Cover of the first Japanese volume
|Genre||Comedy, Parody, Romance|
|Written by||Shirow Shiratori|
|Published by||SB Creative|
|Original run||August 15, 2011 – present|
|Written by||Shirow Shiratori|
|Illustrated by||Maru Asakura|
|Published by||Square Enix|
|Original run||March 2012 – June 2015|
|Written by||Shirow Shiratori|
|Published by||Square Enix|
|Original run||August 24, 2013 – August 25, 2014|
|Written by||Shirow Shiratori|
|Illustrated by||Toshiko Machida|
|Published by||SB Creative|
|Magazine||GA Bunko Magazine|
|Original run||October 17, 2013 – present|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Shin Ōnuma|
|Written by||Michiko Yokote|
|Music by||Tomoki Kikuya|
|Original network||Tokyo MX, TV Aichi, Sun TV, GBS, BS11, Animax|
|Original run||January 10, 2014 – March 29, 2014|
No-Rin (Japanese: のうりん Hepburn: Nōrin, 農林) lit. "agriculture and forestry" is a Japanese light novel series written by Shirow Shiratori, with illustrations by Kippu. An anime adaptation by Silver Link aired from January 10, 2014 to March 29, 2014. Funimation streamed the series on their video website.
The sudden retirement of the famous idol Yuka Kusakabe from the entertainment business shocks the world and devastates her biggest fan, a teenager named Kosaku Hata. His classmates at the Tamo Agriculture School manage to get him out of his depression and bring him out of his room to attend his classes. However, as he does, Kusakabe enters their class under the name Ringo Kinoshita as a transfer student. Kosaku realizes he has a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get to personally know his dream girl. With his group of friends, and under the persuasion of his teacher, he tries to find out why she came to the agricultural school and become more than just classmates.
- Kōsaku Hata (畑 耕作 Hata Kōsaku)
- Voiced by: Shintarō Asanuma (Japanese); Austin Tindle (English)
- Class representative of 2-A class. His parents had decided to become farmers when he was very little, but his unwillingness to do so led to the family to fracture, and eventually his mother died. To that end, he was raised almost entirely by Minori's family. Kosaku idolizes Yuka Kusakabe, whom he sees as a symbol for a life in the city that he desperately craves. He enrolls in an agriculture school just so he can send his grown vegetables anonymously to her, and is devastated upon hearing of her retirement. He is surprised, however, that his idol becomes his classmate, albeit under another name and as a seemingly different person. He is somehow oblivious to Minori's feelings for him despite that he can get flustered by any suggestive language from her. It also appears that Ringo also has an interest in Kōsaku by getting seemingly jealous over suggestive stories about him and Minori. He also prefers feet more than breasts.
- Ringo Kinoshita (木下 林檎 Kinoshita Ringo)
- Voiced by: Yukari Tamura (Japanese); Jad Saxton (English)
- An idol who previously performed under the stage name Yuka Kusakabe (草壁 ゆか Kusakabe Yuka). She unexpectedly retires from show business and enrolls herself at the Tamo Agricultural school. Unlike her idol persona, she, as Ringo, is more reserved and quiet. She is somewhat a rival of Minori for what seems to be Kōsaku's affection (she has called Minori a "Fat Ass" and a "Meddling Bug" in an episode while competing to plant rice in a rice field), yet they became on good terms after the incident. She appears to be conscious of her slender figure as the mention of her having small breasts can make her violently angry. It is eventually revealed that Ringo came to the school because Minori wrote her a letter about Kosaku, which caused her to fall in love with him. She confesses her feelings to him in the eighth novel, and they begin dating.
- Minori Nakazawa (中沢 農 Nakazawa Minori)
- Voiced by: Kana Hanazawa (Japanese); Lynsey Hale (English)
- Kōsaku childhood best friend. She has a major crush on Kōsaku, and her over-protectiveness shot up with Ringo's arrival. She even challenged her in episode 3 to a series of contests because of that. Though after what seems to be their "fight" on the rice fields in an episode (she called Ringo a "Thieving Cat" during that time), they seemed to be friendly with each other. She speaks with a Mino dialect. She is revealed to be very ticklish in episode 4. She mentioned that Kosaku often stayed with her (as he had no mother and his father was always out) and took baths with her and her siblings until their eighth grade, much to Rintarō's envy.
