The Nishan-e-Pakistan (Urdu: نشان پاکستان, English: Order of Pakistan) is the highest of civil awards and decorations given by the Government of Pakistan for the highest degree of service to the country and nation of Pakistan. The award was established on 19 March 1957.
The Nishan-e-Pakistan, unlike other honours, is a highly restricted and most prestigious award and is only conferred for the merit and distinguished services to the country, international community, and foreign relations. This award, like other civilian awards, is announced on 14 August each year and its investiture takes place on following 23 March. Recipients are entitled to the post-nominal NPk.
Foreign recipients of Nishan-e-Pakistan
Recipients of the Hilal-e-Pakistan
Hilal-e-Pakistan (Crescent of Pakistan), stands second in hierarchy of civilian awards after the Nishan-E-Pakistan.
|1957||Amin Ahmed||Chief Justice of Dhaka High Court||Pakistan|
|1958||Abdul Wahid Adamjee||Businessman, Industrialist||Pakistan|
|1958||Emperor Haile Selassie||Emperor of Ethiopia||Ethiopia|
|1962||Asghar Khan||Commander in Chief of Pakistan Air Force||Pakistan|
|1964||Zulfikar Ali Bhutto||Foreign Minister of Pakistan||Pakistan|
|1989||Ruth Pfau||Nun and Leprosy Doctor||Germany|
|1995||Sir Gerald Kaufman||British Labour Party politician and Member of Parliament||United Kingdom|
|2005||Nahyan bin Mubarak Al Nahyan||Minister of Culture, UAE||United Arab Emirates|
|2008||Joe Biden||Vice President of the United States||United States|
|2011||Ronald Noble||Secretary-General of Interpol||United States|
|2012||Yang Jiechi||Foreign Minister of the People's Republic of China||China|
|2012||Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn||Princess of Thailand||Thailand|
Recipients of the Sitara-e-Pakistan
Sitara-e-Pakistan (Star of Pakistan), stands third in hierarchy of civilian awards after the Nishan-e-Pakistan and the Hilal-e-Pakistan.
|1958||Aslam Khattak||Politician/chairman, Human Rights Commission of Pakistan||Pakistan|
|1959||Abdus Salam||Scientist and Science Advisor to the Government of Pakistan||Pakistan|
|1965||Air Commodore Władysław Turowicz||military scientist and engineer||Pakistan|
|1965||Vice-Admiral Syed Mohammad Ahsan||Naval intelligence officer and Chief of Naval Staff||Pakistan|
|1966||A G N Kazi||Chairman Water and Power Development Authority||Pakistan|
|1970||Jamil Ansari||Editor-in-Chief Dawn 1965-1972||Pakistan|
|1971||Rear Admiral Leslie Mungavin||Naval Officer||Pakistan|
|1972||Chief Justice Bashiruddin Ahmed Khan||Judge||Pakistan|
|Akhtar Hameed Khan||Social scientist, he pioneered microcredit, microfinance, and rural development initiatives||Pakistan|
|Syed Hashim Raza||Former Governor of East Pakistan, first administrator of Karachi (1948-1951)||Pakistan|
|1998||Himalaya SJB Rana||First governor of Nepal, Former UN delegate to Pakistan - for his role in the development of Pakistan-Nepal friendship||Nepal|
|2002||Mumtaz Tarar||Chairman Human Rights commission||Pakistan|
|Habibullah Khan Khattak||for action in Burma during World War II||Pakistan|
|Bronte Clucas Quayle, CB, OBE, QC,||for his services in drafting the Constitution of Pakistan||Australia|
|1991||James M. Shera, MBE||Politician, Head of the International Curriculum Support Services, Education Department||United Kingdom|
|2006||Grace Warren||surgeon, leprosy expert||Australia|
|2009||Greg Mortenson||humanitarian, Central Asia Institute - for promoting girls' literacy and education, and establishing schools in Pakistan||United States|
|2008||Khaled Almaeena||journalist, Saudi Gazette - Journalism||Saudi Arabia|
|2009||An Qiguang||Former Counsel General of China in Karachi for his notable services in strengthening the relations between Pakistan and China||China|
|2012||Rowan Douglas Williams||Anglican bishop, Archbishop of Canterbury, public services to Pakistan||United Kingdom|
|2014||General C. S. Weerasooriya||Former Sri Lankan High Commissioner to Pakistan||Sri Lanka|
Recipients of the Tamgha-e-Pakistan
Tamgha-e-Pakistan (Medal of Pakistan), stands fourth in hierarchy of civilian awards after the Nishan-e-Pakistan, Hilal-e-Pakistan, Sitara-e-Pakistan.
