Patel at Collision Conference 2016 in New Orleans, Louisiana
|Residence||Brooklyn, New York|
University of Chicago (A.B.)|
University of Wisconsin (J.D.)
|Occupation||Editor-in-chief, The Verge|
|Known for||Engadget, This Is My Next, The Verge|
Nilay Patel is an Indian American lawyer, editor, and journalist, best known for his work at technology news websites Engadget and The Verge. Nilay had his first blogging gig at Gapers Block, a Chicago-centric blog. He was offered a full-time job at Engadget in 2008. After serving at Engadget, he left in 2011 and went on to work for The Verge. In 2014 he left The Verge to join sister site Vox, but later returned to The Verge to become its new editor-in-chief, replacing Joshua Topolsky.
Patel spent four years at Engadget where he was responsible for blogging. SAY Media named Patel one of the 10 "Voices that matter" in technology journalism. Throughout his career, he has appeared on NHK, G4TV, and TWiT, among many others. Patel was also a co-host for The Vergecast. Andrew Beaujon of the Poynter Institute cited Patel's work at The Verge as an example of how lawyer-journalists are useful for news websites.
In 2011 Patel left Engadget along with a few co-workers to create The Verge. In March 2014 he left The Verge to join sister site Vox, then he returned in July 2014 and became Editor-in-Chief of The Verge, after Joshua Topolsky left the position to work at Bloomberg.
- "Why news sites benefit from having writers with legal backgrounds". Poynter Institute. 2013-01-18. Retrieved 2015-12-23.
- "Top Engadget Editors Depart AOL Tech Site - Kara Swisher - News". AllThingsD. 2011-03-12. Retrieved 2014-03-24.
- Patel, Nilay. "Welcome to the future". Retrieved 2015-04-14.
- "Nilay Patel Managing Editor". Vox. Vox Media. Retrieved 12 September 2013.
- Beaujon, Andrew (January 18, 2013). "Why news sites benefit from having writers with legal backgrounds". Poynter Institute. Archived from the original on October 8, 2013. Retrieved October 8, 2013.
- Southcott, Chris (2014-07-25). "Beyond The Verge: Joshua Topolsky leaves Vox Media for Bloomberg, while Nilay Patel returns as EIC". techgeek. Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- Swisher, Kara (2014-03-23). "Nilay Patel, No Longer Managing Editor of The Verge, Moves to Vox.com". Re/code. Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- "Nilay Patel becomes Editor-in-Chief of The Verge, Dieter Bohn is Executive Editor". Vox. Vox Media. Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- Abbruzzese, Jason (2014-07-24). "Josh Topolsky on Leaving The Verge and His Future at Bloomberg". Mashable. Retrieved 2015-08-19.
|This article about an American journalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|