Galrani at the 1st IIFA Utsavam in 2016.
3rd January 1992 (age 25)|
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
|Education||Bishop Cotton Girls School|
|Occupation||Film actress, model|
Nikki Galrani (born 3 January 1992) is an Indian film actress, model and fashion designer who works predominantly in Tamil and Malayalam films. And also appeared in Kannada and Telugu films. Her first major commercial successful films are in Malayalam language 1983 (2014), Vellimoonga (2014) and in the Tamil language horror film Darling in 2015. She popularly came to be known as the Darling of Tamil cinema and Bhagya Nayaki(Lucky star) of Malayalam cinema. She has established a career in South Indian film industries as a leading actress, and she is a recipient of several awards. Kochi Times placed her fifth in their list of the "25 Most Desirable Women of 2015".
She starred in the commercially successful films 1983 (2014), Vellimoonga (2014), Darling (2015), and Velainu Vandhutta Vellaikaaran (2016). Consecutive success of films, making her most sought-after actresses in South Indian film industry. IBTimes called Galrani the most successful actress in Malayalam cinema.
Early years and personal life
Galrani was born on 3 January 1992 as the youngest daughter of Manohar Galrani and Reshma at Bangalore. She has an elder sister, Sanjjanaa who is also an actress. Galrani did her PUC from Bishop Cotton Girls School and later took up a course in fashion designing. She said that she did science in PUC because her parents and sister wanted her to become a doctor but that they later let her pursue designing. She then did modelling and appeared in many advertisements.
Nikki Galrani started her film career with the 2014 Malayalam language flick 1983, written and directed by fashion photographer Abrid Shine. It is a sports drama film starring Nivin Pauly in the male lead role. Nikki Galrani appeared as the second heroine in this film. She gave life to the character 'Manjula Sasidharan', a village girl and teenage lover of Rameshan (Nivin Pauly), who loves cricket more than anything. The character Manjula leaves Rameshan for another guy. She won awards from Filmfare, SIIMA and Vanitha for best debut actress. 1983 was produced by Shamsudheen under the banner of Shams Films. It was critical and commercial success at the box office.
Debut and breakthrough in Mollywood (2014)
Galrani made her acting debut in August 2013, She signed her first film to play the lead role in Ajith, the Kannada remake of the Tamil film Paiyaa, after an audition. Within three days, she had signed her next project, her first Tamil film, Yagavarayinum Naa Kaakka  and few weeks later, her first Malayalam film as well: 1983. In spite of being the last film she signed in 2013, 1983 released first in early 2014 and became her debut film and was her first major box office hit. She portrayed the role of Manjula Sasidharan, a rural village school girl  and said that the character was exactly the opposite of what she was in real life and that she had to sunbathe to get dark for the role. The film received critical acclaim and became a box office success, while Galrani went on to win the Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut – South for her performance.
A week later, Galrani had her second release, Nivin Pauly and Nazriya's Ohm Shanthi Oshaana, in which she had performed a cameo role. She had a third Malayalam release in 2014, Vellimoonga, in which she played a Christian nurse. The film, made on a budget of under ₹ 5 crores, went on to collect over ₹ 20 crores at the box office. At the end of the year, IBTimes called Galrani the most successful actress of 2014 in Malayalam cinema. Even before the release of her first Kannada film, she had been signed for three more Kannada projects as well: Jamboo Savari, a remake of the Telugu film Swamy Ra Ra, Obiraya  and Paravashanadenu, although the latter two were shelved midway. Ajith and Jamboo Savari released in quick succession in the second quarter of 2014. She had signed up Sharath A Haridaasan's Enthoru Bhagyam  and V. K. Prakash's next project, but had to opt out of both due to conflicting schedules.
Box office success and fame in Tamil (2015)
The delay of Yagavarayinum Naa Kaakka meant that the horror comedy Darling that she began shooting for much later became her debut Tamil release, which was a commercial success, collecting over ₹32 crore (US$4.8 million) against a budget of ₹10 crore. It was successfully completed over 365-day at the Kollywood Industry, and went on to become successful at the Indian box-office. Galrani portrayed a spirit possessed girl "that you will be rooting for", and her performance was well received by critics, who stated that she gave a "good performance"  and had "played her part really well". Sify.com stated that "Nikki Galrani is cute and adorable, she is quite good at emotional sequences as well". Darling was followed by the releases of her two Malayalam films Ivan Maryadaraman and Oru Second Class Yathra. and the Kannada film Siddhartha that featured her in a pivotal role which she shot for in August 2014. In June 2015, Yagavarayinum Naa Kaakka was eventually released. Her character in the film, she said, was a "carbon copy of what I am in my real life". Sify.com. In the movie she is seen riding a 500 cc Bullet motorcycle throughout the movie at very high speeds and stated that "Galrani’s infectious smile and energy is a major plus in the first half".
