|Trade names||Axid, Tazac|
|Elimination half-life||1–2 hours|
|CompTox Dashboard (EPA)|
|Chemical and physical data|
|Molar mass||331.45 g·mol−1|
|3D model (JSmol)|
|(what is this?)|
Side effects are uncommon, usually minor, and include diarrhea, constipation, fatigue, drowsiness, headache, and muscle aches.
History and development
Nizatidine was developed by Eli Lilly, and was first marketed in 1988. It is considered to be equipotent with ranitidine and differs by the substitution of a thiazole ring in place of the furan ring in ranitidine. In September 2000, Eli Lilly announced they would sell the sales and marketing rights for Axid to Reliant Pharmaceuticals. Subsequently, Reliant developed the oral solution of Axid, marketing this in 2004, after gaining approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). However, a year later, they sold rights of the Axid Oral Solution (including the issued patent protecting the product) to Braintree Laboratories.
Axid (nizatidine) drug recalled due to presence of NDMA
- Famotidine (Pepcid) — another popular H2 receptor antagonist
- Romero M, Franzosi MG (1989). "[Nizatidine]". Medicina (Florence, Italy) (in Italian). 9 (1): 93–6. PMID 2567957.
- "Nizatidine: FDA-Approved Drugs". U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Retrieved 20 March 2020.
- Fischer J, Ganellin CR (2006). Analogue-based Drug Discovery. John Wiley & Sons. p. 44. ISBN 9783527607495.
- "Nizatidine". LiverTox: Clinical and Research Information on Drug-Induced Liver Injury. NCBI Bookshelf. 25 January 2018. PMID 31643707. NBK548387. Retrieved 19 March 2020.
- "Eli Lilly and Company and Reliant Pharmaceuticals Announce Agreement for U.S. Sales and Marketing Rights to Axid(R)". High Beam Encyclopedia. 7 September 2000. Archived from the original on May 26, 2008.
- "Reliant Pharmaceuticals to Launch AxidŽ Oral Solution". Reliant Pharmaceuticals, LLC. 26 July 2004.
- US 6930119, Bobotas G, Fawzy AA, "Liquid pharmaceutical composition", issued 24 June 2005, assigned to Reliant Pharmaceuticals, LLC
- "Reliant Pharmaceuticals Announces the Sale of Axid® Oral Solution to Braintree Laboratories". Reliant Pharmaceuticals, LLC. Archived from the original on August 14, 2007.
- "Nizatidine". Drug Information Portal. U.S. National Library of Medicine.