Ninite web service
|Original author(s)||Patrick Swieskowski and Sascha Kuzins|
|Developer(s)||Secure By Design Inc.|
|Type||Package manager, software repository|
Ninite (codenamed Volery during private beta stage) is a package management system offering that lets users automatically install popular applications for their Windows operating system. It allows users to make a selection from a list of applications and bundles the selection into a single installer package. It is free for personal use. A paid version, Ninite Pro, is available for professional use. Alternatively, a cheaper albeit less robust version of Ninite Pro known as Ninite Updater is available for users who want the ability of one-click updates without the other features offered by Ninite Pro.
Ninite works on Windows XP and later. It presents the user with a list of programs and generates a custom installer executable based on the user's selection. When run, the installer downloads and installs the selected programs. Ninite's installer always downloads the latest version of the program. This is accomplished by downloading a regularly-updated list of applications and their download URLs from the Ninite servers each time the program is run. Benefits of using Ninite rather than the individual applications' installers themselves include: toolbar/adware free installations, the ability to update multiple applications at once, automatic selection of architecture (64-bit vs 32-bit), language selection based on operating system's language, and error reporting, should one of the installations fail.
Austrian magazine Der Standard wrote, Ninite gets a good basic package of software on the computer. Computerwoche listed Ninite as number 11 of 28 reviewed freeware tools. PC Magazine listet it as a Batch-Installer for software installation at one.
On the Ninite webpage, the user chooses software of own preference by activating checkboxes and continues with downloading the executable installer, which is preconfigured to the users custom selection. By executing the installer, the previously chosen software is unattended (without any requested user interaction) installed on the computer.
(as of May 2019)
- Web Browsers
- File Sharing
- Online Storage
- Developer Tools
- "Ninite Makes Installing Software Incredibly Simple". How-To Geek. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- "Ninite Blog". Ninite Blog. Secure By Design Inc. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- Broida, Rick (2009-11-03). "Free Tools for Fine-Tuning Your Windows 7 Setup". PCWorld. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- "Ninite Updater - The Easiest Automatic Update Checker". Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once. Secure By Design Inc. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- "Ninite Bulk-Installs Great Free Windows Apps". Lifehacker.com. 2009-10-23. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- "How Ninite Works | Ninite Help". Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once. Secure By Design Inc. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- "Diese Programme sollte man auf dem neuen Gaming-Rechner installieren - derStandard.de". DER STANDARD. Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- "Kostenlose Win-10-Pflicht-Apps: Windows 10 - Die besten Freeware-Tools". www.computerwoche.de. Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- Bambusch, Fabian. "Ninite: So installieren Sie mehrere Windows-Programme gleichzeitig - PC Magazin". pc-magazin. Retrieved 22 May 2019.