- Kei Kamatori (過真鳥 継 Kamatori Kei)
- Voiced by: Wataru Hatano (Japanese); Derick Snow (English)
- A friend of Kōsaku and Minori. At times he is analytical, but he is notorious for wearing mankinis whenever water is involved. He also rides a goat he calls Yakul, though its real name hasn't been revealed yet. He is the son of the owner of a big agricultural company--to whom he lost in an agricultural sale showdown, prompting him to go abroad for the seminar he was offered. He had a falling out with his father due to the latter using chemicals in his farming methods that his wife, Kei's mother, was terribly sensitive to which contributed to her early death. This is the reason behind Kei's desire to farm only organic goods without the use of chemicals such as pesticides. He reveals in episode 10 that he asked his aunt to adopt him after his falling out with his father which explains why his surname is Kamatori and not Menjō.
- Jane Natalie Hansen III (ジェーン・ナタリー・ハンセン三世 Jēn Natarī Hansen Sansei)
- International student from Texas.
- Kochō Yoshida (良田 胡蝶 Yoshida Kochō)
- Voiced by: Marina Inoue (Japanese); Megan Shipman (English)
- Kōsaku's classmate and one of the Shitennō (四天農, lit. Four Heavenly Farmers), "Boin Yoshida". She majors in animal husbandry. She is shown to have a crush towards Kei, but she denies it in front of others. She switches from a proud, stern personality to a timid, stuttering one when she feels embarrassed or shy. A recurring gag in the series is that people tend to mention and/or emphasize her great bust size and harass her for it, much (mostly) to her embarrassment. She later accompanies Kei to a seminar abroad that both of them were invited to.
- Akari Suzuki (鈴木 燈 Suzuki Akari)
- Voiced by: Yuka Ōtsubo (Japanese); Bryn Apprill (English)
- Class representative of 2-B class and one of the Shitennō, "Bio Suzuki". An expert in biotechnology, and has invented a yogurt culture that one can just apply--partly using it as a means to justify her bukkake fetish by having Kosaku and Kei shoot each other with it. She is usually dressed in a Gothic lolita outfit. Like Kanegami, she tends to go with the flow of the other Shitennō.
- Torao Kanegami (金上 虎於 Kanegami Torao)
- Voiced by: Mariko Higashiuchi (Japanese); Morgan Garrett (English)
- Class representative of 2-D class and one of the Shitennō, "Money Kanegami". A master of anything related to making money by all means necessary--even to the point of getting suspended; but considers it fun. She also tends to go with the flow of the other Shitennō. She is known for her flashy earrings (The signs for the Dollar and Yen).
- Kaoru Hanazono (花園 カヲル Hanazono Kaoru)
- Voiced by: Kishō Taniyama (Japanese); Joel McDonald (English)
- Class representative of 2-E class and one of the Shitennō, "Rose Hanazono". He is an expert in the art of landscaping, but Kōsaku is kind of at odds with him for making a pass at Minori despite his gender preference. His true inclination was revealed when he invited over Ringo under the pretense of luring Kōsaku. He was able to successfully kiss him by taking advantage of the fact that Kōsaku is not aware of what sex he is really into even though Kei stormed in to warn him. Kei warned Kōsaku to late.
- Rintarō Miyamoto (宮本 林太郎 Miyamoto Rintarō)
- Voiced by: Nobuyuki Hiyama (Japanese); Jarrod Greene (English)
- Class representative of 2-F class and one of the Shitennō, "Woodman Rintarō". He has mastery of the forestry trade, but he is fiercely jealous of the fact that there are two attractive girls close to Kōsaku; and is desperate to, at least, have a girl sit beside him (all due to the fact that there are no girls in his class). Although Kōsaku mentioned that his class once had a female classmate, Rintarō angrily states that she ran away after one day. It is stated that he is weak against love triangles.
- Natsumi Bekki (戸次 菜摘 Bekki Natsumi)
- Voiced by: Chiwa Saitō (Japanese); Tia Ballard (English)
- Also known as "Becky," she is the Homeroom teacher of 2-A class. Because of her mood swings in her class, she has this trait of suddenly plunging the entire class into despair. Despite her young looks and demeanor, she is a true adult (She is forty years-old). A running gag involves Bekki and Kōsaku in hilarious situations such as her telling that it's okay to do "it" since it's him. She is desperate to get married, and this desperation results in her erratic, near-hysterical behavior, especially when the very subject of it is brought up and often gets jealous of younger girls. It is also mentioned the only reason she has not yet been fired for her inappropriate behaviour is because her father is an important politician.
