian mafia, robbing drug dealers.
He was shot seven times in the head and chest in front of his bodyguard after he stood out from his black Mercedes Benz CLK 500 convertible. A third person in Nik Radev's entourage was driving a light green 2000 Toyota Camry CSI sedan parked directly in front of his Mercedes Benz near the corner of Queen & Reynard Streets, Coburg also witnessed the murder.
Victoria Police told The Age that they believed his death was planned by a father and son drug manufacturing team, and a hitman suspected of four other murders carried out the killing in a red Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo sedan. His associates Damien Cossu and Alfonso Traglia were with Radev at the time of the murder but claimed they could not identify the gunman, and were subsequently named by police as 'persons of interest'.
Despite only having worked for eight months during the 1980s at a fish and chip shop, Radev was killed wearing Versace clothing and a $20,000 watch, and was buried in a gold-plated coffin. Victorian Police, suspect that Andrew Veniamin and Carl Williams, were behind the killing.
- ^ Wise guys, tough guys, dead guys John Silvester, The Age 14 December 2003
- ^ Why gangland's bloody code is hard to crack John Silvester, The Age 20 April 2003
- ^ Six named in underworld investigations Steve Butcher, The Age 23 December 2003
- ^ New lead in Bulgarian Nik's killing John Silvester The Age 13 December 2003
- Silvester, John; Rule, Andrew (2008). Underbelly : the Gangland war. Australia: Sly Ink/Floradale Publishing. p. 68. ISBN 0977544060.