Garrity and Holt, 2001
Nitrospirae is a phylum of bacteria. It contains only one class, Nitrospira, which itself contains one order (Nitrospirales) and one family (Nitrospiraceae). It includes multiple genera, such as Nitrospira, the largest. The first member of this phylum, Nitrospira marina, was discovered in 1985. The second member of this phylum, Thermodesulfovibrio yellowstonii, was discovered in 1994. The third member, Nitrospira moscoviensis, was discovered in 1995.
The currently accepted taxonomy is based on the List of Prokaryotic names with Standing in Nomenclature (LSPN) and the phylogeny is based on 16S rRNA-based LTP release 111 by The All-Species Living Tree Project.
♠ Strain found at the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) but not listed in the List of Prokaryotic names with Standing in Nomenclature (LPSN)
- Stanley W. Watson, Eberhard Bock, Frederica W. Valois, John B. Waterbury and Ursula Schlosser (1994). "Nitrospira marina gen. nov. sp. nov.: a chemolithotrophic nitrite-oxidizing bacterium.". Arch Microbiol. 144 (1): 62–9. PMID 11541228.
- Henry EA, Devereux R, Maki JS, Gilmour CC, Woese CR, Mandelco L, Schauder R, Remsen CC, Mitchell R (1986). "Characterization of a new thermophilic sulfate-reducing bacterium Thermodesulfovibrio yellowstonii, gen. nov. and sp. nov.: its phylogenetic relationship to Thermodesulfobacterium commune and their origins deep within the bacterial domain.". Arch Microbiol. 161 (1): 1–7. doi:10.1007/BF00454947.
- Ehrich S, Behrens D, Lebedeva E, Ludwig W, Bock E (1995). "A new obligately chemolithoautotrophic, nitrite-oxidizing bacterium, Nitrospira moscoviensis sp. nov. and its phylogenetic relationship.". Arch Microbiol. 164 (1): 16–23. doi:10.1007/BF02568729. PMID 7646315.
- See the NCBI webpage on Nitrospirae Data extracted from the "NCBI Taxonomy Browser". National Center for Biotechnology Information. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- See the List of Prokaryotic names with Standing in Nomenclature. Data extracted from the "Nitrospirae". Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- See the All-Species Living Tree Project . Data extracted from the "16S rRNA-based LTP release 111 (full tree)" (PDF). Silva Comprehensive Ribosomal RNA Database. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- Lefevre, Christopher T.; Frankel, Richard B.; Abreu, Fernanda; Lins, Ulysses; Bazylinski, Dennis A. (26 Oct 2010). "Culture-independent characterization of a novel, uncultivated magnetotactic member of the Nitrospirae phylum". Environmental Microbiology. 13 (2): 538–549. doi:10.1111/j.1462-2920.2010.02361.x.
|This bacteria-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|