Location of Nishiwaki in Hyōgo Prefecture
|• Mayor||Juichi Kishi (since November 2005)|
|• Total||132.47 km2 (51.15 sq mi)|
(May 1, 2017)
|• Density||310/km2 (810/sq mi)|
|• Tree||Cherry blossom|
|• Flower||Phlox subulata|
|Time zone||UTC+9 (JST)|
|City hall address||Gonose 605, Nishiwaki City, Hyōgo Prefecture (兵庫県西脇市郷瀬町605)|
The city calls itself "The Navel of Japan (Nihon no Heso)." Located at the crossing of the 135° East meridian and the 35° North parallel, the city's Nihon no Heso Park marks the center of the nation. JR West operates Nihon Heso Station on the Kakogawa Line (in addition to other stations in Nishiwaki).
Nisshi (にっしー） was made to promote the city in 2010, and she wears a blue clothes made of "Banshu-Ori", which is a kind of textile and famous in Nisiwaki city.
Sakura (さくら) is Nisshi's sister and wears pink clothes.
Heso-no-Kanchan (へそのかんちゃん) was made to promote a historical drama, Gunshi-Kanbe (軍師官兵衛), which had been broadcast in 2014. "Kanchan" was designed after the model of Kanbe's appearance in his childhood.
- JR West - Kakogawa Line
Nishiwaki has been the sister city of Renton, Washington, U.S.A since 1969. Since then there have been mutual exchanges between the cities, most notably the annual middle school exchange program which began in 1989. (The US delegation was in Japan October 3-13, 1989.) The initial delegation from the US included (future) actress Casey Strand.
- "Official website of Nishiwaki City" (in Japanese). Japan: Nishiwaki City. Retrieved 13 May 2017.
- "Nisshi'ｓ Profile" (PDF). Nishiwaki city. Retrieved 1 June 2017.
- "西脇TMOオリジナルゆるキャラ「さくら」が西脇市の住民になりました！". Nishiwaki city. Retrieved 1 June 2017.
- "イメージキャラクター「へそのかんちゃん」とロゴマークについて". Nishiwaki city. Retrieved 1 June 2017.
- Media related to Nishiwaki, Hyōgo at Wikimedia Commons
- Nishiwaki City official website (in Japanese)
|This Hyōgo Prefecture location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|