|Governor of Kerala|
23 March 2013 – 05 March 2014
|Chief Minister||Oommen Chandy|
|Preceded by||Hansraj Bhardwaj|
|Succeeded by||Sheila Dikshit|
|Governor of Nagaland|
15 October 2009 – 21 March 2013
|Chief Minister||Neiphiu Rio|
|Preceded by||Gurbachan Jagat|
|Succeeded by||Ashwani Kumar|
|Member of Parliament
|Preceded by||Shyama Singh|
|Succeeded by||Sushil Kumar Singh|
|Director General NSG|
30 June 1999 – 31 July 2001
|Preceded by||TR Kakkar|
|Succeeded by||Sh Gurbachan Jagat|
|Director General ITBP|
3 April 1997 – 3 December 1997
|Preceded by||B B Nandy|
|Succeeded by||Pt. Gautam Kaul|
|Commissioner of Delhi Police|
January 1995 – April 1997
|Succeeded by||T.R. Kakkar|
|Director BSF Academy|
July 1990 – December 1990
|Preceded by||D.K. Arya|
15 July 1941 |
Vaishali, Bihar, India
|Alma mater||Allahabad University|
|As of 26 September, 2006
Nikhil Kumar (Hindi: निखिल कुमार) (born 15 July 1941) is an Indian politician who was Governor of Nagaland from 2009 to 2013 and Governor of Kerala from 2013 to 2014. He was a member of the 14th Lok Sabha of India, representing the Aurangabad constituency in Bihar as a member of the Indian National Congress (INC) political party. He also served as the Chairman of the Parliamentary Committee on Information Technology.
He is a son of Satyendra Narayan Sinha, who was Chief Minister of Bihar, a veteran Indian National Congress leader and a seven-term Member of Parliament, also from the constituency of Aurangabad.
His grandfather Dr. Anugrah Narayan Sinha,known as Bihar Vibhuti, was the first Deputy Chief Minister cum Finance Minister of Bihar and an eminent Gandhian; his father "Chhote Saheb" was close in his later years to Jayaprakash Narayan and was one of the most prominent leaders of the anti-Emergency movement in Bihar and also the President of the Bihar wing of the Janata Party in 1977.
He was educated at St. Xavier's High School, Patna and then at Allahabad University, where he earned an M.A. in Modern History. He entered the civil service in 1963 and was an Indian Police Service officer assigned to the erstwhile Union Territory of Delhi.
He held many important assignments and posts of national importance, in particular Additional Director General, Border Security Force (BSF) (1989–91;1992–94), Commissioner of Police,Delhi during 1995-97.In 1997-99 he became Special Secretary with charge of Internal Security at the Home Ministry. He also served as the Director-General of the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) & National Security Guards (NSG),a position he held till his retirement in July 2001. He was then appointed Member, National Security Advisory Board, Government of India (2001–03).He was awarded with the Police Medal for Meritorious Service in 1977 and the President's Police Medal for Distinguished Service in 1985.
Governor of Nagaland
He took the oath of office and secrecy as the Governor of Nagaland on 15 October 2009.He has been appointed a member of the Committee of Governors, constituted by the President of India to study and recommend measures for enhancing productivity, profitability, sustainability and competitiveness of the agriculture sector in India with special reference to rainfed area farming. He has been conferred with the prestigious Neelachakra Samman,during the national cultural festival Baisakhi Utsav at Jayadev Bhawan in Bhubaneswar.
Governor of Kerala
The President of India, Pranab Mukherjee, appointed him as Governor of Kerala on 9 March 2013.He had an illustrious tenure in the state and even in a short time, he was revered as a true “People’s Governor” and left his indelible mark on the people with ease and dignity.His astonishing capability to speak extempore on important policies, in his own inimitable style and his ability to communicate with the masses facilitated his deep and sympathetic involvement in all aspects of the life in the state of Kerala.He resigned as Governor on March 4, 2014 to contest the Lok Sabha Elections from Aurangabad in Bihar.
- 1995-97: Commissioner of Police, Delhi (DGP rank)
- 1997: Director-General Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP)
- 1997-99: Special Home Secretary (Internal Security), Government of India
- 1999-01: Director-General National Security Guards
- 2001-03: Member, National Security Advisory Board, Government of India
- 2004-09: Elected to 14th Lok Sabha
- 2009-13: Governor of Nagaland
- 2013-14: Governor of Kerala
- HT. "ex Delhi Police Chief Nikhil Kumar appointed Governor". Hindustan Times. Archived from the original on 24 October 2009. Retrieved 2009-10-04.
- Official Website The Hindu. "Former Nagaland Governor Nikhil Kumar sworn in as Governor of Kerala". Official News. Retrieved 2013-03-23.
- "Nikhil Kumar, former NSG chief". Rediff. Archived from the original on 21 August 2007. Retrieved 2007-09-04.
- FORMER DGS. "NSG". OFFICIAL WEBSITE NSG. Archived from the original on 12 October 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-05.
- Delhi Police. "Nikhil Kumar, Commissioner of Police, Delhi". News. Retrieved 24 August 2016.[permanent dead link]
- Official website. "PM condoles passing away of Satyendra Narayan Singh". PM's Messages. Retrieved 2006-09-05.
- Magnificent Bihar. "Nikhil Kumar On Bihar". Archived from the original on 8 December 2007. Retrieved 2007-09-20.
- Home Page on the Parliament of India's Website]. "Member Bio Data". Loksabha. Retrieved 2006-09-25.[dead link]
- A.J. Philip. "A gentleman among politicians". The Tribune. Retrieved 2006-09-05.
- Indian Post. "First Bihar Deputy CM cum Finance Minister;Dr. A N Sinha". official Website. Retrieved 2008-05-20.
- Prabhu Chawla. "N K Singh:India's supercrat". India Today. Archived from the original on 3 January 2013. Retrieved 2004-11-04.
- Home Page on the Parliament of India's Website. "Member Bio data". loksabha. Archived from the original on 29 May 2006. Retrieved 2006-09-05.
- NSG website. "Nikhil Kumar DG NSG". official website. Archived from the original on 6 December 2008. Retrieved 2007-07-04.
- P Vohra. "Governor Nikhil Kumar". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 2009-10-15.
- PTI. "ex Delhi Police Chief Nikhil Kumar sworn in as Nagaland Governor". Press Trust of India. Retrieved 2009-10-15.
- Official Website President of India. "PRESIDENT APPOINTS A COMMITTEE OF GOVERNORS TO STUDY AND RECOMMEND STEPS FOR INCREASING AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTIVITY". President's Website Press Release. Retrieved 2011-12-01.
- PTI. "PRESIDENT APPOINTS A COMMITTEE OF GOVERNORS". PTI OFFICIAL WEBSITE. Retrieved 2011-12-01.
- News Website. "Neelachakra Samman Conferred on Nagaland Governor Shri Nikhil Kumar". Odisha360. Retrieved 2012-04-17.[permanent dead link]
- IBN Internet News Website. "Nagaland Governor Shri Nikhil Kumar to be conferred with Neelachakra Samman during national cultural festival". IBN. Retrieved 2012-04-04.
- Official News Website. "Nagaland Governor Shri Nikhil Kumar appointed new Kerala Governor". Official News article. Retrieved 2013-03-10.
- TP Sreenivasan. "Nikhil Kumar:People's Governor". TP Sreenivasan. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- "Former Kerala Governor to contest Lok Sabha Elections from Bihar". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nikhil Kumar.|
|Governor of Kerala
23March 2013 -4 March 2014
|Governor of Nagaland
October 2009 – March 2013