||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Blonsky in January 2008
|Born||Nicole Margaret Blonsky
November 9, 1988
Great Neck, New York, United States
|Occupation||Actress, singer, dancer|
Nicole Margaret "Nikki" Blonsky (born November 9, 1988) is an American actress, singer, and dancer. She is best known for her role as Tracy Turnblad in the 2007 film Hairspray and as Maggie Baker in the 2008 film Queen Sized. She is also known for her starring role in the ABC Family original series Huge.
Blonsky was born and raised in Great Neck, New York. She is the daughter of Karen (née Smeja), a school aide, and Carl Blonsky, a Jewish municipal worker for the village water pollution control district. She is of Czech and Irish descent on her mother's side. She began singing at age three and started taking vocal lessons at the age of eight. She was raised Roman Catholic.
Blonsky attended Great Neck North Middle School, and attended John L. Miller Great Neck North High School for one year. Then she switched to Village School, an alternative high school with only 50 students. After school each day, she would attend the after-school theatre program at William A. Shine Great Neck South High School, where she participated in productions of Les Misérables, Sweeney Todd, Kiss Me, Kate, and the title role of the opera Carmen.
Blonsky said that she yearned to play the role of Tracy Turnblad since seeing Hairspray on Broadway on her 15th birthday. In 2007, while working at Cold Stone Creamery, she found out she had been cast in Adam Shankman's 2007 film adaptation.
Blonsky began work on her debut album in September 2007 and collaborated with alternative rock musician Duncan Sheik on a number of tracks.. Her first single, "On a High", a cover of one of Sheik's songs, was featured in Blonsky's Lifetime Original Movie Queen Sized. On December 18, 2007, she performed with the Turtle Creek Chorale in her first solo performance.
In 2009, Blonsky made a guest appearance on Ugly Betty, in the episode "Dressed for Success." Blonsky also co-starred in the MTV mystery series Valemont in 2009. She later starred in the short lived ABC Family series Huge, which premiered in June 2010, but was cancelled three months later.
In July 2008, Blonsky and her parents were involved in a violent confrontation with the family of Bianca Golden, a former contestant on America's Next Top Model, at the Providenciales International Airport in the Turks and Caicos. The Blonsky and Golden families reportedly fought over seats in the airport's departure area, leading to a brawl which left Golden's mother hospitalized. Golden, Blonsky, and Blonsky's father were all charged with assault. The charges against Blonsky were dropped in January 2009.
|2009||Ace of Cakes||Herself||Episode: "The Eagle Has Landed"|
|2009||Ugly Betty||Teri O'Shaughnessy||Episode: "Dressed for Success"|
|2010||Huge||Will Rader||10 episodes
Nominated – Teen Choice Award for Choice Summer TV Star: Female
|2011||Rocco's Dinner Party||Herself||Episode: "Runway Ready"|
- "Movies – News – Zac Efron prepares for 'Hairspray' – Digital Spy". Digitalspy.co.uk. November 7, 2008. Retrieved November 7, 2008.
- Kahn, Robert (July 15, 2007). "Nikki Blonsky's career takes hold with 'Hairspray'". New York's CW 11. Archived from the original on October 12, 2007. Retrieved July 21, 2007.
- Fischler, Marcelle S. (July 8, 2007). "The Big Time; For 'Hairspray' Star". The New York Times. Retrieved July 21, 2007.
- Bloom, Nate (July 10, 2007). "She's the Man: A Q&A with Amanda Bynes". Interfaith Family. Retrieved December 29, 2010.
- Fischler, Marcelle S. "For ‘Hairspray’ Star, ‘My Darn Dream Come True’", The New York Times, July 8, 2007. Accessed July 11, 2007.
- Fox, Michael (July 19, 2007). "ARTS: Welcome To The '60s". The Detroit Jewish News. Archived from the original on September 28, 2007. Retrieved July 21, 2007.
- Nikki Blonsky to Stir Up Trouble for Ugly Betty" TV Guide. November 4, 2008. Retrieved on November 5, 2008.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 22, 2010). "Nikki Blonsky to star in ABC Family's 'Huge'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 23, 2010.
- Barton, Chris (September 17, 2012). "'Smash' adds Broadway vets Nikki Blonsky, Jesse L. Martin". latimes.com. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- Tauber, Michelle (October 9, 2008). "Nikki Blonsky: Airport Brawl Left Me 'Destroyed'". People Magazine. Retrieved March 22, 2014.
- Daly, Bridget (January 9, 2009). "Nikki Blonsky Cleared Of Assault Charges". Hollyscoop.com. Retrieved March 22, 2014.
- "Nikki Blonsky: No beauty school dropout".
- Nikki Blonsky at the Internet Movie Database
- Nikki Blonsky at AllMovie
- Nikki's MySpace page
- "17 Year-Old Nikki Blonsky Cast as Hairspray Film's Tracy", BroadwayWorld.com, June 8, 2006
- "Breaking News: Unknown Lands Hairspray Lead", Cinematical.com, June 8, 2006
- "A ‘Hairspray’ dream come true", MSNBC/Access Hollywood, June 15, 2006