|Traded as||NYSE: NMBL|
|Industry||Information technology, data storage, solid state drives|
|Headquarters||San Jose, California, USA|
|Varun Mehta, co-founder
Umesh Maheshwari, co-founder and CTO
Suresh Vasudevan, CEO
|Products||CS200 Series, CS300 Series, CS400 Series, CS500 Series, and CS700 Series arrays|
Nimble Storage is a flash storage solutions company based in San Jose, California founded in early 2008. It produces hardware and software products for data storage, specifically data storage arrays that use the iSCSI and Fibre Channel protocols and includes data backup and data protection features.
The company received a total of $98 million in venture capital funding in 5 rounds from a total of 7 investors. A third round of $16 million was announced in December 2010 from existing investors Accel Partners, Lightspeed Venture Partners and Sequoia Capital. In September 2012, Nimble Storage secured $40.7 million from original backers as well as new investors Artis Capital Management and GGV Capital.
Varun Mehta was chief executive until March 2011, when he became vice president of engineering and Suresh Vasudevan became CEO. Umesh Maheshwari became chief technology officer.
In June 2014, Nimble Storage announced the CS700 Series Arrays and an All-Flash Shelf, as well as its Adaptive Flash technology.
In August 2014, Nimble Storage completed an overhaul of their CS-Series, and added the CS300 and CS500 to their line-up.
In November 2014, Nimble Storage released arrays supporting the Fibre Channel protocol.
In July 2015, Nimble Storage announced updates to the Adaptive Flash platform, including Nimble SmartSecure (software-based encryption), all-flash service levels, the addition of REST APIs, InfoSight-VMVision per-VM monitoring, and integrated data protection.
In August 2015, Nimble Storage announces the completion of Federal Information Processing Standard 140-2 Certification from the National Institute of Standards and Technology for the Adaptive Flash platform.
In December 2015, Nimble Storage announced an expanded SmartStack Integrated Infrastructure Solution portfolio with Cisco.
CS-Series Storage Arrays
The Nimble CS-Series iSCSI and Fibre Channel storage array has 4 product lines for the data center with different configurations available in each CS-Series. The product lines are CS200, CS300, CS500, and CS700 and combine both HDDs with SSDs in a hybrid fashion. Nimble Storage also provides an All-Flash Shelf to add to existing CS-Series arrays.
SmartStack Integrated Infrastructure Solutions
Nimble Storage also provides SmartStack integrated infrastructure solutions with Cisco Systems. Jointly developed by Cisco and Nimble Storage, these SmartStacks integrate compute, network, and storage resources in one solution. SmartStack solutions provide Cisco Validated Designs and reference architectures that address workloads including desktop virtualization (or VDI), server virtualization and cloud computing, business-critical applications, Oracle database and applications, and SAP HANA.
CASL is Nimble's patented Cache Accelerated Sequential Layout architecture. It is the foundation for the CS-Series storage arrays. CASL includes: flexible flash scaling, adaptive flash service levels, dynamic flash-based read caching, write-optimized data layout, inline compression, scale-to-fit flexibility, scale out, snapshots and integrated data protection, efficient replication, and zero-copy clones.
InfoSight consists of:
- The InfoSight Engine: a data collection and analysis engine composed of data analytics, system modeling capabilities, and predictive algorithms.
- The InfoSight Portal: a secure online portal which serves as a window into the InfoSight Engine.
- Proactive Wellness: proactive alerts for system health, performance, and protection gaps.
Nimble Storage's Adaptive Flash architecture is built upon existing CASL architecture and InfoSight. It is promoted as providing a single architectural approach, allowing companies to grow seamlessly by scaling compute, cache, or capacity independently and non-disruptively.
Recognition & Awards
In 2013, Nimble Storage was named #1 in TechTarget’s Modern Infrastructure Impact Awards for "Best Hybrid Flash Storage Product."
In August 2015, Nimble Storage won "Best of Show Innovation Award" and was voted by IT professionals as the "2015 Innovation Leader for the Hybrid HDD/SSD Array" category in an IT Brand Pulse brand leader survey.
In September 2015, Nimble Storage was honored as a "Rising Star" by Global Technology Distribution Council (GTDC).
In October 2015, Nimble Storage was named a Leader in the Gartner Magic Quadrant for General-Purpose Disk Arrays. Also in October 2015, Nimble Storage received the 2015 Computerworld Singapore Readers’ Choice Award for Hybrid and Private Cloud.
In November, 2015, Nimble Storage was ranked No. 6 on Deloitte's Technology Fast 500, a ranking of the 500 fastest growing technology, media, telecommunications, life sciences, and energy tech companies in North America.
- Mearian, Lucas (July 16, 2010). "Nimble's all-in-one storage combines primary and backup in one box". Computerworld. Retrieved January 2011.
- "Nimble Storage CrunchBase". CrunchBase. CrunchBase Inc. Retrieved January 2016.
- "Nimble Storage Closes $16 Million in Over-Subscribed Series C Round of Funding". Press release. December 8, 2010.
- Joseph F. Kovar (September 10, 2012). "Nimble Storage Closes $40.7M Funding Round, Plots IPO". Computer Reseller News. Retrieved November 3, 2013.
- Christina Farr (September 10, 2012). "Nimble storage pulls in $40M as it readies for global expansion and an IPO". Venture Beat. Retrieved November 3, 2013.
- "Registration Statement". Form S-1. US Securities and Exchange Commission. October 18, 2013. Retrieved November 3, 2013.
- Eric Blattberg (October 18, 2013). "Data storage company Nimble Storage files for $150M IPO". Venture Beat. Retrieved November 3, 2013.
- Armstrong, Adam (July 17, 2015). "Nimble Updates Adaptive Flash Platform With Several New Benefits". Storage Review. Storage Review, Inc. Retrieved January 2016.
- "Nimble Storage OpenSSL FIPS Object Module" (PDF). OpenSSL Software Foundation. June 2015. Retrieved January 2016.
- "Cisco SmartStack Solution". Cisco. December 2015. Retrieved January 2016.
- "Bay Area News Group Top Workplaces 2015". Bay Area News Group. San Jose Mercury News. June 2015. Retrieved January 2016.
- "Winner: Best hybrid flash storage product". TechTarget. 2013. Retrieved January 2016.
- "2015 Partner Program Guide: 5-Star Storage Vendors". CRN. The Channel Company. March 23, 2015. Retrieved January 2016.
- "Flash Memory Summit 2015 Best of Show Award Winners". Flash Memory Summit. August 2015. Retrieved January 2016.
- "2015 Brand Leader Survey Results". IT Brand Pulse. August 2015. Retrieved January 2016.
- "GTDC RECOGNIZES 2015 U.S. “RISING STAR” AWARD WINNERS" (PDF). Global Technology Distribution Council. September 2015. Retrieved January 2016.
- "Gartner Magic Quadrant for General-Purpose Disk Arrays". Gartner. October 2015. Retrieved January 2016.
- "Local IT companies celebrate at Computerworld Singapore Readers’ Choice Awards 2015 ceremony". Computerworld Singapore. October 8, 2015. Retrieved January 2016.
- "Deloitte's 2015 Technology Fast 500 Ranking" (PDF). Deloitte. November 2015. Retrieved January 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nimble Storage.|