Nina Yang Bongiovi
Nina Yang Bongiovi is an Asian American film producer. Nina has been working in the film industry for almost twenty years. in 2009 she partnered with actor Forest Whitaker to create Significant Productions; together, they have produced Fruitvale Station (2013), Dope (2015), and "Roxanne Roxanne" (2017), "Sorry to Bother You" (2018), among other critically acclaimed films.
Bongiovi received her graduate degree in Entertainment Management at the University of Southern California. She spent the first decade of her career working in both the United States and Hong Kong film industries. During this time, she was involved in productions including China Strike Force (2000, Hong Kong), Mail Order Wife (2004, U.S.), Confessions of an Action Star (2005, U.S.), and The Children of Huang Shi (2008, China). In 2009, she met actor Forest Whitaker and they partnered to form Significant Productions, a production company that produces films, documentaries, television series and digital content.
Bongiovi and Whitaker produced the 2013 American film Fruitvale Station, written and directed by Ryan Coogler and based on the story of the shooting of Oscar Grant in 2009. Bongiovi became involved with the project after film professor at USC, Jed Dannenbaum, contacted her to introduce her to Coogler, who was one of Dannenbaum's current students. Fruitvale Station met with critical acclaim, winning the 2013 Sundance Film Festival Grand Jury Prize and Audience Award as well as the 2013 Cannes Film Festival L'Avenir Award. For their work on the film, Bongiovi and Whitaker won the Producers Guild of America Stanley Kramer Award, which is given for films that highlight social issues.
In 2014, Bongiovi and Whitaker produced Repentance, also starring Whitaker, followed by the 2015 films Dope and Songs My Brothers Taught Me. Both Dope and Songs My Brothers Taught Me were selected to play at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival and the 2015 Cannes Film Festival.
- "Dope". USC School of Cinematic Arts. Retrieved September 6, 2015.
- Gupta, Shipra Harbola (June 18, 2015). "5 Secrets of Success, From the Badass Women Who Produced 'Selma,' 'Dope,' 'The Hunger Games' and 'The Walking Dead'". Indiewire. Retrieved September 6, 2015.
- Bloomenthal, Andrew (August 3, 2013). "Anatomy of a Production Deal". Creative Screenwriting. Retrieved September 6, 2015.
- Cohen, Sandy (July 10, 2013). "From USC to award-winning filmmaker, Ryan Coogler brings heart, talent to 'Fruitvale Station'". Star Tribune. Retrieved September 6, 2015.
- McNary, Dave (December 13, 2013). "'Fruitvale Station' Receiving Stanley Kramer Award from PGA". Variety. Retrieved September 6, 2015.
- Busch, Anita (June 15, 2017). "Tessa Thompson, Lakeith Stanfield, Steven Yeun To Star In 'Sorry To Bother You'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 27, 2017.