Debut in Tollywood and recognition (2016)
Galrani starred opposite Suresh Gopi in the Malayalam film Rudra Simhasanam. Her next Tamil film, Ko 2 was commercially successful at the Tamil box-office. And both of her Telugu language debut films performed fairly at the Tollywood box office. Galrani starred in Velainu Vandhutta Vellaikaaran (2016) a Tamil language film where she played a police officer opposite Vishnu Vishal. The film was financially successful. IndiaGlitz.com stated "Nikki added much more glamour to the film in songs and live entire the film by her stunt sequences". Galrani also made a cameo appearance in Shajahanum Pareekuttiyum. Her next Tamil film was opposite G. V. Prakash Kumar again, with Kadavul Irukaan Kumaru. Blasting News stated that "Nikki Galrani was spectacular, and the trio literally captured the soft part of audience's hearts".
Success continued (2017-18)
In 2017, Nikki acted in Tamil film Motta Shiva Ketta Shiva opposite Raghava Lawrence. She also acted in a Malayalam film Team 5 alongside S. Sreesanth which marks his debut as an actor. She also acted in Kalakalappu 2 opposite Jai and Jeeva and also signed pakka in Tamil.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2014||1983||Manjula Sasidharan||Malayalam||Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut – South|
Vanitha Film Award for Best Debut (Female)
SIIMA Film Award for Best Debut (Female)
|Ohm Shanthi Oshaana||Thennal K Warrier||Malayalam||Cameo appearance|
|Vellimoonga||Lisa||Malayalam||Asianet Film Award for Best New Face of the Year (Female)|
|2015||Darling||Nisha||Tamil||Edison Award for Best Debut Actress|
|Oru Second Class Yathra||Lakshmi||Malayalam|
|Yagavarayinum Naa Kaakka||Kayal||Tamil|
|Rudra Simhasanam||Thamburatti Haimavathy||Malayalam||Nominated, Asianet Award for best Actress|
|Rajamma @ Yahoo||Sherin||Malayalam|
|Malupu||Kayal||Telugu||Tamil Telugu bilingualmovie Yagavarayinum Naa Kaakka|
|Ko 2||Priya Dharshini||Tamil|
|Velainu Vandhutta Vellaikaaran||Archana||Tamil|
|Shajahanum Pareekuttiyum||Thresiama Punnoose||Malayalam||Cameo appearance|
|Kadavul Irukaan Kumaru||Priya||Tamil|
|2017||Motta Shiva Ketta Shiva||Jaanu||Tamil|
|Maragadha Naanayam||Chanakaya||Tamil||Dubbed in Telugu Marakathamani|
|Hara Hara Mahadevaki||Ramya||Tamil|
|Charlie Chaplin 2||TBA||Tamil||Filming|
Awards and nominations
|2014||SIIMA Film Award for Best Debut (Female)||SIIMA Film Awards||1983||Won|
|2014||Best Female Debut||Filmfare Awards||1983||Won|
|2014||Vanitha Film Award for Best Debut (Female)||Vanitha Film Awards||1983||Won|
|2014||Asianet Film Award for Best New Face of the Year (Female)||Asianet Film Awards||Vellimoonga||Won|
|2015||Kerala Film Critics Association Awards||Upcoming actress||1983||Won|
|2015||Edison Award for Best Debut Actress||Edison Awards||Darling||Won|
|2018||Abhirami Awards||Best Actress||Maragadha Naanayam||Won|
- Refers to the year in which the ceremony was held.
- "First Award to Best Nikki ! – KANNADA TIMES". Kannadatimes.com. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "Nikki Galrani Does A Thala Ajith, Continues To Shoot Even After An Injury". www.filmibeat.com.
- "Nikki Galrani moves to Chennai". m.timesofindia.com.
- "Actor Nikki Galrani, who debuts in Tamil with Darling, talks about playing a ghost in the film". m.thehindu.com.
- "DIRECTOR AJI JOHN TURNS ACTOR OPPOSITE SANJANA GILRANI". m.indiaglitz.com.
- "Nikki wraps work on her debut Malayalam film – Times of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 20 June 2013. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "Nikki has worked in all four South-Indian film industries". m.thehindu.com.
- "Nikki Galrani is indeed flying high having acted in all the four South Indian languages". m.thehindu.com.
- "BLOCKBUSTER TAMIL FILM OF 2015". Indiaglitz.com.
- "Actor Nikki Galrani, who debuts in Tamil with Darling, talks about playing a ghost in the film". m.thehindu.com.
- "She popularly came to be known as Darling Devil in the media". www.nowrunning.com.
- "I'm known as a Malayali actress: Nikki Galrani". m.timesofindia.com.
- "what next Nikki Galrani". www.sify.com.
- "Kochi Times Most Desirable Woman 2015". m.timesofindia.com.
- "Nikki Galrani tops McAfee's most searched Tamil celebrity list; Thala Ajith only male actor in top 5". www.catchnews.com.
