No One Cares
|No One Cares|
|Studio album by|
|Released||July 20, 1959|
|Recorded||March 24, 25, 26, May 14, 1959 at Capitol Studio A, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California|
|Frank Sinatra chronology|
No One Cares is a 1959 album by Frank Sinatra. It is generally seen as a "sequel" to Sinatra's 1957 album Where Are You? (also arranged by Gordon Jenkins), and was similar in theme and concept to Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely (arranged by Nelson Riddle).
No One Cares is considered by some to be the singer's darkest album – Sinatra himself purportedly referred to it as a collection of "suicide songs".
No One Cares was released in 1959 in both stereo and mono versions, each containing 11 songs. A 12th song, "The One I Love (Belongs to Somebody Else)", was recorded at the sessions, but left unreleased until 1973. In 1990, that song was released in the 3-disc set, "The Capitol Years", but whereas the 1973 release included two carefully placed edits to correct a gaffe in the lyrics and a poorly played string passage, the 1990 track was presented raw, without these corrections.
The 1991 CD reissue of the album is a new mix from the 3-track tapes. All other issues, including the release in the 1998 UK box set, use the original 1959 stereo mix.
Tracks 1 and 10, though arranged by Gordon Jenkins as part of the original concept, were conducted by Nelson Riddle (uncredited) in Jenkins' absence. On CD, the final three bonus tracks had nothing to do with the original album, and are arranged and conducted by Nelson Riddle.
- "When No One Cares" (Sammy Cahn, Jimmy Van Heusen) – 2:42
- "A Cottage for Sale" (Larry Conley, Willard Robison) – 3:16
- "Stormy Weather" (Harold Arlen, Ted Koehler) – 3:20
- "Where Do You Go?" (Arnold Sundgaard, Alec Wilder) – 2:34
- "I Don't Stand a Ghost of a Chance with You" (Bing Crosby, Ned Washington, Victor Young) – 3:16
- "Here's That Rainy Day" (Johnny Burke, Jimmy Van Heusen) – 3:34
- "I Can't Get Started" (Vernon Duke, Ira Gershwin) – 4:01
- "Why Try to Change Me Now?" (Cy Coleman, Joseph Allan McCarthy) – 3:41
- "Just Friends" (John Klenner, Sam M. Lewis) – 3:40
- "I'll Never Smile Again" (Ruth Lowe) – 3:46
- "None But the Lonely Heart" (Pyotr Il'yich Tchaikovsky, Bill Westbrook) – 3:41
- Bonus tracks included on the CD reissue:
- "The One I Love (Belongs to Somebody Else)" (Isham Jones, Gus Kahn) - 3:05
- "This Was My Love" (James Harbert) - 3:27
- "I Could Have Told You" (Jimmy Van Heusen, Carl Sigman) - 3:18
- "You Forgot All the Words (While I Still Remember the Tune)" (Bernie Wayne, E.H. Jay) - 3:20
Tracks 1, 10, 13:
James Decker, James McGee, Sinclair Lott (fr-h); Ronny Lang, Willie Schwartz, Ted Nash, Sal Franzella, Buddy Collette, Harry Schuchman (wwd); Felix Slatkin, Paul Shure, Alex Beller, Dan Lube, Mischa Russell, Marshall Sosson, Nicholas Pisani, Nathan Ross, Emo Neufeld, Joe Stepansky, Murray Kellner, Carl LaMagna, Jacques Gasselin, Henry Hill, Harry Bluestone, Arnold Belnick (vln); Alvin Dinkin, Alex Neiman, Paul Robyn, David Sterkin (via); James Arkatov, Victor Gottlieb (vie); Kathryn Julye (harp); Bill Miller (p); Al Viola (g); Mike Rubin (b); Bill Richmond (d). Nelson Riddle, Gordon Jenkins (arr).
