Location of Nivala in Finland
|• Town manager||Kari Valtanen|
|• Total||536.88 km2 (207.29 sq mi)|
|• Land||527.95 km2 (203.84 sq mi)|
|• Water||8.92 km2 (3.44 sq mi)|
|Area rank||165th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||91st largest in Finland|
|• Density||20.32/km2 (52.6/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.2% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||23%|
|• 15 to 64||60.4%|
|• 65 or older||16.6%|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||20.5%|
Nivala is a town and municipality of Finland. It is located in the Northern Ostrobothnia region. The town has a population of 10,729 (31 January 2019) and covers an area of 536.88 square kilometres (207.29 sq mi) of which 8.92 km2 (3.44 sq mi) is water. The population density is 20.32 inhabitants per square kilometre (52.6/sq mi). Neighbouring municipalities are Haapajärvi, Haapavesi, Sievi, and Ylivieska. The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
The Kalajoki river flows through the municipality. The biggest lake in the region is Pidisjärvi and the two other lakes are Suojärvi and Erkkisjärvi.
- Kyösti Kallio, the fourth President of Finland (1937–1940), was a resident of Nivala.
- Atte Ohtamaa, hockey player
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Tammikuu 2019" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Media related to Nivala at Wikimedia Commons
- Nivala travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Municipality of Nivala – Official website
|This Oulu Province location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|