Promotional poster for No Breathing
|Directed by||Jo Yong-sun|
|Produced by||Lee Song-joon
|Written by||Yoo Young-ah
|Edited by||Heo Sun-mi|
Soo Jack Films
|Distributed by||9ers Entertainment|
No Breathing (Hangul: 노브레싱; RR: Nobeureshing) is a 2013 South Korean sports film set in the world of competitive swimming, starring Seo In-guk, Lee Jong-suk and Kwon Yuri. The film was released in theaters on October 30, 2013.
Like his swimming champion father, Won-il (Seo In-guk) was once a promising swimmer. But when his father dies during a swimming competition (where he was doing his specialty called "no breathing"), followed soon after by his mother's death, Won-il quits swimming for good. Instead, he lives life hopelessly and recklessly, like there is no tomorrow. With Won-il in danger of being expelled from school, his father's longtime friend Jae-suk (Park Chul-min) drags him to a physical education-focused high school, hoping that he'll start swimming again. There he meets his long-ago rival, Woo-sang (Lee Jong-suk) who in the past had always been overshadowed by Won-il. With Won-il's absence from the sport, Woo-sang is now in first place and is a national swimming star. But he gets disqualified from the national tryouts after getting into trouble, so he has to start from ground zero and ends up at the same phys-ed school as Won-il. Woo-sang is Won-il's complete opposite in personality, and all he cares about is winning so he finds Won-il's return to the sport unwelcome. Then there is Jae-suk's daughter, Jung-eun (Kwon Yuri) who captures both Won-il and Woo-sang's hearts and further reignites the rivalry between them. The two very different young men begin training for an upcoming swimming competition, battling for love and friendship as they undergo the rite of passage of growing up.
- Seo In-guk as Jo Won-il
- Yoo Seung-yong as young Won-il
- A swimming prodigy who stopped participating in the sport, and now wants to make a comeback. He is a headstrong, impulsive, and live-for-the-moment kind of guy.
- A national swimmer who is uptight and aloof, and hails from a privileged family.
- Kwon Yuri as Jung-eun
- Kim Bo-min as young Jung-eun
- A girl with a carefree personality who dreams of becoming a musician. She grew up with the boys as children.
- Shin Min-chul as Jung-dong
- Kim Jae-young as Dae-chan
- Park Chul-min as Jae-suk
- Park Jung-chul as Coach Jang
- Sunwoo Jae-duk as Woo-sang's father
- Ah Young as Se-mi
- Jeon Bo-mi as Ha-na
- Lee Chang-joo as Woo-hyun
- Park Hyun-woo as Jo Min-gook
- Jung Min-sung as announcer
- Park Yong-sik as head of swimming association
- Kim Young-sun as Woo-sang's mother
- Kim Jung-hak as reporter Han
On the day of its release on October 30, 2013, No Breathing drew 44,707 admissions and ranked 4th on the Korean box office. The film sold a total of 451,669 tickets during its domestic run, grossing ₩2,991,824,739 (or US$2,781,101).
The film also received a theatrical release in other Asian countries in December 2013, namely Singapore (December 5), Hong Kong (December 12), Taiwan (December 13), and Vietnam (December 28). The film grossed over $22,655 on its opening weekend in Singapore, grossing $38,740 during its two-week run. On its opening weekend in Hong Kong, it grossed $35,728 and a total of $53,729 at the end of its run.
- "No Breathing (2013)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2013-12-07.
- Sunwoo, Carla (25 October 2013). "Actors take plunge into swimming roles". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-02-01.
- Kang, Jung-yeon (10 September 2013). "Lee Jong-suk, Seo In-guk's Sports Pic to Open in October". TenAsia. Retrieved 2013-09-13.
- Jung, Ji-won (12 November 2013). "Singer Seo making a splash as actor". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-02-01.
- An, So-hyoun (18 April 2013). "Seo In Guk and Lee Jong Seok Cast for Film No Breathing". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-05-20.
- Jeon, Su-mi (16 May 2013). "SNSD's Yuri to Make Big Screen Debut with No Breathing". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-05-20.
- Lee, Hye-ji (16 May 2013). "Girls' Generation Yuri Cast in Seo In-guk, Lee Jong-suk's Film". TenAsia. Retrieved 2013-05-20.
- Lee, Sun-min (17 May 2013). "Yuri will play lead in No Breathing". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-02-01.
- "Dal Shabet's Ahyoung to play Yuri's friend in the movie No Breathing". Allkpop. 22 May 2013. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- Hicap, Jonathan (5 August 2013). "Korean movie No Breathing to be filmed in Davao". Korea Observer. Retrieved 2013-09-13.
- '노브레싱' 개봉 첫날 5만 5천↑, 활기찬 출발. Asia Economic Daily (in Korean). 31 October 2013. Retrieved 2014-02-01.
- "Lee Jong Suk, Seo In Guk, and Yuri's No Breathing to be released all over Asia". Allkpop. 18 November 2013. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (22 October 2013). "SNSD's Yuri Sings Bling Star for No Breathing MV". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2014-02-01.