|Coordinates: 39°49′51″N 119°21′40″W / 39.83083°N 119.36111°W|
|• Total||6.33 sq mi (16.39 km2)|
|• Land||6.33 sq mi (16.39 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|Elevation||3,914 ft (1,193 m)|
|• Density||73.34/sq mi (28.31/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-8 (Pacific (PST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-7 (PDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0858114|
Nixon is a census-designated place (CDP) in Washoe County, Nevada, USA. The population was 374 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Reno–Sparks Metropolitan Statistical Area. It is the seat of tribal government of the Paiute Pyramid Lake Indian Reservation and home to the tribe's Museum and Visitor Center.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 6.3 square miles (16 km2), all land.
Nixon was named in honor of Senator George Stuart Nixon (R), who represented Nevada in the US Senate from 1905–1912.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
At the 2000 census there were 418 people, 132 households, and 104 families in the CDP. The population density was 66.2 inhabitants per square mile (25.6/km2). There were 144 housing units at an average density of 22.8 per square mile (8.8/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 2% White, 96% Native American, <1% Asian, <1% Pacific Islander, and 1% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5%.
Of the 132 households 49% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 37% were married couples living together, 35% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21% were non-families. 17% of households were one person and 5% were one person aged 65 or older. The average household size was 3.17 and the average family size was 3.59.
The age distribution was 39% under the age of 18, 10% from 18 to 24, 29% from 25 to 44, 14% from 45 to 64, and 10% 65 or older. The median age was 26 years. For every 100 females, there were 95.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 74.8 males.
The median household income was $25,417 and the median family income was $28,906. Males had a median income of $26,250 versus $22,250 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $9,926. About 22% of families and 26% of the population were below the poverty line, including 30% of those under age 18 and 26% of those age 65 or over.
Washoe County School District is the area school district.
The Bureau of Indian Education-contracted Pyramid Lake Schools is in Nixon.
- ^ "ArcGIS REST Services Directory". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 19, 2022.
- ^ a b c U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Nixon, Nevada
- ^ "Learn the rich history of Pyramid Lake and the Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe". Mar 3, 2016. Archived from the original on 2016-03-03. Retrieved Jan 10, 2021.
- ^ Carlson, Helen S. (1985). Nevada Place Names: A Geographical Dictionary. University of Nevada Press. ISBN 0874174031. Retrieved November 26, 2020.
- ^ Federal Writers' Project (1941). Origin of Place Names: Nevada (PDF). W.P.A. p. 71. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2018-04-16.
- ^ "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- ^ "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.