Wachsmann graduated from the London School of Economics with a Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree, from the University of Cambridge with a taught Master of Philosophy (MPhil) degree, and from the University of London with a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree. His doctoral thesis, which he completed in 2001, was titled "Reform and repression: prisons and penal policy in Germany, 1918-1939".
In October 1998, Wachsmann began his academic career as a research fellow at Downing College, Cambridge. He was then a lecturer at the University of Sheffield. In 2005, he joined the Department of History, Classics and Archaeology of Birkbeck, University of London.
Awards and honours
- 2004 Royal Historical Society Gladstone History Book Prize, winner for Hitler's Prisons.
- 2016 Jewish Quarterly-Wingate Prize, winner for KL: A History of the Nazi Concentration Camps.
- 2016 Mark Lynton History Prize, winner for KL: A History of the Nazi Concentration Camps.
- 2016 Wolfson History Prize, winner for KL: A History of the Nazi Concentration Camps.
- KL: A History of the Nazi Concentration Camps (New York, London, 2015)
- Die Linke im Visier. Zur Errichtung der Konzentrationslager 1933 (Göttingen, 2014), co-edited with Professor Sybille Steinbacher
- The Nazi Concentration Camps, 1933-1939: A Documentary History (Lincoln, 2012), co-edited with Dr. Christian Goeschel
- Concentration Camps in Nazi Germany: The New Histories (London, 2010), co-edited with Professor Jane Caplan
- "Before the Holocaust: New Approaches to the Nazi Concentration Camps, 1933-1939", special issue of Journal of Contemporary History 45 (2010), Nr. 3, co-edited with Dr. Christian Goeschel
- Hitler's Prisons: Legal Terror in Nazi Germany (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2004).
- "Professor Nikolaus Wachsmann". Department of History, Classics and Archaeology. Birkbeck, University of London. 3 May 2017. Retrieved 14 May 2017.
- Nikolaus Daniel, Wachsmann (2001). "Reform and repression: prisons and penal policy in Germany, 1918-1939". E-Thesis Online Service. The British Library Board. Retrieved 14 May 2017.
- "College Notices: Downing College". Cambridge University Reporter. CXXVIII (23). 30 April 1998. Retrieved 14 May 2017.
- "Latest Prize Winners - The Wolfson Foundation". Archived from the original on 2013-09-04.
- Professor Nikolaus Wachsmann. Birkbeck College. Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- Fisher, Ben (March 14, 2016). "Nikolaus Wachsmann Wins Jewish Quarterly-Wingate Prize". Jewish Quarterly.
- "Susan Southard, Nikolaus Wachsmann and Steve Luxenberg Named Winners of the 2016 J. Anthony Lukas Prize Project Awards". nieman.harvard.edu. Retrieved 2016-04-06.
|This article about a German historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|