|Nikolai Ivanovich Kostrov|
|Born||May 19, 1901
Vasilievskoye, Vyatka Province, Russian Empire
|Died||April 11, 1995
Saint Petersburg, Russian Federation
|Field||Painting, Graphic artist|
|Training||Repin Institute of Arts|
Nikolai Ivanovich Kostrov (Russian: Никола́й Ива́нович Костро́в; May 19, 1901, village Vasilievskoye, Vyatka Province of the Russian Empire – 1995, Saint Petersburg, Russian Federation) was a Russian Soviet painter, graphic artist, and illustrator, who lived and worked in Leningrad. He was a member of the Leningrad Union of Artists, and regarded as one of representatives of the Leningrad school of painting and graphics.
Nikolai Ivanovich Kostrov was born May 19, 1901 in the village Vasilievskoye, Viatka Province of Russian Empire.
In 1922, Nikolai Kostrov entered at the Leningrad VKHUTEIN (The Leningrad Higher Institute of Industrial Art, before 1918 known as the High Art School under Imperial Academy of Arts), where he studied under Alexander Savinov, Alexander Karev, and Michail Matjuschin.
In 1926 Nikolai Kostrov graduated from the VKHUTEIN together with Yuri Vasnetsov, Sofia Zaklikovskaya, Pavel Kondratiev, Vasily Kuptsov, Valentin Kurdov, Kirill Kustodiev, Evgenia Magaril, Gerta Nemenova, Alexei Pochteny, George Traugot, Evgeny Charushin, and other young artists.
Since 1926 Nikolai Kostrov has participated in Art Exhibitions. He painted portraits, landscapes, still lifes, worked as easel painter, graphic artist, and art illustrator. His personal exhibitions were in Leningrad (1937, 1962, 1973, 1979), in Saint-Petersburg (1996), and in Moscow (1974, 1983), partly together with his wife and artist Anna Kostrova.
Nikolai Kostrov was a member of the Leningrad Union of Artists since 1932.
Nikolai Ivanovich Kostrov died in Saint Petersburg on April 11, 1995. His paintings and graphics reside in State Russian Museum, in the Art Museums and private collections in the Russia, Germane, France, and others.
- Directory of Members of the Union of Artists of USSR. Volume 1.- Moscow: Soviet artist, 1979. - p.548.
- |Sergei V. Ivanov. Unknown Socialist Realism. The Leningrad School. Saint Petersburg, NP-Print Edition, 2007. P.244, 245, 363, 382-385, 387-391, 394, 396-398, 400, 401, 411, 413-415, 418-420, 442-444.
- Anniversary Directory graduates of Saint Petersburg State Academic Institute of Painting, Sculpture, and Architecture named after Ilya Repin, Russian Academy of Arts. 1915 - 2005. - Saint Petersburg: Pervotsvet Publishing House, 2007. p.25.
- Sergei V. Ivanov. Unknown Socialist Realism. The Leningrad School. Saint Petersburg, NP-Print Edition, 2007. P.244, 245, 363, 382-385, 387-391, 394, 396-398, 400, 401, 411, 413-415, 418-420, 442-444. ISBN 5-901724-21-6, ISBN 978-5-901724-21-7.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nikolai Kostrov.|
- Artist Nikolai Ivanovich Kostrov illustrated Art catalogue.
- Artist Nikolai Ivanovich Kostrov Biography and Bibliography.
- Sergei V. Ivanov. The Leningrad School of painting. Historical outline.
- Chronology of the Leningrad School of painting.
- Unknown Socialist Realism. Quests and Discoveries.