24 January 1999
Pelita Harapan School
Nicole Zefanya (born 24 January 1999), known professionally as NIKI, is an Indonesian singer, songwriter, and record producer.
Early life and career
Nicole Zefanya, born 24 January 1999, was raised in Jakarta, Indonesia. She grew up listening to the 1990s R&B such as Destiny's Child and Aaliyah because of her mother. She went to Pelita Harapan School in Indonesia. And as she was in school, Zefanya gained popularity with her covers and original songs on YouTube, gaining more than 40,000 subscribers. She has since deleted all her previous videos but some of her old songs can still be found online.
Zefanya independently released the songs "Polaroid Boy" and "Anaheim" in 2016 and 2017 respectively. In 2017, Zefanya moved to Nashville and studied Music in Lipscomb University while releasing “See U Never” and “I Like U”. under the American mass media company 88rising as an artist under their label. She released the song “Vintage” on 2 May 2018 as the first single of for her EP titled Zephyr. On 23 May 2018, Zefanya released her debut EP Zephyr.
Through her music, Zefanya is trying to empower Asians and Asian Americans. During the Head in The Clouds music festival, NIKI, takes a moment to address the 10,000-plus people gathered in Los Angeles’ Historic State Park. “I just want to say, as an Asian female, I do not take this day and this stage for granted. My hope is that above everything else today, that you feel heard, you feel understood, but most of all that you feel represented." NIKI's mission is to empower young Asian artists under-represented in US music industry
|wanna take this downtown?|
As lead artist
|"Awali Hari Dengan Cinta"||2014||Non-album single|
|"See U Never"|
|"I Like U"|
|"Dancing with the Devil"|
|"Warpaint"||Head in the Clouds|
|"lowkey"||2019||wanna take this downtown?|
|"Indigo"||Head in the Clouds II|
|"La La Lost You"|
As featured artist
(Rich Brian featuring Niki)
- Taylor Swift – The Red Tour (Jakarta) (2014)
- Rich Brian – Australia & New Zealand Tour (2018)
- Halsey – Hopeless Fountain Kingdom Tour (Asia) (2018)
- Methanisa, Katyusha (29 September 2017). "Meet the Latest Indonesian R&B Singer Trying to Take Over the US". Vice. Retrieved 11 June 2018.
- "SINDHÈN INTERVIEW: NIKI". 4 October 2017 – via YouTube.
- Harfenist, Ethan (14 November 2017). "We Talked to Indonesia's 'R&B Princess' NIKI About 'Going International,' and '90s Nostalgia". Vice. Retrieved 11 June 2018.
- "In The Studio with NIKI". milk.xyz. 1 January 2017. Retrieved November 20, 2017.
- "NIKI Reminisces About a Former Love in 'Vintage' Video: Premiere". Billboard. 2 May 2018. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- Morin, Natalie. "NIKI Wants Asians To Own Their Heritage". www.refinery29.com. Retrieved 2019-10-31.
- "Indonesian singer's mission to break America's bamboo ceiling". South China Morning Post. 2018-07-05. Retrieved 2019-10-31.
- Maher, Natalie (30 January 2018). "Rich Brian Reveals Track List for Debut Album 'Amen'". Billboard. Retrieved 11 June 2018.
- Cung, Danie (5 June 2014). "Lautan Swifties di #REDTourJkt Taylor Swift di MEIS". Creative Disc. Retrieved 11 June 2018.
- Newstead, Al (26 March 2018). "Rich Brian announces debut Australian tour". Triple J. Retrieved 11 June 2018.
- Jones, Abby (26 March 2018). "Halsey Announces Final Installment of Hopeless Fountain Kingdom World Tour". Billboard. Retrieved 11 June 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Niki (singer).|