No. 578 Squadron RAF
|No. 578 Squadron RAF|
578 Squadron aircrew in front of their Handley Page Halifax
|Active||14 January 1944 – 15 April 1945|
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Part of||No. 4 Group RAF, Bomber Command|
|Battle honours||France and Germany, 1944–1945|
Honours marked with an asterisk* are emblazoned on the Squadron Standard
|Squadron Badge heraldry||An arrow in pale, the point downwards, cleft by another|
|Squadron Codes||LK (Jan 1944 – Apr 1945)|
|Bomber||Handley Page Halifax|
Four-engined heavy bomber
578 Squadron was formed at RAF Snaith, East Riding of Yorkshire on 14 January 1944 from 'C' flight of No. 51 Squadron RAF, equipped with Halifax Mk.III bombers, as part of No. 4 Group RAF in Bomber Command. It transferred to RAF Burn, North Yorkshire in February, and was disbanded there on 15 April 1945. The squadron carried out 2,721 operational sorties with the Halifax for a loss 40 aircraft.
Notable squadron members
|January 1944||March 1945||Handley-Page Halifax||Mk.III|
Two of the Halifaxes of 578 squadron passed the century mark and flew more than 100 operational sorties:
|MZ527||105||LK-W, LK-D||Struck of charge, April 1945|
|LW587||104||LK-V, LK-A||Scrapped, September 1946||Did their 100th operation together, 3 March 1945|
|14 January 1944||6 February 1944||RAF Snaith, East Riding of Yorkshire|
|6 February 1944||15 April 1945||RAF Burn, North Yorkshire|
- Adams, Chuck. 578 Squadron Operations, 1944–45. self-published, 1983.
- Bowyer, Michael J.F. and John D.R. Rawlings. Squadron Codes, 1937–56. Cambridge, UK: Patrick Stephens Ltd., 1979. ISBN 0-85059-364-6.
- Cawdron, Hugh. Based at Burn – 578 Sqn airmen recall.... Middlesex: Hugh Cawdron/578 Burn Association,1995
- Cawdron, Hugh. Based at Burn Mk.II: After 50 Years the Biography of an Outstanding Airman and a Diary of the Bomber Squadron he Founded and Commanded. Bristol: Hugh Cawdron/578 Burn Association, 2001. ISBN 0-9525317-1-2.
- Delve, Ken. The Source Book of the RAF. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1994. ISBN 1-85310-451-5.
- Falconer, Jonathan. Bomber Command Handbook 1939–1945, Stroud, UK: Sutton Publishing, 2003. ISBN 0-7509-3171-X.
- Flintham, Vic and Andrew Thomas. Combat Codes: A full explanation and listing of British, Commonwealth and Allied air force unit codes since 1938. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing Ltd., 2003. ISBN 1-84037-281-8.
- Halley, James J. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force & Commonwealth 1918–1988. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air Britain (Historians) Ltd., 1988. ISBN 0-85130-164-9.
- Jefford, Wing Commander C.G., MBE,BA,RAF (Retd). RAF Squadrons, a Comprehensive Record of the Movement and Equipment of all RAF Squadrons and their Antecedents since 1912. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 2001. ISBN 1-84037-141-2.
- Jones, Geoffrey. Raider: The Halifax and its Flyers. London: William Kimber & Co. Ltd., 1978. ISBN 0-7183-0066-1.
- Marshall, Ken. The Pendulum and the Scythe: A History of No.4 Group Bomber Command. Walton-on-Thames, Surrey, UK: Air Research Publications, 1996. ISBN 1-871187-32-X.
- Moyes, Philip J.R. Bomber Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London: Macdonald and Jane's, 1964 (2nd edition 1976). ISBN 0-354-01027-1.
- Ward, Chris. Royal Air Force Bomber Command Squadron Profiles: 578 Squadron – "Accuracy" (Bomber Command Profile no. 113). Lutterworth, Berkshire, UK: Ward Publishing, 1998.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to No. 578 Squadron RAF.|