Nilkhet (নীলক্ষেত) is a neighbourhood in Dhaka, the capital city of Bangladesh. It is sandwiched between Dhaka University to the east, Mirpur Road and New Market to the west, and Elephant Road to the north. The name Nilkhet (nil: blue or indigo, khet: field) implies that the area may have been used for indigo cultivation in earlier times.
However, Nilkhet has a completely different identity today. The market has long been the center of the second-hand book trade in Dhaka. It contains several dozen shops that deal in used books and magazines, especially English-language material published in the West. The Nilkhet is regularly patronized by the city's English-language readers, who go there in search of foreign books, journals and comics that are either unavailable elsewhere or only available new at a prohibitive price. Thousands of people regularly visit Nilkhet book stores to find out their daily necessary books.
Because of its proximity to Dhaka University, Dhaka Medical College and BUET as well as several major colleges such as Dhaka College, Eden College and College of Home Economics the Nilkhet market has also become a major source of academic material for the city's students. Textbooks of all levels (from primary to tertiary) and for all disciplines may be purchased at Nilkhet. It also has many shops that provide auxiliary services for students, such as photocopying, word-processing and book-binding. Indeed, “photocopying at Nilkhet” is a common rite of passage for nearly all students of nearby Universities during their undergraduate and postgraduate years.
- "বইয়ের স্বর্গ নীলক্ষেতের গল্প". Natun Barta Top Online Newspaper in Bangladesh - natunbarta.com. Retrieved 2019-11-02.
- "Worries haunt Nilkhet vendors". Dhaka Tribune. Archived from the original on 2016-05-04. Retrieved 2016-05-03.
- "কী বই চান? নীলক্ষেতে আসুন!". The Daily Sangram. Retrieved 2019-11-02.
- "বইয়ের বাজার নীলক্ষেত". old.dhakatimes24.com. Retrieved 2019-11-02.
- "নীলক্ষেত বই মার্কেট". online dhaka guide. Retrieved 2019-11-02.
- "নীলক্ষেতে পুরনো বইয়ের গন্ধ". dailyjagaran.com. 2019-04-20. Retrieved 2019-11-02.
|This Dhaka Division location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|