Nils Sigurd Aas (21 April 1933 – 10 February 2004) was a Norwegian sculptor. His art is featured in the public space in many parts of Norway, and he is represented with important works in the National Museum of Art, Architecture and Design and the Trondheim Kunstmuseum.
Nils Sigurd Aas was born in Inderøy, in Nord-Trøndelag County, Norway. He grew up in a family of prominent cabinet makers. He was educated at Norwegian National Academy of Fine Arts (1954–58). He subsequently worked as assistant to Norwegian abstract sculptor Arnold Haukeland (1920–1983). While working with Haukeland, Aas was introduced to an abstract idiom. He made his debut as a sculptor at the Autumn Exhibition in 1964.
Important works by Nils Aas include statues of Grete Waitz, Henrik Ibsen and Charles Chaplin and a large number of portrait busts - including those of Einar Gerhardsen, Johan Borgen, Arthur Rubinstein, Håkon Bleken, Harald Sæverud, Jakob Weidemann and Rolf Jacobsen. Nils Aas also designed a number of medals and coins, most notably the current 10 - and 20-crown coin.
Awards and honors
- 1972 Oslo City Culture Prize
- 1984 Statens æreslønn
- 1990 Anders Jahres kulturpris
- 1990 Knight of the Order of St. Olav
- 1996 Inderøy Municipality Culture Prize
- 2001 Per Palle Storms award
Nils Aas Kunstverksted
Nils Aas Kunstverksted, located in Inderøy, has a permanent collection of his work. The building is designed by Nils Aas. The most notable piece is a huge circular monument made in birch wood, situated in the centre of the museum. Many of the sculptor’s busts of famous Norwegians are also on permanent display. In addition the museum features a workshop for art lessons and a museum shop. Artworks The facility opened during 1996. Nearby is Muustrøparken sculpture garden. Nils Aas had donated eight sculptures to the park, here are 6 small and 2 large sculptures.
- Haakon VII - 7. juni-plassen, Oslo
- Hjalmar Andersen - Bislett Stadium, Oslo
- Henrik Ibsen - Den Nationale Scene, Bergen
- Charlie Chaplin - Colosseum Cinema, Oslo
- Anne Stine and Helge Ingstad - Vikingskipshuset, Oslo
- Marilyn Monroe - Haugesund
- P.C. Reinsnes - Sortland
- Mint of Norway present coins
- Nils Aas Kunstverksted website
- Den Gyldne Omvei: Nils Aas Kunstverksted
- NRK.no: Nils Aas