||masculine (predominantly) and feminine
||victory of the people (from Nikolaos)
|Region of origin
||Miklos, Mikołaj, Mikuláš, Nicholas, Nicola, Nicolas, Nikolaos, Nicolau, Nicolay, Niccolò, Nikolay, Nikolaj, Nick, Nico, Nicolina, Nicole
||see popular names
||Look up nikola in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
Nikola (Cyrillic: Никола, Serbo-Croatian pronunciation: [nǐkola]) is a given name which, like Nicholas, is a version of the Greek Nikolaos (Νικόλαος). It is common as a masculine given name in the South Slavic countries (Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia), while in West Slavic countries (Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia) it is primarily found as a feminine given name. There is a wide variety of male diminutives of the name, examples including: Niko, Nikolica, Nikolče, Nikša, Nikica, Nikulitsa, Nino, Kole, Kolyo, Kolyu.
The spelling with K, Nikola, reflects romanization of the Cyrillic spelling, while Nicola reflects Italian usage.
- Serbia: male name. 5th most popular in 2011, 1st in 2001, 1st in 1991, 5th in 1981, 9th pre-1940.
- Croatia: male name. 32,304 (2011).
- Bosnia and Herzegovina: male name.
- Bulgaria: male name.
- R. Macedonia: male name.
- Czech Republic: 22,567 females and 740 males (2002).
- Poland: female name.
- Slovakia: female name.
- Vlgdrag or monk Nikola (d. 1327), Serbian nobleman
- Nikola Altomanović (fl. 1371-73), Serbian prince
- Nikola Skobaljić (fl. 1454), Serbian general
- Nikola Frankopan, Croatian ban
- Nikola Šubić Zrinski, Croatian-Hungarian ban
- Nicholas I of Montenegro, King of Montenegro
- Prince Nikola of Yugoslavia (1928–1954), Serbian prince
- Nikola, Crown Prince of Montenegro (born 1944), Montenegrin prince
- Nikola Gruevski, Macedonian Prime minister
- Nikola Jorgic, Bosnian Serb soldier
- Nikola Karev, Macedonian revolutionary
- Nikola Kavaja, Serbian anti-communists
- Nikola Kljusev, Macedonian politician
- Nikola Ljubičić, Serbian politician
- Nikola Mandić, Croatian politician
- Nikola Milošević (politician), Serbian intellectual
- Nikola Mushanov, Bulgarian politician
- Nikola Pašić, Serbian politician and diplomat
- Nikola Šećeroski, Serbian politician
- Nikola Špirić, Bosnian Serb politician
- Nikola Uzunović, Serbian politician
- Nikola Vitov Gučetić, Ragusian statesman
- Nikola Zhekov, Bulgarian military
- Nikola Brejchová, Czech athlete
- Nikola Grbić, Serbian volleyball player
- Nikola Jerkan, Croatian footballer
- Nikola Jovanović, Montenegrin footballer
- Nikola Jurčević, Croatian footballer
- Nikola Karabatić, French team handball player
- Nikola Kotkov, Bulgarian footballer
- Nikola Kovachev, Bulgarian footballer
- Niko Kranjčar, Croatian footballer
- Nikola Kuljača, Serbian waterpolo goalkeeper
- Nikola Lazetić, Serbian footballer
- Nikola Mijailović (footballer), Serbian footballer
- Nikola Milojević, Serbian football goalkeeper
- Nikola Milošević (footballer), Serbian football midfielder
- Nikola Mirotić, Spanish basketball player of Montenegrin descent
- Nikola Nikezić, Montenegrin footballer
- Nikola Nikić, Bosnian Serb footballer
- Nikola Nimac, Croatian racer
- Nikola Peković, Montenegrin basketball player
- Nikola Petroff, Bulgarian wrestler
- Nikola Pilić, Yugoslav Croat professional tennis player
- Nikola Stojić, Serbian rower
- Nikola Sudová, Czech freestyle skier
- Nikola Vignjević, Serbian footballer
- Nikola Vučević, Montenegrin basketball player
- Nikola Vujčić, Croatian basketball player
- Nikola Žigić, Serbian footballer
- Doctor Nikola, a fictional supervillain in works of Guy Boothby
- Nikola, a Call of Duty zombie character.