This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Logothetis is director of the department "Physiology of Cognitive Processes" at the Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics in Tübingen. He studied music and mathematics at the University of Athens and completed a doctorate in biology in Munich with Ernst Pöppel. His research interests lie in exploring the neural mechanisms of visual perception.
According to Logothetis, in order to understand a system, a description of it is necessary at all levels . As a result, intracortical cell recording and also modeling and imaging is conducted at all levels in his department. Therefore, in addition to functional magnetic resonance imaging, 'in vivo' spectroscopy is also used, and the working group is researching smart contrast agents (SCA) in order to make functional imaging useful for effects other than haemodynamic response.
Logothetis is one of the 2003 winners of the Louis-Jeantet Prize for Medicine.
- Logothetis, N. K.; Guggenberger, Heinz; Peled, Sharon; Pauls, Jon (1999). "Functional imaging of the monkey brain". Nature Neuroscience. 2: 555–562. doi:10.1038/9210.
- Logothetis, N. K.; Sheinberg, D. L. (1996). "Visual object recognition". Annual Review of Neuroscience. 19: 577–621. doi:10.1146/annurev.ne.19.030196.003045.
- Blake, Randolph; Logothetis, N. K. (2001). "Visual competition". Nature Reviews Neuroscience. 3: 1–11. doi:10.1038/nrn701. PMID 11823801.
- Logothetis, N. K.; Pauls, Jon; Auguth, M.; Trinath, T.; Oeltermann, A. (July 2001). "A neurophysiological investigation of the basis of the BOLD signal in fMRI". Nature. 412 (6843): 150–157. doi:10.1038/35084005. PMID 11449264.
- Logothetis, N. K. (2002). "The neural basis of the blood–oxygen–level–dependent functional magnetic resonance imaging signal". Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B. 357: 1003–1037. doi:10.1098/rstb.2002.1114.
- Logothetis, N. K. (2003). "The underpinnings of the BOLD functional magnetic resonance imaging signal". Journal of Neuroscience. 23: 3963–3971.
- Logothetis, N. K.; Pfeuffer, Josef (2004). "On the nature of the BOLD fMRI contrast mechanism". Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 22: 1517–1531. doi:10.1016/j.mri.2004.10.018.
- Logothetis, N. K.; Wandell, Brian A. (2004). "Interpreting the BOLD signal". Annual Review of Physiology. 66: 735–769. doi:10.1146/annurev.physiol.66.082602.092845.
- Logothetis, N. K. (2008). "What we can do and what we cannot do with fMRI". Nature. 453: 869–878. doi:10.1038/nature06976. PMID 18548064.
- "Nikos Logothetis". kyb.mpg.de. 2011. Retrieved 7 September 2011.