|Region||Central Region of Uganda|
|Elevation||3,900 ft (1,200 m)|
|Population (2011 Estimate)|
Nkokonjeru is approximately 23 kilometres (14 mi), by road, southwest of Buikwe, the site of the district headquarters. The town is approximately 46 kilometres (29 mi), by road, southwest of Njeru, the largest urban centre in the district. This is approximately 50 kilometres (31 mi), by road, southeast of Kampala, the capital and largest city of Uganda. The coordinates of Nkokonjeru are 0°14'22.0"N, 32°55'23.0"E (Latitude:0.239444; Longitude:32.923056).
Nkokonjeru was the location of a traditional shine where the Baganda used to sacrifice white chicken prior to 1890. In 1891, the Mill Hill Fathers established a Catholic Parish in the area. When lightning felled the sacrifice tree, the missionaries used the wood to burn bricks and build the Parish Church. Subsequently, they built schools, a hospital and a teacher's college. The Catholic Parish of Nkonkonjeru had over 45,000 registered parishioners, as of August 2009.
The 2002 national census enumerated the population of Nkokonjeru at 11,095. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) estimated the population at 13,700. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population at 14,000.
Points of interest
The following points of interest lie within or near Nkokonjeru:
- offices of Nkokonjeru Town Council
- St. Francis Hospital, Nkokonjeru, a 200-bed community hospital administered by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Lugazi
- Nkokonjeru Church of Uganda Primary School
- St. Paul's Primary School, Nkokonjeru
- St. Peter's Secondary School, Nkokonjeru
- Nkokonjeru Teacher Training College
- Nkokonjeru Technical College
- Nkokonjeru Catholic Church
- Stella Maris Boarding Primary School, Nsuube
- Stella Maris College, Nsuube
- St. Alphonsus Demonstration School
- St. Anthony Convent Secondary School
- Providence Home
- Rural Agency for Sustainable Development
- Nkokonjeru Savings and Credit Co-operative
- Mother Kevin Vocation Institute
- St. Claire Primary School
- Little Angels Primary School
- Mukono–Kyetume–Katosi–Nyenga Road, passing through the middle of town
- Kyotalengerire, Agnes (2 September 2013). "Nalugo's Gospel: Proper Nutrition Starts At The Breast". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- Okwera, Oyet (3 October 2008). "A Sacred Tree Built Nkokonjeru Chapel". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- GFC (20 July 2015). "Map Showing Nkokonjeru And Buikwe With Route Marker". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- GFC (20 July 2015). "Road Distance Between Njeru And Nkokonjeru With Map". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- GFC (20 July 2015). "Map Showing Nkokonjeru And Kampala With Route Marker". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- Google (20 July 2015). "Location of Nkokonjeru at Google Maps" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- Lukwago, Juliet (11 July 2008). "Nkokonjeru Catholic Parish Through 111 Years". new Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- UBOS (2012). "Population Estimates for Nkokonjeru In 2002, 2010 And 2011" (PDF). Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- "Nkokonjeru Hospital Gets X-ray Machine". New Vision. Kampala. 26 January 2007. Retrieved 20 July 2015.