April 5, 1972 |
Houston, Texas, U.S.
Institute for Advanced Study
|Alma mater||University of Toronto
University of California, Berkeley
|Known for||Large extra dimensions
|Notable awards||Gribov Medal of the European Physical Society (2003)
Sackler Prize of Tel Aviv University (2008)
Phi Beta Kappa Teaching Award (2005)
Fundamental Physics Prize (2012)
Nima Arkani-Hamed (born April 5, 1972) is an American-Canadian theoretical physicist with interests in high-energy physics, string theory and cosmology. Arkani-Hamed is now on the faculty at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, New Jersey. He was formerly a professor at Harvard University and the University of California, Berkeley.
Arkani-Hamed's parents, Jafargholi "Jafar" Arkani-Hamed and Hamideh Alasti are both physicists from Iran. His father, a native of Azeri city Tabriz, was chairman of the physics department at Sharif University of Technology in Tehran, and later taught earth and planetary sciences at McGill University in Montreal.
Arkani-Hamed graduated from the University of Toronto with a Joint Honours degree in Mathematics and Physics in 1993, and went to the University of California, Berkeley, for his graduate studies, where he worked under the supervision of Lawrence Hall. The majority of his graduate work was on studies of supersymmetry and flavor physics. His Ph.D dissertation was titled "Supersymmetry and Hierarchies". He completed his Ph.D in 1997 and went to SLAC at Stanford University for post-doctoral studies. During this time he worked with Savas Dimopoulos and developed the paradigm of large extra dimensions.
In 1999 he joined the faculty of the University of California, Berkeley physics department. He took a leave of absence from Berkeley to visit Harvard University beginning January 2001. Shortly after arriving at Harvard he worked with Howard Georgi and Andrew Cohen on the idea of emergent extra dimensions, dubbed dimensional deconstruction. These ideas eventually led to the development of little Higgs theories.
He officially joined Harvard's faculty in the fall of 2002. Arkani-Hamed has appeared on various television programs and newspapers talking about space, time and dimensions and the current state of theoretical physics. In 2003 he won the Gribov Medal of the European Physical Society, and in the summer of 2005 while at Harvard he won the Phi Beta Kappa award for teaching excellence. He appeared in the 2013 documentary film Particle Fever. He participated in the Stock Exchange of Visions project in 2007. In 2008, he won the Raymond and Beverly Sackler Prize given at Tel Aviv University to young scientists who have made outstanding and fundamental contributions in Physical Science.
Nima Arkani-Hamed was a Professor of Physics at Harvard University from 2002–2008, and is now a Faculty member of the Institute for Advanced Study. Arkani-Hamed was selected for being a member of The Selection Committee for the 2015 Breakthrough Prize in Fundamental Physics.
Honors and awards
In July 2012, he was an inaugural awardee of the Fundamental Physics Prize, the creation of physicist and internet entrepreneur, Yuri Milner. He has previously won the Sackler Prize from Tel Aviv University in 2008, the Gribov Medal from the European Physical Society in 2003, and the INFN-Pisa Gamberini prize in 1997. He was awarded the Packard and Sloan Fellowship in 2000.
- N. Arkani-Hamed; S. Dimopoulos; G. Dvali (1998). "The Hierarchy Problem and New Dimensions at a Millimeter". Phys. Lett. B 429 (3-4): 263–272. arXiv:hep-ph/9803315. Bibcode:1998PhLB..429..263A. doi:10.1016/S0370-2693(98)00466-3.
- I Antoniadis; N. Arkani-Hamed; S. Dimopoulos; G. Dvali (1998). "New Dimensions at a Millimeter to a Fermi and Superstrings at a TeV". Phys. Lett. B 436 (3-4): 257–263. arXiv:hep-ph/9804398. Bibcode:1998PhLB..436..257A. doi:10.1016/S0370-2693(98)00860-0.
- N. Arkani-Hamed; S. Dimopoulos; G. Dvali (1999). "Phenomenology, Astrophysics and Cosmology of Theories with Sub-Millimeter Dimensions and TeV Scale Quantum Gravity". Phys. Rev. D 59 (8): 086004. arXiv:hep-ph/9807344. Bibcode:1999PhRvD..59h6004A. doi:10.1103/PhysRevD.59.086004.
- Arkani-Hamed, Nima; Savas Dimopoulos; Georgi Dvali (August 2000). "The Universe's Unseen Dimensions". Scientific American 283 (2): 62–69. doi:10.1038/scientificamerican0800-62. PMID 10914401.
- N. Arkani-Hamed; A.G. Cohen; H. Georgi (2001). "(De)Constructing Dimensions". Phys. Rev. Lett. 86 (21): 4757–4761. arXiv:hep-th/0104005. Bibcode:2001PhRvL..86.4757A. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.86.4757. PMID 11384341.