- Kuwanosuke Naganawa (永縄 鍬之介 Naganawa Kuwanosuke)
- Voiced by: Tomokazu Sugita (Japanese); Mark Stoddard (English)
- Principal of Tamo Agriculture School who Kōsaku claims once killed a bear with his bear hands.
- Hajime Menjō (校條 創 Menjō Hajime)
- Voiced by: Rikiya Koyama (Japanese); Sean Hennigan (English)
- President of Hexa Techs Corporation and the biological father of Kei Kamatori who he bests in a produce selling contest in episode 10. He and Kei had a falling out due to him continuously using chemicals in his farming methods that his wife was terribly sensitive to which contributed to her early death. He is a sharp business man who Kei claims always has his eye on the bottom line. Unlike his son, he believes that using modern technology in farming produces better results than organically grown goods.
No-Rin began as a light novel series written by Shirow Shiratori and illustrated by Kippu.
- August 15, 2011 - ISBN 978-4-7973-6690-7
- November 15, 2011 - ISBN 978-4-7973-6811-6
- March 15, 2012 - ISBN 978-4-7973-6896-3
- August 11, 2012 - ISBN 978-4-7973-7135-2
- December 15, 2012 - ISBN 978-4-7973-7252-6
- April 15, 2013 - ISBN 978-4-7973-7336-3
- September 14, 2013 - ISBN 978-4-7973-7521-3
- January 10, 2014 - ISBN 978-4-7973-7657-9
The direct manga adaptation illustrated by Maru Asakura and cooperated by Yoko Matsu'ura is being serialized on Square Enix's Young Gangan Comics starting from March 16, 2012. Another manga adaptation titled No-Rin Petit (のうりん プチ Nōrin Puchi), which more focuses on the comedy, being serialized by Kotoji by August 24, 2013 on Square Enix's Big Gangan. The third manga adaptation which started on October 17, 2013 by Toshiko Machida being titled as No-Rin -Wild- (のうりん-野生-＜ガイヤ＞ Nōrin-Yasei (Gaiya)-), serialized on SB Creative's GA Bunko Magazine.
A drama CD adaptation was released by HOBiRECORDS on April 27, 2012.
The opening theme for the anime is Himitsu no Tobira kara Ai ni Kite (秘密の扉から会いにきて) performed by Yukari Tamura and the ending theme song is Mogitate ♥ Fruit Girls (も・ぎ・た・て♥フルーツガールズ) by Yukari Tamura and Kana Hanazawa. In the first episode, the opening theme was Cordless Telephone (コードレス☆照れ☆PHONE, lit. Cordless☆Shy☆PHONE) by Yukari Tamura as Yuka Kusakabe.
|1||"Chuno Love Story"|
"Chūnō Love Story" (厨脳ラブストーリー)
|January 10, 2014|
|Teen idol Yuka Kusakabe announces her retirement. Kosaku Hata, a student of the Tamo Agricultural School and her biggest fan, is devastated. Soon afterwards new girl Ringo Kinoshita joins their class, only she seems strangely familiar.|
|2||"The King of Farmers"|
"Kingu Obu Fāmāzu" (キング・オブ・ファーマーズ)
|January 18, 2014|
|Kosaku shows new girl Ringo around the school and introduces her to childhood friend Minori Nakazawa, best friend Kei Kamatori, pet wallaby Wakadana and large breasted classmate Kocho Yoshida. During a welcome party Ringo seems oddly jealous of how close Minori is to Kosaku, at least until an unfortunate laundry room encounter turns into a "best panties" competition.|
|3||"Super Sub-Mom War: Training Stage"|
"Sūpā Shūtome Taisen Jisshū-hen" (スーパー姑大戦 実習篇)
|January 25, 2014|
|Kosaku is devastated to find Minori has thrown away all his Yuka Kusakabe merchandise, even his favourite body pillow. Meanwhile it is Ringo's first day farming with the other students and Minori is determined not to be beaten by an ex idol from the big city.|
|4||"The Smile You Showed Me"|
"Kimi ga Miseta Egao" (君が見せた笑顔)
|February 1, 2014|
|Everybody must work together to catch a vegetable thief who has been pilfering from the fields at night. A misunderstanding leads to some embarrassment in Minori's bedroom. Kosaku is concerned Ringo has not smiled once since arriving at the school and several attempts are made to remedy this.|
|5||"Farming's Five Top Four"|
"Gonin no Shitennō" (五人の四天農)
|February 8, 2014|
