Nittedal within Akershus
|• Mayor (2011)||Hilde Thorkildsen (Ap)|
|• Total||186 km2 (72 sq mi)|
|• Land||179 km2 (69 sq mi)|
|Area rank||338 in Norway|
|Population (2006 Q2)|
|• Rank||47 in Norway|
|• Density||108/km2 (280/sq mi)|
|• Change (10 years)||18.0 %|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||NO-0233|
|Official language form||Bokmål|
The parish of Nitedal was established as a municipality on 1 January 1838 (see formannskapsdistrikt).
The name (Old Norse: Nitjudalr) is an old district name. The first element is the genitive case of the river name Nitja (now Nitelva) and the last element is dalr which means "valley" or "dale". The meaning of the river name is unknown. Prior to 1918, the name was written "Nittedalen".
The coat-of-arms is from modern times. They were granted on 23 January 1987. The arms show the two silver lines running in a bend sinister direction on a green background. They represent the main transportation lines that run through the municipality from Oslo to other parts of the country: the main highway and the railroad, they also can represent skiing tracks, an old winter transportation method. At the same time the two lines symbolize matches, as one of Norway's oldest match factories was founded in Nittedal. The lines also symbolize tree logs, as forestry is of great importance for the local economy.
Nittedal lies directly northeast of Oslo and serves as a suburb to the capital. It is located on both sides of the Nitelva river. The southernmost population centre is Hagan. Further north lie the centres of Slattum, Rotnes, Åneby, Grønvoll, Varingskollen, and Hakadal.
This list includes people who have resided in, or are associated with, Nittedal:
- Jarle Bernhoft, musician
- Berit Berthelsen, pentathlete and long jumper
- John Anders Bjørkøy, footballer
- Julie Bonnevie-Svendsen, biathlete
- Lena Boysen, dog musher
- Arnar Førsund, footballer
- Odd Martinsen, cross-country skier, father of Bente Skari
- Kristian Flittie Onstad, footballer
- Terje Pedersen, javelin thrower
- Marianne Pettersen, footballer
- Borghild Rud, illustrator
- Tommy Rustad, rally driver
- Bente Skari, cross-country skier
- Inge Solli, mayor
- Hanne Staff, orienteer
- Harald Sohlberg, painter
- Svend Rasmussen Svendsen, Norwegian American impressionist artist
- Ib Thomsen, politician
- Terje Thorslund, javelin thrower
- Gudmund Vindland, writer
- Kjell Magne Yri, linguist
- Ulrik Badertscher, snowboarder
- Trym Aass, lawyer
- "Navn på steder og personer: Innbyggjarnamn" (in Norwegian). Språkrådet. Retrieved 2015-12-01.
- Norske Kommunevåpen (1990). "Nye kommunevåbener i Norden". Retrieved 2008-12-20.
- "Nittedals kommunevåpen" (in Norwegian). Nittedal kommune. Retrieved 2008-12-20.
- "Immigrants and Norwegian-born to immigrant parents, by immigration category, country background and percentages of the population". ssb.no. Retrieved 29 June 2015.
- "Lenker" (in Norwegian). Nittedal kommune. Retrieved 2008-12-20.