No. 670 Squadron RAF
|No. 670 Squadron RAF|
|Active||16 November 1944 – 1 July 1946|
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Part of||No. 229 Group RAF, South East Asia Command|
|Motto(s)||In Silence we Strike (unofficial)|
|Squadron Badge||A winged cobra (unofficial)|
|Squadron Codes||No code(s) known to have been used by this squadron|
No. 670 Squadron was formed at Fatehjang, Punjab, (then) British India on 14 December 1944 as a glider squadron, with the intention of being used for airborne operations by South East Asia Command. It continued to train, as part of No. 343 Wing RAF, until the surrender of Japan, when it became surplus to requirements. The squadron was disbanded on 1 July 1946 at Chaklala, Punjab, British India.
The squadron today is represented by 670 Squadron of 7 (Training) Regiment, Army Air Corps.
|January 1945||June 1945||Hadrian|
|July 1945||July 1946||de Havilland Tiger Moth||Mk.II|
|December 1945||June 1946||Airspeed Horsa|
|14 December 1944||30 May 1945||Fatehjang, Punjab, British India|
|30 May 1945||1 June 1945||Dhamial, Punjab, British India|
|1 June 1945||23 June 1945||Basal, Punjab, British India|
|23 June 1945||26 July 1945||Upper Topa Camp, Punjab, British India|
|26 July 1945||1 April 1946||Fatehjang, Punjab, British India|
|1 April 1946||1 July 1946||Chaklala, Punjab, British India|
- Bowyer, Michael J.F. and John D.R. Rawlings. Squadron Codes, 1937-56. Cambridge, UK: Patrick Stephens Ltd., 1979. ISBN 0-85059-364-6.
- Delve, Ken. The Source Book of the RAF. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1994. ISBN 1-85310-451-5.
- Flintham, Vic and Andrew Thomas. Combat Codes: A full explanation and listing of British, Commonwealth and Allied air force unit codes since 1938. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing Ltd., 2003. ISBN 1-84037-281-8.
- Halley, James J. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force & Commonwealth 1918-1988. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air Britain (Historians) Ltd., 1988. ISBN 0-85130-164-9.
- Jefford, Wing Commander C.G., MBE, BA, RAF(Retd.). RAF Squadrons, a Comprehensive record of the Movement and Equipment of all RAF Squadrons and their Antecedents since 1912. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1988 (second edition 2001). ISBN 1-85310-053-6.
- Rawlings, John. Coastal, Support and Special Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London: Jane's Publishing Company Ltd, 1982. ISBN 0-7106-0187-5.