|Residence||Los Angeles, CA, US|
|Alma mater||Coventry University|
Royal College of Arts, London
|Occupation||Exterior Design Manager at General Motors|
Niki Smart is a British car designer, known for being the lead designer on the Ariel Atom project and his concept car design for Cadillac, as design manager for the General Motors Advanced Design team in Los Angeles, California.
Smart began designing the Ariel Atom whilst studying at Coventry University, in conjunction with Ariel Motor Company boss and senior lecturer Simon Saunders. Smart completed his masters in vehicle design at the Royal College of Art, London in 1999. In 1997, Smart moved on to Tom Walkinshaw Racing as a designer and then to the Ford Motor Company in 1998.
Smart is now design manager for the General Motors Advanced Design team in Los Angeles, California and oversaw the design of the Cadillac Urban Luxury Concept in 2010 and the Cadillac Ciel Concept, a hybrid electric concept car released in 2011.
- Q&A: Niki Smart and Gael Buzyn, lead designers, Cadillac | SmartPlanet
- Steve Cropley (1996), 'Your Starter for £10k', Autocar, October 16, 1996 pp74-77: "The project had its germination as a project for 100-odd students of Coventry's School of Transport Design" "As senior lecturer on the Coventry course, Saunders fell naturally into the role of financial manager, enabler and chief critic" "Most of the LSC's primary design is Smart's"
- Ariel Atom#Design origins
- RCA Show 2006 - Car Design News
- Caddy's ULC gets my vote | Autocar
- Photos: Four-Wheeled Future: The Cadillac Elmiraj Concept Car Is Not a Mirage but a Very Real Oasis—of Delight! | Vanity Fair
- From Overstatement To Elegance: Cadillac Will Tone Down Its Cars, And Elmiraj Concept Shows How - Forbes