Tracks 2, 4, 7, 9:
Vincent DeRosa, Richard Perissi, John Cave (fr-h); Willie Schwartz, Wayne Songer, Clyde Hylton, Dent Eckels, Matty Matlock (wwd); Bert Gassman (oboe); Mischa Russell, David Frisina, Walter Edelstein, Joseph Livoti, Jacques Gasselin, Emo Neufeld, Paul Shure, Felix Slatkin, Marshall Sosson, Harry Bluestone, Joseph Quadri, Victor Amo, Murray Kellner, Dan Lube, Lou Raderman, Ben Gill (vln); William Baffa, Louis Kievman, David Sterkin, Paul Robyn (vla); Armand Kaproff, Ray Kramer (vlc); Kathryn Thompson Vail (harp); Bill Miller (p); Allan Reuss (g); Jack Ryan (b); Nick Fatool (d); Gordon Jenkins (cond).
Tracks 3, 5, 8, 11:
Vincent DeRosa, John Cave, Richard Perissi (fr-h); Willie Schwartz, Clyde Hylton, Matty Matlock, Dent Eckels, Wayne Songer (wwd); Norman Beno (oboe); Dan Lube, Joseph Quadri, Lou Raderman, Joseph Livoti, Murray Kellner, Jacques Gasselin, Ben Gill, Walter Edelstein, Harry Bluestone, Paul Shure, Victor Amo, Emo Neufeld, Mischa Russell, Nathan Ross, Felix Slatkin, Marshall Sosson (vln); David Sterkin, William Baffa, Paul Robyn, Louis Kievman (via); Armand Kaproff, Ray Kramer (vie); Kathryn Thompson Vail (harp); Bill Miller (p); Allan Reuss (g); Jack Ryan (b); Nick Fatool (d); Gordon Jenkins (Cond).
Track 6, 12:
Arthur Frantz, Richard Perissi, John Cave (fr-h); Matty Matlock, Dent Eckels, Wayne Songer, Clyde Hylton, Paul McLarand (wwd); Norman Benno (oboe); Mischa Russell, Walter Edelstein, Joseph Livoti, Joseph Quadri, Jacques Gasselin, Dan Lube, Lou Raderman, Emo Neufeld, Murray Kellner, Victor Amo, Harry Bluestone, Felix Slatkin, Ben Gill, Marshall Sosson, Paul Shure, Gerald Vinci (vln); Louis Kievman, Paul Robyn, William Baffa, Allan Harshman (via); Armand Kaproff, Ray Kramer (vie); Kathryn Thompson Vail (harp); Bill Miller (p); Allan Reuss (g); Jack Ryan (b); Nick Fatool (d); Gordon Jenkins (Cond).
Tommy Pederson (tbn); George Roberts (b-tbn); John Cave, John Graas (fr-h); Harry Klee, Champ Webb, Skeets Herfurt (sax/wwd); Mischa Russell, Gerald Vinci, Harry Bluestone, Felix Slatkin, Paul Shure, Victor Bay, Henry Hill, Alex Beller, Anatol Kaminsky (vln); David Sterkin, Paul Robyn (via); Cy Bernard, Eleanor Slatkin (vlc); Kathryn Julye (harp); Bill Miller (p); Bob Bain (g); Joe Comfort (b); Alvin Stoller (d); Nelson Riddle (arr).
Shorty Sherock, Harry Edison, Johnny Best, Zeke Zarchy (tpt); Dick Noel, Paul Tanner, Jimmy Priddy (tbn); George Roberts (b-tbn); Willie Schwartz, Mahlon Clark, Justin Gordon, Champ Webb, Robert Lawson (sax/wwd); Emo Neufeld, Samuel Cytron, Robert Gross, Alex Murray, Paul Nero, Henry Hill, Mischa Russell, Dan Lube, Victor Bay, Alex Beller (vln); Maxine Johnson, Paul Robyn, David Sterkin (via); Ennio Bolognini, Ray Kramer, Eleanor Slatkin (vlc); Kathryn Julye (harp); Bill Miller (p); George Van Eps (g); Joe Comfort (b); Irving Cottier (d); Frank Flynn (perc); Nelson Riddle (arr).
- Allmusic review
- No One Cares at AllMusic
- "Amazon.com: Frank Sinatra: No One Cares: Music". amazon.com. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- "SH Forums - View Single Post - Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality - "No One Cares" (1959 LP)". Stevehoffman.tv. 2010-06-18. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "Frank Sinatra - Capitol". Steve-albin.com. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- Put Your Dreams Away: A Frank Sinatra Discography
- Ralph J. Gleason liner notes: http://www.johnbrown.tv/linernotes