|Born||Siwan, Bihar, India|
|Education||Ness Wadia College of Commerce, Pune|
|Known for||Being the first person from Bihar to scale Mount Everest|
|Spouse(s)||Sqn. Ldr. Prakash Jha|
Squadron leader Nirupama Pandey is an Indian mountaineer. She is the first person from Bihar to have scaled Mount Everest on May 25, 2011 at 1015 hrs (IST). Nirupama was part of the first-ever all-woman IAF team comprising flight lieutenant Nivedita Choudhary and flight lieutenant Rajika Sharma.
Nirupama Pandey was born in the village of Jamo Jalalpur in Siwan district, the daughter of Shri Rajendra Pandey and Srimati Uma Pandey. She did her schooling from Kendriya Vidyalaya in Pune and graduation and MBA from Ness Wadia College of Commerce, Pune. In college, she was part of the National Cadet Corps and often went trekking. She started her mountaineering career in 2007 by undergoing rigorous training at Nehru Institute of Mountaineering located at Uttarkashi. In 2003, she joined the Indian Air Force as a flying officer.
Sqn Ldr Nirupama Pandey reached the summit of Mt. Everest on May 25, 2011 at 1015 hrs (IST), forming one of the first three women IAF officers, to create history. The team of eleven women officers was accompanied by one medical officer and eight male air warriors who were qualified mountaineers.
In August, 2011 Bihar CM Sri Nitish Kumar felicitated Squadron leader Nirupama Pandey in Patna for unfurling tricolour at the Mount Everest. She was awarded with Ati Vishisth Khel Samman by the Govt of Bihar.
- "Nirupama first Bihari to scale Mount Everest - Times of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2011-06-28. Retrieved 2011-08-29.
- "This time, scaling a different height - Deccan Herald". 2011-07-02. Retrieved 2017-05-29.
- Keshav, Aarohi (2011-07-01). "Mt Everest at her feet, achiever brings laurels to state". Calcutta, India: Telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 2011-08-29.
- "Nirupama Pandey becomes first Bihari to climb Mount everest | Bihar News". News.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 2011-08-29.
- "IAF Women Expedition Team Scales Everest - Press Information Bureau, Govt. of India". 2011-05-25. Retrieved 2017-05-29.