Nivio Ziviani at UFMG
August 27, 1946 |
Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
|Alma mater||University of Waterloo
|Doctoral advisor||Gaston Gonnet|
|Known for||Akwan Information Technologies
Miner Technology Group
|Notable awards||Prêmio SBC de Mérito Científico (2011)
Ordem Nacional do Mérito Científico - Comendador
Nivio Ziviani (Belo Horizonte - Brazil, August 27, 1946) is a Professor Emeritus at the Department of Computer Science of the Federal University of Minas Gerais (UFMG). He has a Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Waterloo, Canada, 1982. Nivio Ziviani is well known for his research in computer science, mainly focused on Information Retrieval, Algorithms and Web Recommender Systems, as can be seen in his DBLP and Google Scholar. He is member of the Brazilian Academy of Sciences and the National Order of the Scientific Merit in the class Comendador. In 2011 he received the Prize of Scientific Merit of the Brazilian Computer Science Society. He has Erdős number 2.
Nivio Ziviani is author of the following books about algorithms:
- Projeto de Algoritmos Com implementações em Pascal e em C (Cengage Learning, ISBN 9788522110506, Third Edition, 2010) (in Portuguese).
- Diseño de Algoritmos com implementaciones en Pascal y C(Thomson Learning, ISBN 978-84-9732-538-7, 2007) (in Spanish, translated from the Portuguese version).
- Projeto de Algoritmos Com implementações em Java e C++ (Thomson Learning, ISBN 85-221-0525-1, Second Edition, 2007) (in Portuguese).
He was the creator of one of the first search engines. He co-founded the Miner Technology Group in 1998, which was acquired by Group Folha de São Paulo / UOL in 1999, and a search engine company called Akwan Information Technologies in 2000, which was acquired by Google Inc. in 2005 - an acquisition that became worldwide news. With Akwan, Google bootstrapped its R&D Center for Latin America, which is located in Belo Horizonte. Nowadays he is also co-founder and the Chairman of the Board of Zunnit Technologies, a start-up company focused on software for recommending items of interest to Web users, and co-founder of Neemu.
At UFMG he coordinates the Laboratory for Treating Information (LATIN),  and is co-founder of the Information Retrieval Group at UFMG. He has co-authored over 100 refereed papers and 2 books in algorithm design and information retrieval, the latter his primary area of research. Nivio Ziviani was the General Co-Chair of the 28th ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval and co-founder and member of the Steering Committee of the International Conference on String Processing and Information Retrieval (SPIRE).
As a result of more than 30 years teaching and researching he has a great list of graduate students and research projects. One example of his research projects with great impact is the C Minimal Perfect Hashing Library (CMPH), which is an open source library with more than 10,500 downloads.
- "Professor da UFMG recebe prêmio de mérito científico da Sociedade Brasileira de Computação", Estado de Minas, 2011
- "Nivio Ziviani at Mathematics Genealogy Project", Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Professor da UFMG, Nívio Ziviani recebe prêmio nacional por mérito científico, 2011
- "Nivio Ziviani at ACM", Association for Computing Machinery
- "Nivio Ziviani at DBLP", DBLP
- "Nivio Ziviani at Google Scholar", Google Scholar
- "Nivio Ziviani at the Brazilian Academy of Sciences", Brazilian Academy of Sciences
- "Nivio Ziviani at Ministry of Science and Technology (Brazil)", Ministry of Science and Technology (Brazil)
- List of people with Erdős number 2
- A practical minimal perfect hashing method
- Projeto de Algoritmos Com implementações em Pascal e em C
- Diseño de Algoritmos com implementaciones en Pascal y C
- Projeto de Algoritmos Com implementações em Java e C++
- "Google compra empresa brasileira de busca", Universo Online, 2005
- Google monta base em Minas Gerais
- "Accurate Indication", Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo, 2012
- "28th SIGIR", Special Interest Group on Information Retrieval
- SPIRE 2012
- Nivio Ziviani's Lattes
- "CMPH", SourceForge
- "CMPH Download Stats", SourceForge
- Nivio Ziviani's Home Page
- Nivio Ziviani's Interview at TV Assembleia
- Laboratory for Treating Information (LATIN)