Maksimović playing for Torino in 2015
|Full name||Nikola Maksimović|
|Date of birth||25 November 1991|
|Place of birth||Bajina Bašta, SFR Yugoslavia|
|Height||1.93 m (6 ft 4 in)|
|Kosmos Bajina Bašta|
|Sloga Bajina Bašta|
|2012–2013||Red Star Belgrade||25||(1)|
|2013–2014||→ Torino (loan)||23||(0)|
|2018||→ Spartak Moscow (loan)||9||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 23:45, 29 February 2020 (UTC)|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 17 November 2019
Nikola Maksimović (Serbian Cyrillic: Никола Максимовић, pronounced [nǐkola maksǐːmoʋitɕ]; born 25 November 1991) is a Serbian professional footballer who plays as a centre-back for Italian club Napoli and the Serbia national team.
Maksimović began his career with Kosmos Bajina Bašta, before moving to Sloga Bajina Bašta. He represented both clubs in youth competitions. Maksimović made his senior debut for Sevojno in the 2008–09 Serbian First League. He also played against FBK Kaunas and Lille in the 2009–10 UEFA Europa League.
In the summer of 2010, Sevojno merged with Sloboda Užice. On 19 September 2010, Maksimović received the first yellow card of his career during a match against Spartak Subotica, and scored the first goal of his professional career on 5 March 2011 in Lučani.
On 23 July 2013, he was loaned to Italian Serie A club Torino with a buyout clause; he made his official debut on 6 October as a substitute against Sampdoria in Genoa, finishing 2–2. Over the course of the season he earned a spot in the starting lineup, first, as a central defender, then as a right-sided midfielder.
On 31 August 2016 he was transferred to Napoli on loan with obligation to buy. On 28 September 2016, Maksimović made his debut in 4–2 home victory over Benfica. On 23 October 2016, he scored his first goal in Serie A, in 2–1 away victory over Crotone.
He made 4 appearances for the Serbian national youth teams: two with the under-19 and two with the under-21. He was first called up to the Serbian national team on 31 May 2012, for two friendly matches against France and Sweden, in which he was played as a starter. He returned for two friendlies against Ireland (where he entered in the second half) and Chile (from the onset), a 3–1 win.
Style of play
Able to play as a defensive midfielder, he grew up playing mainly as a central defender. He is agile for his considerable height (193 cm), combined with a predisposition for the air and marking opponents. At home he has been repeatedly compared to Nemanja Vidić.
Updated 29 February 2020.
|Sevojno||2008–09||Serbian First League||7||0||—||—||7||0|
|Sloboda Užice||2010–11||Serbian SuperLiga||20||1||3||0||—||—||23||1|
|Red Star Belgrade||2011–12||Serbian SuperLiga||12||0||3||0||—||—||15||0|
|Spartak Moscow (loan)||2017–18||Russian Premier League||9||0||2||0||—||—||11||0|
- As of 17 November 2019
- Red Star Belgrade
- "Spartak Subotica vs. Sloboda Užice". soccerway.com. Soccerway. 19 September 2010. Retrieved 8 April 2020.
- "Sloboda Užice vs. Hajduk Kula". soccerway.com. Soccerway. 5 March 2011. Retrieved 8 April 2020.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-09-23. Retrieved 2013-07-23.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Maksimovic è del Toro". torinofc.it. Torino Football Club. 27 May 2014. Retrieved 8 April 2020.
- "Maksimovic, verrà esercitata l'opzione". torinogranata.it. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- "Nikola Maksimovic". torinofc.it. Torino Football Club. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- "Ufficiale Maksimovic al Toro sino al 2018".
- "Maksimovic un sogno che si avvera".
- Maksimovic al Napoli‚ torinofc.it, 31 August 2016
- Maksimović debitovao za Napoli: Opustili se na kraju...‚ mozzartsport.com, 28 September 2016
- Ljajić u 93, Maksimović se upisao!‚ mondo.rs, 23 October 2016
- Никола Максимович перешел в «Спартак» (in Russian). FC Spartak Moscow. 26 January 2018.
- "Faroe Islands U19 vs. Serbia U19". soccerway.com. Soccerway. 8 October 2009. Retrieved 8 April 2020.
- "Serbia U19 vs. Greece U19". soccerway.com. Soccerway. 11 October 2009. Retrieved 8 April 2020.
- "Amichevoli. Francia Serbia 2–0. Ribery e Malouda i marcatori francesi" [Friendly. France Serbia 2-0. Ribery and Malouda the French scorers]. sportnews.eu (in Italian). Web 365. 31 May 2012. Retrieved 8 April 2020.
- "Chile vs. Serbia". soccerway.com. Soccerway. 14 November 2012. Retrieved 8 April 2020.
- "Calciomercato Milan, piace Maksimovic: in patria è considerato l'erede di Vidic" [Milan transfer market, Maksimovic likes: at home he is considered the heir of Vidic]. milanlive.it (in Italian). Next Media Web. 24 April 2013. Retrieved 8 April 2020.
- it:Nikola Maksimović#cite note-3
- Nikola Maksimović at Soccerway. Retrieved 11 July 2015.