- Little Higgs theories:
- N. Arkani-Hamed; A. G. Cohen; H. Georgi (2001). "Electroweak symmetry breaking from dimensional deconstruction". Phys. Lett. B. 513: 232–240. arXiv:hep-ph/0105239. Bibcode:2001PhLB..513..232A. doi:10.1016/S0370-2693(01)00741-9.
- N. Arkani-Hamed; A.G. Cohen; T. Gregoire; J.G. Wacker (2002). "Phenomenology of Electroweak Symmetry Breaking from Theory Space". JHEP 0208 (08): 020. arXiv:hep-ph/0202089. Bibcode:2002JHEP...08..020A. doi:10.1088/1126-6708/2002/08/020.
- N. Arkani-Hamed; A.G. Cohen; T. Gregoire; E. Katz; A.E. Nelson & J.G. Wacker (2002). "The Minimal Moose for a Little Higgs". JHEP 0208 (08): 021. arXiv:hep-ph/0206020. Bibcode:2002JHEP...08..021A. doi:10.1088/1126-6708/2002/08/021.
- N. Arkani-Hamed; A.G. Cohen; E. Katz; A.E. Nelson (2002). "The Littlest Higgs". JHEP 0207 (07): 034. arXiv:hep-ph/0206021. Bibcode:2002JHEP...07..034A. doi:10.1088/1126-6708/2002/07/034.
- N. Arkani-Hamed; H.C. Cheng; M. A. Luty; S. Mukohyama (2004). "Ghost condensation and a consistent infrared modification of gravity". JHEP 0405 (05): 074. arXiv:hep-th/0312099. Bibcode:2004JHEP...05..074H. doi:10.1088/1126-6708/2004/05/074.
- N. Arkani-Hamed; S. Dimopoulos (2005). "Supersymmetric unification without low energy supersymmetry and signatures for fine-tuning at the LHC". JHEP 0506 (06): 073. arXiv:hep-th/0405159. Bibcode:2005JHEP...06..073A. doi:10.1088/1126-6708/2005/06/073.
- N. Arkani-Hamed; S. Dimopoulos; G.F. Giudice; A. Romanino (2005). "Aspects of split supersymmetry". Nucl. Phys. B 0709: 3–46. arXiv:hep-ph/0409232. Bibcode:2005NuPhB.709....3A. doi:10.1016/j.nuclphysb.2004.12.026.
- Dark Matter:
- N. Arkani-Hamed; N. Weiner (2008). "LHC Signals for a SuperUnified Theory of Dark Matter". JHEP 0812 (12): 104. arXiv:0810.0714. Bibcode:2008JHEP...12..104A. doi:10.1088/1126-6708/2008/12/104.
- N. Arkani-Hamed; D.P. Finkbeiner; T.R. Slatyer; N. Weiner (2009). "A Theory of Dark Matter". Phys. Rev. D 79: 015014. arXiv:0810.0713. Bibcode:2009PhRvD..79a5014A. doi:10.1103/PhysRevD.79.015014.
- Scattering Amplitudes:
- N. Arkani-Hamed; F. Cachazo; C. Cheung & J. Kaplan (2010). "A Duality for the S Matrix". JHEP 1003 (3): 020. arXiv:0907.5418. Bibcode:2010JHEP...03..020A. doi:10.1007/JHEP03(2010)020.
- N. Arkani-Hamed; J. Bourjaily; F. Cachazo; S. Caron-Huot et al. (2011). "The All-Loop Integrand For Scattering Amplitudes in Planar N=4 SYM". JHEP 1101: 041. arXiv:1008.2958. Bibcode:2011JHEP...01..041A. doi:10.1007/JHEP01(2011)041.
- Profile, sns.ias.edu; accessed May 12, 2015.
- Cornellcast: Nima Arkani-Hamed: Quantum mechanics and space-time.
- Jafargholi "Jafar" Arkani-Hamed. Lateral Variations of Density in the Earth's Mantle.[dead link]
- "Professor Nima Arkani-Hamed Wins Prestigious Physics Prize". Public Broadcasting Service. Retrieved August 30, 2012.
- "Book of Members, 1780-2010: Chapter A" (PDF). American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved April 25, 2011.
- Theoretical Physicist Nima Arkani-Hamed Appointed to the Faculty of the Institute for Advanced Study, ias.edu; accessed May 12, 2015.
- Profile, breakthroughprize.org; accessed May 12, 2015.
- New annual US$3 million Fundamental Physics Prize recognizes transformative advances in the field, fundamentalphysicsprize.org; accessed August 1, 2012.
- Elizabeth Landau, "Colliding with nature's best-kept secrets", CNN, 9 May 2008 (accessed 10 May 008).
- Arkani-Hamed's papers in SPIRES database
- Arkani-Hamed's papers in the INSPIRE Database
- Stock Exchange Of Visions: Visions of Nima Arkani-Hamed (Video Interviews)
- "The Power of Principles: Physics Revealed - A conversation with Nima Arkani-Hamed", Ideas Roadshow, 2013