|Traded as||NYSE: NMBL|
|Industry||Information technology, data storage, solid state drives|
|Headquarters||San Jose, California, United States|
|Varun Mehta, co-founder
Umesh Maheshwari, co-founder and CTO
Suresh Vasudevan, CEO
AF-Series Predictive All Flash arrays: AF1000, AF3000, AF5000, AF7000, AF9000CS-Series Adaptive Flash arrays: CS1000/H, CS3000, CS5000, CS7000
Number of employees
Nimble Storage is a predictive flash storage technology company based in San Jose, California founded in early 2008. It produces hardware and software products for data storage, specifically data storage arrays that use the iSCSI and Fibre Channel protocols and includes data backup and data protection features.
The company received a total of $98 million in venture capital funding in 5 rounds from a total of 7 investors. A third round of $16 million was announced in December 2010 from existing investors Accel Partners, Lightspeed Venture Partners and Sequoia Capital. In September 2012, Nimble Storage secured $40.7 million from original backers as well as new investors Artis Capital Management and GGV Capital.
Varun Mehta was chief executive until March 2011, when he became vice president of engineering and Suresh Vasudevan became CEO. Umesh Maheshwari became chief technology officer.
In June 2014, Nimble Storage announced the CS700 Series Arrays and an All-Flash Shelf, as well as its Adaptive Flash technology.
In August 2014, Nimble Storage completed an overhaul of their CS-Series, and added the CS300 and CS500 to their line-up.
In November 2014, Nimble Storage released arrays supporting the Fibre Channel protocol.
In July 2015, Nimble Storage announced updates to the Adaptive Flash platform, including Nimble SmartSecure (software-based encryption), all-flash service levels, the addition of REST APIs, InfoSight-VMVision per-VM monitoring, and integrated data protection.
In August 2015, Nimble Storage announces the completion of Federal Information Processing Standard 140-2 Certification from the National Institute of Standards and Technology for the Adaptive Flash platform.
On February 23, 2016, Nimble Storage unveiled the Predictive All Flash Array series, combining fast flash performance with InfoSight Predictive Analytics.
All Flash Arrays
Nimble Storage's AF-Series arrays utilize flash performance as well as InfoSight Predictive Analytics. The AF-Series has product lines for data centers with different configurations based on the desired workload. The product lines are AF1000, AF3000, AF5000, AF7000, and AF9000.
Adaptive Flash Arrays
The Nimble CS-Series iSCSI and Fibre Channel storage array has 4 product lines for data centers available in each CS-Series. The product lines are CS200, CS300, CS500, and CS700 and combine both HDDs with SSDs in a hybrid fashion. In August, 2016, Nimble Storage updated their CS-Series arrays to the following: CS1000/H, CS3000, CS5000, and CS7000. Nimble Storage also provides an All-Flash Shelf to add to CS-Series arrays.
SmartStack reference architectures
Nimble Storage provides SmartStack integrated infrastructure technology for Cisco Systems. Jointly developed by Cisco and Nimble Storage, these SmartStack integrates compute, network, and storage resources. SmartStack provides Cisco Validated Designs and reference architectures that address the following workloads: desktop virtualization (or VDI), server virtualization and cloud computing, business-critical applications, Oracle database and applications, and SAP HANA.
NimbleOS is Nimble's operating system heavily dependent on a patented file-system architecture, cache accelerated sequential layout (CASL). NimbleOS includes: flexible flash scaling, adaptive flash service levels, dynamic flash-based read caching, write-optimized data layout, inline compression, scale-to-fit flexibility, scale out, snapshots and integrated data protection, efficient replication, deduplication, and zero-copy clones.
InfoSight Predictive Analytics
InfoSight consists of:
- The InfoSight Engine: a data collection and analysis engine composed of data analytics, system modeling capabilities, and predictive algorithms.
- The InfoSight Portal: a secure online portal which serves as a window into the InfoSight Engine.
- Proactive Wellness: proactive alerts for system health, performance, and protection gaps.
Unified Flash Fabric
Nimble Storage's Unified Flash Fabric unifies Nimble's All Flash and Adaptive Flash arrays into a single consolidation architecture with common data services. This architecture is built upon existing CASL architecture and InfoSight.
- Mearian, Lucas (July 16, 2010). "Nimble's all-in-one storage combines primary and backup in one box". Computerworld. Retrieved January 2011. Check date values in:
- "Nimble Storage CrunchBase". CrunchBase. CrunchBase Inc. Retrieved January 2016. Check date values in:
- "Nimble Storage Closes $16 Million in Over-Subscribed Series C Round of Funding". Press release. December 8, 2010.
- Joseph F. Kovar (September 10, 2012). "Nimble Storage Closes $40.7M Funding Round, Plots IPO". Computer Reseller News. Retrieved November 3, 2013.
- Christina Farr (September 10, 2012). "Nimble storage pulls in $40M as it readies for global expansion and an IPO". Venture Beat. Retrieved November 3, 2013.
- "Registration Statement". Form S-1. US Securities and Exchange Commission. October 18, 2013. Retrieved November 3, 2013.
- Eric Blattberg (October 18, 2013). "Data storage company Nimble Storage files for $150M IPO". Venture Beat. Retrieved November 3, 2013.
- Withers, Stephen (12 June 2014). "Nimble goes big with CS700 adaptive flash array". ITWire. Retrieved March 10, 2016.
- Armstrong, Adam (July 17, 2015). "Nimble Updates Adaptive Flash Platform With Several New Benefits". Storage Review. Storage Review, Inc. Retrieved January 2016. Check date values in:
- "Nimble Storage OpenSSL FIPS Object Module" (PDF). OpenSSL Software Foundation. June 2015. Retrieved January 2016. Check date values in:
- "Deloitte's 2015 Technology Fast 500 Ranking" (PDF). Deloitte. November 2015. Retrieved August 17, 2016.
- "Cisco SmartStack Solution". Cisco. December 2015. Retrieved August 17, 2016.
- "Nimble Storage Leapfrogs Competition Unveils Predictive All Flash Arrays". Yahoo Finance. Retrieved 2016-02-23.
- Deutscher, Maria (August 10, 2016). "Nimble Storage unveils new $40K entry-level flash array". SiliconANGLE. SiliconANGLE Media. Retrieved August 10, 2016.
- Culp, Natassia (August 10, 2016). "Nimble Storage Offers Aggressive Entry Point to All-Flash With New Predictive Flash Array". MarketWired. Nasdaq, Inc. Retrieved August 10, 2016.
- "Lenovo, Nimble Storage Partner to Transform the Data Center". www.lenovo.com. Lenovo. October 17, 2016. Retrieved November 29, 2016.
- Kovar, Joseph F. "Nimble Storage Takes On EMC, Pure Storage With First All-Flash Storage Array". CRN. Retrieved 2016-03-10.
- Shanks, Eric. "CASL with Nimble Storage". TheITHollow. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- Kolomyeytsev, Anton. "HERE'S WHAT LSFS (WAFL, CASL) IS ABOUT: WHERE LOG-STRUCTURING CONCEPT CAME FROM, WHAT IT'S GOOD FOR AND WHY". MSMVPBlogs. Retrieved 2015-10-28.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nimble Storage.|