|Through a series of unfortunate events Ringo meets three of the schools top farming students, the Yaoi obsessed class rep of the Biotechnology department, Akari "Bio" Suzuku, the forever lonely class rep of the Forestry department, Rintaro "Woodman" Miyamoto, and the strangely effeminate class rep of the Landscaping department, Kaoru "Rose" Hanazono.|
|6||"Full-Moe Alchemist: Bounty"|
"Megumi no Renkinjutsushi" (萌（めぐみ）の錬金術師)
|February 15, 2014|
|Kosaku and his friends realise they could sell more produce by using cute girls in their advertising. Thus appears expert money making student Torao "Money" Kanegami. Before long they are swamped with orders for Moe Eggs and erotically shaped mushrooms. Unfortunately that is against school rules and success is quickly followed by suspensions from class. At least Ringo looks good in a yukata.|
"Gōkyū Sarada" (号泣サラダ)
|February 22, 2014|
|A sudden influx of excess vegetables leads to a sudden increase in body weight among the class. The untimely arrival of mould ruins Ringo's first crop of Soy beans, and drought followed by intense rainfall almost ruins this years tomato harvest. Certain truths are also revealed about Minori's involvement with the vegetables Kosaku sent anonymously to Ringo back when she was an idol.|
"Kukkingu Baba" (クッキングババ)
|March 1, 2014|
|40 year old class teacher Natsumi Bekki is tired of being single and embarks on a lust fuelled rampage against crops and students alike but is soon foiled by the intervention of Kei and a goat. A great debate has arisen amongst the boys, are large breasts better than small. Meanwhile, Kosaku, Ringo and Miss Bekki host a cooking show for the class that ultimately ends with the inappropriately nyotaimori-clad Miss Bekki being ejected from the room by her exasperated students.|
|9||"School Swim Trunks"|
"Gakkō no Kaipan" (学校の海パン)
|March 8, 2014|
|Minori has never once been to the beach. And she's not likely to anytime soon as rain, floods and heavy winds threaten the fields. Nothing a school bus in the right place can't fix. Now if only Kosaku can focus on his driving instead of Ringo in a swimsuit Minori may get her day at the beach after all.|
|10||"Veggie Battle: Ultimate v. Supreme"|
"Kyūkyoku to Shikō no Yasai Taiketsu!" (究極と至高の野菜対決!)
|March 15, 2014|
|Legendary School Principal Kuwanosuke Naganawa, who once killed a bear using only his hands, is slowly going mad with longing for the perfect eggplant. Meanwhile Kei's wealthy father, Hajime Menjo, owner of the Hexa Tech Corporation, challenges Kei to a sales duel. Kei's all organic produce against his chemically enhanced produce. If Kei loses he must leave his friends and return home with his father to run the company.|
|11||"Cheerful Farming Village"|
"Akarui Nōson" (あかるいのうそん)
|March 22, 2014|
|With Kei and Kocho travelling together abroad Kosaku, Minori and Ringo return to Kosaku and Minori's hometown for summer break, however, a fake pregnancy announcement ends with Kosaku engaged to Minori with the full support of her parents. Could this be a fiendish plot. Either way, Ringo is less than pleased. Meanwhile, where has Wakadana been hiding all this time.|
"Minna no Nōrin" (みんなののうりん)
|March 29, 2014|
|Kosaku is coerced into going along with a fake wedding for the sake of the future of the village, however, Wakadana's hiding place is revealed at the crucial moment ruining the festive mood. An apologetic and heartfelt speech from Kosaku narrowly saves the day. Now if only he can choose between Ringo and Minori he might just avoid a punch to the face. Everybody returns to school where Ringo and Minori happily watch Kosaku being chased by the schools mad bull.|
- "No-Rin Romantic Comedy TV Anime Slated for January". Anime News Network. July 31, 2013. Retrieved August 6, 2013.
- "Funimation to Stream Buddy Complex, No-Rin, Nobunagun Anime". Anime News Network. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- "No-Rin English Cast Announcement". Funimation. December 11, 2015.
- "Yukari Tamura Performs No-Rin TV Anime's Opening Theme". Anime News Network. Retrieved November 12, 2013.