|Elevation||237 m (778 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Sex Ratio||904:1000 ♂/♀|
Nilokheri (Hindi: नीलोखेड़ी) is a town and a municipal committee in Karnal district in the Indian state of Haryana. It has 13 wards. The town is located about 143 km from Delhi on National Highway 1 and is well connected to rail routes as well.
- 1 History
- 2 Geography
- 3 Physiography
- 4 Climate
- 5 Flora and fauna
- 6 Demographics
- 7 Administration
- 8 Common Service Center
- 9 Utility services
- 10 Transport
- 11 Healthcare
- 12 Places of interest
- 13 Employment and education
- 13.1 Institutes and organisations
- 13.2 Other Government offices, institutions and organisations
- 13.3 Primary and secondary schools
- 13.4 Basic schools
- 14 Law and order
- 15 Religion and social structure
- 16 Social welfare
- 17 Public Service Center
- 18 Trade, commerce and banking
- 19 Wards and areas
- 20 Villages in Nilokheri Tehsil
- 21 See also
- 22 References
- 23 External links
Established in 1948, after the Partition of India, social visionary Shri S. K. Dey. by establishing a new township at Nilokheri to house the displaced persons coming from Pakistan, at that Karnal, Haryana at that time Punjab. Nilokheri was founded and planned as the new capital of the state of Punjab. Impressed by the planning of the town, Pandit Jawhar Lal Nehru used to call it the town of his dreams. However, the town faced a heavy flood at a time when only 7 of its many planned sectors were developed. In view of this, the capital of Punjab was kept at Chandigarh.
Nilokheri is located at  It has an average elevation of 237 metres (830 feet)..
||Ludhiana, Bhatinda||Kurukshetra, Ambala, Chandighar-123 Km.||Jagadhri, Saharanpur-40.9 Km, Dehradun-80.8 Km.|
|Pehowa, Pundri, Anjanthali||Indri, Yamuna Nagar-Km.|
|Kaithal, Narwana, Jind||Taraori, Karnal, Gharaunda, Panipat, Sonipat, New Delhi-143 Km.||Shamli, Meerut|
The town Nilokheri lies in Nardak, Khadir and Bangar area and is surrounded by G. T. Road in the east, Railway track of Northern Railways in the west, Chautang Nalla, a natural drain in the north and three irrigation water works i.e. Rakshi distributory, Chapad Nalla and Indri Drain in the south. To the extreme northern outskirts lies Sirsa-Yamuna canal. Rakshi distributory further is divided into two channels at this south point of Nilokheri. All these act as physical barrier in the expansion of the town.
Nilokheri has extreme temperatures all year.
Flora and fauna
Nilokheri has not much of biodiversity in flora and fauna. Trees and plants found over this township region are babul/kikar, eucalyptus, sehtoot/mulberry, jamun, putus bushes, congress grass or gajar ghans etc. Birds found over this township region are sparrows, mynas, pigeons, kingfishers, parrots, egrets, etc. The species of fauna found over this township region include domestic animals such as cows, buffaloes, horses etc. including some reptiles such as mongoose, snakes etc. and some wild fishes like catfish.
As of 2001[update] India census"Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01., Nilokheri had a population of 16,400. Males constitute 52% of the population and females 48%. Nilokheri has an average literacy rate of 73%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 77%, and female literacy is 69%. In Nilokheri, 13% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Nilokheri is a town and a municipal committee in Karnal district in the Indian state of Haryana. It has a Tehsil. The current MLA of Nilokheri is Bhagwan Dass Kabirpanthi . Nilokheri has a polling strength of 12517. 
Common Service Center
CSCs was recently opened by government at Nilokheri Block. Many service like Aadhar Card Registration, Aadhar Enrollment, E-Aadhar Letter Download & Print, various insurance services, Passport, LIC, E-Nagrik & E- District Services like Birth & Death Certificate are provided. The other services also may be provided like Ration Card Application Form, Pension, NIOS Registration, PAN Card etc. 
