|Alma mater||University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign (Ph.D 1989) |
Pennsylvania State University (MS 1983)
|Awards||IEEE Fellow (2008)
ACM Fellow (2014)
|Fields||Computer Science |
|Institutions||University of California, Irvine|
Nikil Dutt is a Chancellor's Professor of Computer Science at University of California, Irvine, United States. Professor Dutt's research interests are in embedded systems, electronic design automation, computer architecture, optimizing compilers, system specification techniques, distributed systems, and formal methods.
Born and raised in India, Dutt received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1989. He received a B.E.(Hons) in Mechanical Engineering from the Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, India in 1980, an M.S. in Computer Science from the Pennsylvania State University in 1983. In 1989, he joined UC-Irvine as an Assistant Professor of Computer science. He is affiliated with Center for Embedded Computer Systems (CECS), California Institute for Telecommunications and Information Technology (Calit2), the Center for Pervasive Communications and Computing (CPCC), and the Laboratory for Ubiquitous Computing and Interaction (LUCI).
His research has been recognized by Best Paper Awards and Best Paper Award Nominations at several conferences. Dutt currently serves as Associate Editor of Association for Computing Machinery Transactions on Embedded Computer Systems (TECS) and of IEEE Transactions on VLSI Systems (TVLSI).
In 2007, he was selected as ACM distinguished scientist and in 2008 an IEEE fellow. He was a keynote speaker at several conferences. Dutt served as Editor-in-Chief of ACM Transactions on Design Automation of Electronic Systems (TODAES) between 2004–2008.
He currently lives in Irvine, California with his family.
- 2014. ACM Fellow.
- For contributions to embedded architecture exploration, and service to electronic design automation and embedded systems.
- High-Level Synthesis: Introduction to Chip and System Design, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1992
- Memory Issues in Embedded Systems-on-Chip: Optimizations and Exploration, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1999
- Memory Architecture Exploration for Programmable Embedded Systems, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2003
- SPARK: A Parallelizing Approach to the High-Level Synthesis of Digital Circuits, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2004
- Functional Validation of Programmable Embedded Architectures: A Top-Down Approach, Springer-Verlag, 2005
- On-chip Communication Architectures: Current Practice, Research and Future Trends, Morgan Kaufmann/Elsevier Systems-on-Silicon Series, 2008
- Processor Description Languages: Applications and Methodologies," Morgan Kaufmann/Elsevier Systems-on-Silicon Series, 2008.
- - List of UCI Chancellor's Professors Archived 2002-11-15 at Bibliotheca Alexandrina, retrieved 2009-05-15.
- - Nikil Dutt's Webpage in the Department
- IEEE Fellows Archived 2009-07-07 at the Wayback Machine, IEEE. Accessed February 3, 2010. Election citation: for contributions to heterostructure-based optoelectronic and electronic devices.
- Nikil Dutt ACM Fellows 2014