|1965||Rashid Ahmed||Naval officer||Pakistan|
|1967||Hermanegild Marcos Antonio Drago||Community service||Pakistan|
|1968||Aslam Azhar||Television Broadcasting||Pakistan|
|1971||Ahmed Hussain A Kazi||Public Service||Pakistan|
|1987||Neerja Harish Bhanot||Public Service||India|
|2012||Emmanuel Nicholas||Community (Education)||Sri Lanka|
|2012||Li Xiaolin||Community (Investment)||China|
|2018||Muhammad Ayhan Murtaza||community (Education)||Pakistan|
- Richard Nixon, Remarks on Accepting the Nishan-e-Pakistan, Published 1 Aug 1969, Retrieved 28 May 2016
- "In recognition of his sense of commitment in promoting social and economic welfare activities of Pakistan", ismaili.net website, Published 23 March 1983, Retrieved 28 May 2016
- When India and Pakistan almost made peace, Morarji Desai and Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq meeting in Kenya, Rediff.com newspaper website, Published 11 July 2001, Retrieved 28 May 2016
- Foreign Honorary Awards of Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah
- List of Nelson Mandela awards and honours
- "Mandela in Pakistan". The Independent UK newspaper. 1992-10-03. Retrieved 28 May 2016.
- http://www.ssig.kpkk.gov.my/ssig/news/fullnews.php?news_id=77780&news_cat=sn[permanent dead link]
- "The Al-Busaid Dynasty: Genealogy". Royalark.net. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- King Abdullah ends Asian tour with state visit to Pakistan Archived 2008-06-18 at the Wayback Machine.
- Subramanian, Nirupama (Nov 25, 2006). "Hu Jintao awarded Nishan-e-Pakistan". The Hindu (newspaper). Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- Erdogan: Pakistan, Turkey can together bring peace to region Archived 2012-03-04 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Erdogan conferred Nishan-e-Pakistan". The Nation. APP. October 27, 2009. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "Nawaz thanks Gul for supporting Pakistan in hard times". The News International. April 2, 2010. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- "Turkish President arrives on four-day visit". Dunya News. March 30, 2010. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- "Chinese PM awarded Nishan-e-Pakistan on arrival in Islamabad". Express Tribune. May 22, 2013. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "Nishan-e-Pakistan award conferred on Xi Jinping". The Hindu. PTI. Apr 21, 2015. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "Pakistan is honouring late Cuban leader Fidel Castro with Nishan-e-Pakistan today – here's why". Retrieved 6 April 2018.
- http://www.phclondon.org/infodiv/pressreleases/20170227_hc_condoles_the_death_of_sir_gerald_kaufman_mp.aspx, Gerald Kaufman's Hilal-i-Pakistan Award listed on Pakistan High Commissioner office website, Retrieved 6 March 2017
-  Gerald Kaufman's Hilal-i-Pakistan Award listed on The News International (newspaper) website, Published 4 March 2017, Retrieved 6 March 2017
- "Pakistan honours INTERPOL". Interpol. March 24, 2011. Archived from the original on 2016-08-27. Retrieved August 26, 2016.
- Civil Awards for 2012 announced The Express Tribune (newspaper), Published 14 Aug 2012, Retrieved 28 May 2016
- Mehriban Aliyeva: Hilal-e-Pakistan recipient serving humanity
- Khan, Humaira M.; Sadriwala, Maryam Murtaza (2004). Dawn: The History. Department of Mass Communication, University of Karachi.
- Hashim Raza passes away Dawn (newspaper), Published 1 October 2003, Retrieved 14 November 2017
- "Sitara-i-Imtiaz conferred on Saudi journalist". AsiaMedia. 2009-01-22. Archived from the original on 2014-03-07. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- "President confers Sitara i Pakistan on former Chinese envoy". Associated Press Of Pakistan. Archived from the original on 2014-03-07. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- LTD, Lankacom PVT. "The Island". Retrieved 18 July 2016.
-  Aslam Azhar's 'Tamgha-e-Pakistan' Award info on Dawn newspaper, Published 15 Jan 2011, Retrieved 6 June 2016