No More Lonely Nights
|"No More Lonely Nights"|
|Single by Paul McCartney|
|from the album Give My Regards to Broad Street|
|B-side||"No More Lonely Nights (Playout Version)"
"No More Lonely Nights (Special Dance Mix)"
|Released||September 24, 1984|
|Recorded||Abbey Road – 1984|
|Length||4:42 (Ballad version)
4:35 (Playout version)
Columbia (US & Canada)
|Paul McCartney singles chronology|
Release and charts
Two versions of the single on both 7" & 12" as well as a 12" picture disc were issued in both the U.K. and U.S. The first 7" version featured "No More Lonely Nights" backed with the playout version. The second featured the Arthur Baker Dance Mix as the B-side.
Stephen Thomas Erlewine of allmusic said the song was "an absolutely lovely mid-tempo tune graced by a terrific David Gilmour guitar solo." In a radio interview prior to 1990's Knebworth concerts, Gilmour told Jim Ladd that "No More Lonely Nights" was the last thing McCartney recorded for the film, and that he told McCartney to give his session fee to a charity of his choice.
- 7" single – UK, 1984
- "No More Lonely Nights"
- "No More Lonely Nights" (playout version)
- 7" single
- "No More Lonely Nights"
- "No More Lonely Nights" (special dance mix)
- 12" single – UK, 1984
- "No More Lonely Nights" (extended version)
- "Silly Love Songs" (remake)
- "No More Lonely Nights" (ballad)
- 12" single
- "No More Lonely Nights" (special dance mix by Arthur Baker)
- "No More Lonely Nights" (special dance edit)
- No More Lonely Nights (Ballad) [produced by George Martin]
- 5:13 – CD Album Version (includes dialogue from the movie)
- 4:42 – LP/Vinyl Album Version (includes dialogue from the movie)
- 4:47 – Wingspan: Hits and History version (7" version with longer fadeout)
- 4:36 – 7" Version (clean introduction)
- 0:13 - Ballad Reprise
- No More Lonely Nights (Playout Version) [produced by Arthur Baker]
- 5:03 – CD Album Version
- 4:26 – LP/Vinyl Album Version
- 3:58 – 7" Version
- No More Lonely Nights (Extended Version) – 8:10
- No More Lonely Nights (Special Dance Edit) – 4:22
- No More Lonely Nights (Special Dance Mix) (aka Extended Playout Version) – 6:55
- Paul McCartney – lead vocal, piano
- Linda McCartney – backing vocal, keyboards
- Eric Stewart – backing vocal
- David Gilmour – guitar
- Herbie Flowers – bass
- Anne Dudley – synthesiser
- Stuart Elliott – drums
- Filipino acoustic singer Nyoy Volante covered the song on his 2008 album, Heartstrings.
- The Airborne Toxic Event covered the song on the 2014 tribute album The Art of McCartney.
- John Pizzarelli covered the song in 2015 on his album Midnight McCartney.
- Chuck Wicks covered the song in 2011 on the album Let Us In Nashville.
- "No More Lonely Nights – Ascap Work Work ID: 440155431". Ascap. Archived from the original on March 6, 2013. Retrieved January 16, 2015.
- "Paul McCartney > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles". allmusic. Retrieved 2009-08-30.
- "Official Charts: Paul McCartney". The Official UK Charts Company. Retrieved 2011-10-13.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Review of Give My Regards to Broad Street". allmusic. Retrieved 2009-08-30.
- Kent, David (1984). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.