Nitro cold brew coffee
Nitro cold brew coffee, commonly referred to as "NCB," is cold brew coffee charged with nitrogen to give it a rich, creamy head, similar to nitro draft beer like Guinness. Though many lighter beers are infused with carbon dioxide, darker stouts are occasionally infused with nitrogen, extracting sweet flavors and a smooth finish from the beer. This is a direct effect of nitrogen bubbles being smaller in size than those of carbon dioxide, making it harder for the nitrogen in either beer or coffee to dissolve in the water and resulting in a beverage with a thicker "mouthfeel."
The process is said by Men's Journal to have originated in 2015 at craft coffee houses Cuvee Coffee in Austin, Texas and Stumptown in Portland, Oregon, but Esquire magazine gives credit to The Queens Kickshaw in New York c. 2011. Stumptown and Cuvee offered canned beverage with a nitrogen disc by 2015. Starbucks introduced the beverage at 500 stores in the summer of 2016, preceded in the Los Angeles market by The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf. A Korean company, Bruworks, has exclusively made nitro coffee since the founders tried the beverage at the Brewers Association Craft [beer] Brewers' Conference in Colorado in 2014. Nitro cold brew is available from wholesalers in some markets in kegs. A New York company says it can fill 1,500 kegs a day.
- "A new trend in serving cold brew coffee uses science to make it more delicious". Business Insider. Retrieved 2017-07-14.
- Shane Barnes, "Nitro Cold Brew is the Best Thing to Happen to Coffee Since Ice", Men's Journal
- Jill Krasny (June 9, 2015), "This Is the Best Iced Coffee You Will Drink All Summer – Nitro iced coffee comes straight from the tap, like a Guinness", Esquire
- Ali Rosen, Sky McCarthy (September 22, 2015), Nitro coffee is the next big thing to happen to your morning brew, Fox News
- Elyssa Goldberg (April 28, 2015), "Nitro, Our New Favorite Iced Coffee, Is Served on Tap and Tastes Like Beer", Bon Appetit
- Tracy Saelinger (June 27, 2016), "Starbucks' nitro coffee: Here's what you need to know before you order", Today
- Starbucks introduces nitro cold brew at 500 locations this summer, Fox News, May 31, 2016
- Josh Scherer (July 27, 2016), "Coffee Bean Strikes Critical Blow Against Starbucks! Victory Imminent! It's the first major chain to bring nitro cold brew to L.A.", Los Angeles
- Rob Shelley (February 8, 2016), "Nitro Powered Craft Beer and Coffee", Groove, Korea
- About us (in Korean), Bruworks
- "Rise Brewing Wins New Beverage Showdown 13 - BevNET.com". BevNET.com. Retrieved 2017-07-20.