The water supply in Nilokheri is managed by its Jal Board and is very well managed. Nilokheri's Electric Supply Undertaking is managed by the UHBVN.BSNL provides tele-services for landline and mobile and many other services. Many private telecom operators are also offering their services in the city as Vodafone Essar, Airtel, Idea, Reliance, Tata, MTS, Aircel. Utility services are well managed including water supplies, irrigation and agriculture, banking. Medical services are served by a Civil Hospital and private hospitals.
Nilokheri is well connected via Rail and Road routes.
By rail it is on the main BG line that connects the national capital to Chandigarh. Nilokheri is now well connected with major cities of India via rail routes and one of the most profitable station in Northern Railways. Nilokheri Railway Station was built in 1983 with its station code as NLKR.
National Highway 1 (India) Grand Trunk Road built by Sher Shah Suri passes through Nilokheri. Roads connecting major cities are providing movement for passenger and freight traffic. There is a district road connecting Kurukshetra to Salarpur to Nilokheri HR State highway 33 Karsa Dhand (N.K.D.) road serving the purpose of connectivity of nearby towns and villages.
There is a civil hospital run by state government having variety of facilities fulfilling the purpose of ill and diseased people. There is also a Veterinary Hospital in Poultry Area, Nilokheri.
Places of interest
There are some very few places to visit in Nilokheri. Gole Market Park is one of them. It is situated almost at the center i.e. heart of the city surrounded by the local market. Many people come to this place in morning and evening. Govt. High school play ground and Polytechnic Institute's play ground for games, Dusshera, Diwali celebrations etc.
Employment and education
Nilokheri is a regional hub for leading pre-schools, primary and secondary schools. Some of the best schools in this region are in Nilokheri. Nilokheri is the hub not only for higher secondary education but also for Technical education for the people of the town but also for people of nearby areas.
Institutes and organisations
Nilokheri has various institute and centres. These institutes help people by providing apprentice and entrepreneurship training for a better future and help in getting better employment opportunities.
Academic Technical Learning Institute
There are three government institutions for attaining and up gradation to technical education namely
- Guru BrahamaNand Ji Govt. Polytechnic Institute Nilokheri
- Government Engineering College, Nilokheri
- Central Tool Room Extension Center, Nilokheri earlier functional as Integrated Industrial Training Centre, Nilokheri now affiliated to Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises
Learning & training institute for employed personnel
- Extension Education Institute Nilokheri, Karnal (Haryana) is one of the premier and pioneer training Institutes of the country was established in 1959 under Ministry of Agriculture, Chaudhary Charan Singh Haryana Agricultural University.
- Rajiv Gandhi State Institute of Panchayati Raj & Community Center. In April, 1967 the training centre was entrusted by the Govt. of India to the State Govt. of Haryana under the control of Development & Panchayat Department and it was renamed as the "State Community Development Training Centre, (E.T.C.) Nilokheri District Karnal (Haryana)”.
- Haryana Institute of Rural Development, Nilokheri was established in 1990.
Other Government offices, institutions and organisations
- Government of India Press, Nilokheri.
- Post Office Nilokheri (Sub Office), Karnal, Haryana HR), India (IN), Pin Code:- 132117.
- BSNL, Nilokheri (Sub Office ) state-owned telecommunications company .
- Sanatan dharam Girls college affiliated to Kurukshetra University.
- Agro Engineering Workshop, Nilokheri was set up in 1968-1969. It is a unit of Haryana Agro Industries Corporation Limited (A Government of Haryana Undertaking).
- Haryana State Cooperative Supply and Marketing Federation Ltd (HAFED) was set up on November 1, 1966. One of the largest apex cooperative federation of Government of Haryana.
Primary and secondary schools
- Govt. Sr. Sec. School affiliated to Haryana Board of School Education Bhiwani,
- S.D.M.N. Vidya Mandir Sr. Secondary School affiliated to Central Board of Secondary Education,
- D.A.V. Centenary Public School, Nilokheri affiliated to Central Board of Secondary Education,
- Swami Shradhanand Model High School (Arya Smaj) Sr. Secondary School affiliated to Haryana Board of School Education Bhiwani,
- Meera Bai School affiliated to Haryana Board of School Education Bhiwani,
- Green Vally Public School affiliated to Haryana Board of School Education Bhiwani.
- St. Luke's Public School affiliated to Haryana Board of School Education Bhiwani.
- Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya Karnal is situated on Kachhawa Road comes under jurisdiction of Nilokheri is located at distance of 15 km from Karnal City.
There are four basic schools of state govt. affiliated to Department of Elementary Education, Haryana H.B.S.E Bhiwani,
- Basic School, Poultry area
- Basic School IED Model
- Basic School,
- Basic School, School Area.
- Small Wonder Pre-School, Nilokheri
Law and order
People over here are very peaceful and they all love communal harmony. This town also has a multicultural aspect with the people having different religious belief residing in this small town.Hindus constitute the bulk of population followed by Sikhs and a small no. of Catholic & CNI Christian. People from various places like Delhi, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Jharkhand & West Bengal also reside peacefully in this small town.
- Kalimata Mandir, G.T. Road
- Shri Sanatan Dharam Mandir
- Arya Samaj Mandir
- Sanatan Dharam Mandir
- Hanuman Mandi, Kissan Basti
- Law Dwara Mandir, Kissan Basti
- Lakshmi Mandir, station area
- Shri Ganeshwar Mahadev Mandir, station area
- Ravidass Mandir, poultry area
- Sai Baba Mandir, Kisan Basti
- Sita Mai Temple, the only temple in the whole of India that is solely dedicated to the Hindu Goddess Sita is 19 kilometers away
- Gurudwara, Karsa Road
- Gurudwara, Kissan Basti
- Gurudwara, poultry area
|Seventh-day Adventist Church|
|Seventh-day Adventist Church, Nilokheri|
Other religious societies and communities
- Radha Soami Satsang Beas, Nilokheri , Butana Road, Nilokheri.
- Arya Samaj flourished in the city long time ago.
Community and castes
It also has a care center for disabled children called Viklang Kendra .
Public Service Center
Nilokheri also has a multi purpose public care centre for services like adhaar & voter cards upgradation and other Govt. survey etc.
Trade, commerce and banking
It is also the trading hub as this are has a good cultivation & productivity of rice & wheat as well. It has a two grain market, new grain market and government old grain market. It also has two warehouse for the storage of food grains. FCI Godown, railway Road & other at the G.T. Road.
There are various banks facilitating people of the town as well as other from near by areas. ATMs of these banks are also situated all over the town for the facility of banking activities.
- Allahabad Bank
- State Bank of India
- State Bank of Patiala
- Punjab National Bank
- HDFC Bank
- Oriental Bank of Commerce
- Union Bank of India
- Axis Bank
- ICICI Bank
- Uco Bank
- Canara Bank
Wards and areas
There are 13 wards & various areas & Colony come under these wards given below
- Kissan Basti, one of the oldest area in Nilokheri
- Neel Nagar
- Poultry Area
- Station Area
- School Cum Canal Area
- Detention Tank Area
- Hospital Area
- Shanti Nagar
- School Area
- Station Area
List of colonies for the residential purpose of Govt. employees employed in center govt. and state govt. departments.
- New Extension Education Institute Colony
- Old Press Colony
- New Press Colony
- H.I.R.D. Colony
- Old Govt. Polytechnic Colony
- New Govt. Polytechnic Colony
- Railway Colony
Villages in Nilokheri Tehsil
- Abli Khalsa
- Anjan Thali
- Arjaheri (3.3 km)
- Bhaini Kalan
- Bhaini Khurd
- Bir Badalwa
- Bir Dhandari
- Bir Naraina
- Brahman Majra
- Dheru Majra
- Galb Kheri
- Hai Batpur
- Khawaja Ahmadpur
- Majra Roran
- Manak Majra
- Nilokheri (MC)
- Padhana (3.3 km)
- Pujam (3.1 km)
- Raipur Roran
- Ramana Ramani
- Samana Bhau
- Sandhir (3.8 km)
- Sherpur Viran
- Son Kera
- Taraori (MC)
Distance of nearby places
Towns nearby Nilokheri (0 km), Indri (11.5 km), Nissing At Chirao (17.1 km), Karnal (17.5 km),...
- Outline of India
- Index of India-related articles
- Bibliography of India
- List of people from Nilokheri
- India – Wikipedia book
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Nilokheri
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nilokheri.|