Noé de la Flor Casanova
|In office||January 1, 1943 – December 31, 1946|
|Preceded by||Francisco Trujillo Gurría|
|Succeeded by||Francisco Javier Santamaría|
|Born||May 29, 1904|
|Birth Place||Teapa Tabasco|
|Place of Death||Mexico City|
|Political Party||Partido Revolucionario Institucional (PRI)|
Noé de la Flor Casanova (May 29, 1904 in Teapa, Tabasco – 1986 in Mexico City) was a Mexican lawyer, cantautor, writer, poet and politician who served for four years as Governor of Tabasco, before being removed from office following a scandal.
Life and work
De la Flor y Casanova was the son of Manuel de la Flor Hernández, a master tailor, and Elodia Casanova de de la Flor, the family was extremely poor. After completing primary school in Teapa he moved to Villahermosa (then called San Juan Bautista) to attend the Instituto Juárez, a preparatory school founded by Manuel Sánchez Mármol. With a scholarship, obtained for him by José Vasconcelos at the request of fellow Tabascan Carlos Pellicer, De la Flor Casanova enrolled in the National Preparatory School in Mexico City. After obtaining a law degree from the National Autonomous University of Mexico in 1930 he served in the following judicial posts: Secretary of the Criminal Courts in the Federal District from 1930–36; professor at the National Law School, UNAM, 1937–46; Justice of the Peace, 1937–39; Judge of the Superior Tribunal of Justice of the Federal Territories, 1940–42, 1946-58. He was Governor of Tabasco from 1943–46 and was removed from office following a scandal, the details of which remain obscure. He was also a founding member (1936) of the Socialist Lawyers Front of Mexico (Frente de abogados socialistas). He was, as a result of his writings, associated, in the minds of some, with a modern current of libertinage érudit.
(list not comprehensive)
- Díaz Mirón, y otros poemas 1935
- Madre Revolución; insurgencias líricas de Noé de la Flor Casanova 1936
- Paisaje nada más 1938
- Balcón al viento 1958
- Ideario de Winston Churchill (1874-1965) 1965
- Viajando por el mundo de mis libros: reflexiones inconexas para inteligentes y para tontos 1975
- Licor del silencio: poemas 1982
- (English) Camp, Roderic Ai, Mexican political biographies, 1935-1993. The Hague: Mouton, 1993.
- (Spanish) Acosta, Marco Antonio, Nueva antología de poetas tabasqueños contemporáneos, Mexico: Univ. J. Autónoma de Tabasco, 2006.
- (Spanish) Castellanos Castilla, Gerardo, De la Flor Casanova: Isla y tierra firme. Mexico, D.F.: Editorial Cultura, 1958.
- (Spanish) Castro Leal, Antonio, La poesía mexicana moderna. Mexico: Fondo de Cultura Económica, 1953.