- "Nikki Galrani, Nayanthara, Ajith Kumar most searched and sensational Tamil stars of 2016". www.ibtimes.co.in.
- "Actress Nikki Galrani most searched online". newstodaynet.com.
- "Lucky Nikki Telugu news". m.indiaglitz.com.
- "the-proust-questionnaire-nikki-galrani". m.thehindu.com.
- "Kelara I am called lucky star Nikki". m.timesofindia.com.
- "Nikki Galrani is the most successful actress in Malayalam cinema". International Business Times, India Edition. 31 December 2014. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "മഴവില്ലഴകി". Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- Zoya Philip (5 August 2013). "Nikki Galrani is rooted on a happy sisterhood | Deccan Chronicle". Archives.deccanchronicle.com. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "Interview With 1983 Actress Nikki Galrani". Kerala9.com. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "I write down the meaning of my lines to get my emotions right". m.timesofindia.com.
- "Sanjjanaa's sister Nikki makes Sandalwood debut – Times of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 23 January 2013. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- Vishal Menon. "Darling devil". The Hindu. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "Nikki Galrani to make her Kollywood debut – Times of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 20 February 2013. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "Nikki to debut in Mollywood – Times of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 4 June 2013. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "Nikki Galrani is excited about Valentine's Day – The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "I love Kerala: says Nikki Galrani – Times Of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "I had to sunbathe to change my complexion: says Nikki Galrani". The Times of India. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "In a span of a week Nikki Galrani is two films old – Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 6 February 2014. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "Winners: 62nd Britannia Filmfare Awards (South)". The Times of India. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "Nikki to play Christian nurse in her next political thriller". The Times of India. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "2014: When little gems outclassed big guns in southern cinema". www.hindustantimes.com. 10 March 2016.
- "FLASHBACK 2014: Bangalore days is the biggest earner". Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "Malayalam Cinema Review: Top 5 Debutants of 2014". International Business Times, India Edition. 31 December 2014. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "'Jamboosavari' shooting in Banglore's brigade road". Sify.com. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- A Sharadhaa (30 July 2013). "Debut princess". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "Nikki Roped in for Yogi's 25th film". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "Nikki Galrani signs Yogesh's 25th film". The Times of India. 24 February 2014. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- "Nikki Turns Busy in Mollywood". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "Asif Ali and Nikki Galrani in V K Prakash's next". The Times of India. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "Nikki Galrani opts out of V K Prakash's film". The Times of India. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "10 BLOCKBUSTER TAMIL FILMS OF 2015". Indiaglitz.com.
- "Tamil film 'Darling' became one of the biggest blockbuster hit in Tamil cinema by completing 365-day and collected over 50 crore". www.cinebilla.com.
- "Review: Darling is worth a watch". Rediff. 16 January 2015. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- IANS (16 January 2015). "'Darling' a crowd-pleasing tale of horror (Tamil Movie Review)". Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "Darling". www.sify.com.
- "It gets lonely even for actors: Nikki". The Times of India. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "Nikki to do cameo in Vinay Rajkumar's debut". The Times of India. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "Caught in the act: Nikki wears Sanjjanaa's outfit". The Times of India. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "Yaagavarayinum Naa Kaakka". www.sify.com.
- "A Family Thriller". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "Superhit! Ko 2 Movie 6th Day Box Office Collection Earing Report". www.dekhnews.com.
- "I'm known as a Malayali actress: Nikki Galrani". The Times of India. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "'Malupu' review roundup: Aadhi-Nikki Galrani's film bags good verdict, decent ratings from critics". m.ibtimes.co.in.
- "Krishnashtami' box office collections rise to Rs 6 crore in opening weekend". financial express news. 22 Feb 2016.
- "Malupu doing well at the box office". www.telugucinema.com.
- "features cinema a-halfyearly-report-on-kollywoods-run-at-the-box-office". m.thehindu.com.
- "velainu-vandhutta-vellaikaaran-tamil-movie-review". m.indiaglitz.com.
- "nikki-galranis-cameo-in-shajahanum-pareekuttiyum-malayalam-news". m.indiaglitz.com.
- "Actress Nikki Galrani who is often called the lucky charm of directors, with her cameos somehow having a positive impact on the movie, has not left behind such acts in spite of being a busy South Indian actress". m.indiaglitz.com.
- "'KADAVUL IRUKAN KUMARU' LIVE AUDIENCE RESPONSE". m.indiaglitz.com.
- "Tamil movie 'Kadavul Irukaan Kumaru' review and live audience response". us.blastingnews.com.
- "Motta Shiva Ketta Shiva weekend collection". ibtimes.
- "Nikki Galrani is all set for 'Malupu' release". www.sify.com.
- "I'm excited and it's a geeky rom-com and super-fun script, says Nikki Galrani". www.deccanchronicle.com.
- "Nikki Galrani wins best debutant award". m.timesofindia.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nikki Galrani.|