Ninaithale Inikkum (1979 film)
|Directed by||K. Balachander|
|Produced by||R. Venkataraman|
|Screenplay by||K. Balachander|
|Story by||Sujatha Rangarajan|
|Music by||M. S. Viswanathan|
|Cinematography||B. S. Lokanath|
|Edited by||N. R. Kittu|
|Distributed by||Premalaya Productions|
Ninaithale Inikkum (English: Sweet Memories) is a 1979 Indian Tamil-language comedy-drama film directed by K. Balachander starring Kamal Hassan, Rajinikanth, Jayaprada, Geetha and Nakul. The story was written by Sujatha Rangarajan. The film was also simultaneously shot in Telugu as Andamaina Anubhavam. A large part of the film was shot in Singapore.
The film follows lead chandru (Kamal Hassan) who plays a singer and his band on a tour to Singapore. Over there Chandru meets his love interest Sona (Jayaprada), only to find that she is terminally ill. The film ends on a tragic note with the lady's demise.
- Kamal Hassan as Chandru
- Rajinikanth as Deepak
- Jayaprada as Sona
- Geetha as the receptionist
- S. K. Misro as Kamalakar Rao
- Rajappa as Vichu
- Jayasudha as Kamini (Guest appearance)
- Sarath Babu (Guest appearance)
- Narayana Rao (Guest appearance)
- S. Ve. Shekher (Guest appearance)
Taking a step aside from the usual serious dramas that Balachander is known to direct, this film was an attempt at a light comedy with its music serving as the main attraction. Many of K. Balachander's students like Jayasudha, Sarath Babu, Geetha and Narayana Rao appear in cameo for their mentor. This was the debut film for actor S. V. Shekhar. Jayasudha's sister Subhashini also appears. The band in the movie and the music were inspired by the Beatles.
The scene where Rajinikanth is challenged to flip his cigarette 10 times or lose a finger is based on Roald Dahl's Man from the South.
The soundtrack was composed by M. S. Viswanathan while the lyrics were written by Kannadasan. The song "Engeyum Eppothum" was one of the famous songs from the film. The song was remixed by Yogi B in Pollathavan (2007). The song "Sambo Siva Sambo" was remixed by Vijay Antony as "Avala Nambithan" for Salim (2014).
- Namma Ooru Sinkari - S. P. Balasubramaniam
- Sayonara Vesham Kalainthathu - S. P. Balasubramaniam
- Nizhal Kandavan - S. P. Balasubramaniam
- Ninaiththaale Inikkum - S. P. Balasubramaniam, S. Janaki
- Vaaniley medai amaithu - S. P. Balasubramaniam
- Aananda Thaandavamo - L. R. Eswari
- Barathi Kannamma - S. P. Balasubramaniam, Vani Jayaram
- Inimai Nirainda Ulagam - S. P. Balasubramaniam, L. R. Eswari
- Kaaththirunthen - S. P. Balasubramaniam
- Sambo Sivasambo - M. S. Viswanathan
- Thattiketka Aalillai - S. P. Balasubramaniam
- Yaathum Oore - S. P. Balasubramaniam, P. Susheela
- Engeyum Eppothum - S. P. Balasubramaniam
Films like Bharathi Kannamma (1997), Engeyum Eppodhum (2011) were named after the film's songs. In 2009, another film called Ninaithale Inikkum, starring Prithviraj Sukumaran, Sakthi Vasu and Priyamani was released. G. N. R. Kumaravelan who directed the film, stated that the title was "right for my film on students and the college scenario".
Abaswaram Ramji conducted a stage show called Ninaithale Inikkum in 2006. A stage play called "Sambo Siva sambo" named after the film's song was conducted by Theatre of Maham. M. S. Viswanathan composed the background music for the play.
- Ninaithale Inikkum, IMDb, retrieved 2008-11-18
- "Ninaithale Inikkum movie review: Wallpaper, Story, Trailer at Times of India" (in German). Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- "Tribute: Sujatha will live with us - Rediff.com India News". Rediff.com. 2008-02-29. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- IANS (2013-09-13). "In a new version". The Hindu. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- "Kamal's Ninaithale Inikkum to release again - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Times News Network. 2013-09-12. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- "Rajinikanth, Kamal Haasan's Cult Classic '16 Vayathinile' to Re-Release in October - International Business Times". Ibtimes.co.in. 2013-10-05. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- "Revisiting '90s Rajini in 2017". The Hindu. 7 March 2017. Retrieved 7 March 2017.