No Reason to Cry
||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (May 2014)|
|No Reason to Cry|
|Studio album by Eric Clapton|
|Released||27 August 1976|
|Recorded||December 1975-May 1976 at Shangri-la Studios and Village Recorders|
|Eric Clapton chronology|
The album was recorded at The Band's Shangri-la Studios in March 1976, and included involvement from all five members; Rick Danko shared vocals with Clapton on "All Our Past Times," which he co-wrote with Clapton. The album also includes a duet with Bob Dylan on his otherwise unreleased song "Sign Language." The booklet in Bob Dylan's box set The Bootleg Series Volumes 1–3 (Rare & Unreleased) 1961–1991 describes his involvement in this album. Dylan dropped by and was just hanging out, living in a tent at the bottom of the garden. He would sneak into the studio to see what was going on. Dylan offered his new, unrecorded song "Seven Days" to Clapton. Clapton passed on it, but Ron Wood took him up on the offer and released it on his third solo album Gimme Some Neck.
The song "Innocent Times" is sung by Marcy Levy, who also shared vocals with Clapton on "Hungry." Female vocals are also on many of the other songs. Yvonne Elliman, who is thanked on the back cover, sang on some of the songs too.
No Reason to Cry was released in CD format on 25 October 1990.
- "Beautiful Thing" (Rick Danko, Richard Manuel) – 4:26
- "Carnival" (Clapton) – 3:44
- "Sign Language" (Bob Dylan) – 2:58
- "County Jail Blues" (Alfred Fields) – 4:00
- "All Our Past Times" (Clapton, Danko) – 4:40
- "Hello Old Friend" (Clapton) – 3:36
- "Double Trouble" (Otis Rush) – 4:23
- "Innocent Times" (Clapton, Marcy Levy) – 4:11
- "Hungry" (Levy, Dicky Simms) – 4:39
- "Black Summer Rain" (Clapton) – 4:55
1990 CD bonus
- "Last Night" (Walter Jacobs) – 4:52
- 1976 – "Hello Old Friend"
- 1976 – "Sign Language"
- 1977 – "Carnival"
- 1977 – "Beautiful Thing"
The liner notes don't identify who played what, but the following artists are credited as:
- Bob Dylan – courtesy of Columbia Records
- Ron Wood (Faces, Rolling Stones) – courtesy of Warner Bros. Records
- Rick Danko (The Band) – courtesy of Capitol Records
- Richard Manuel (The Band) – courtesy of Capitol Records
- Robbie Robertson (The Band) – courtesy of Capitol Records
- Georgie Fame – courtesy of Island Records
The back cover thanks these additional people, without specifying what their contribution was:
- Ed Anderson
- Brains Bradley
- Jesse Ed Davis
- Terry Danko
- Bob Ellis
- Konrad Kramer
- Yvonne Elliman
- Geoffrey Harrison
- Levon Helm (The Band)
- Garth Hudson (The Band)
- Marcy Levy
- Jamie Oldaker
- Albhy Galuten
- Dick Simms
- Nat Jeffery
- Ralph Moss
- Dick La Palm
- Dread Lever
- Billy Preston
- Chris Jagger
- Carl Radle
- Sergio Pastora Rodriguez
- Wilton Spears
- Dominic Lumetta
- Sandy Castle
- George Terry
- Rob Fraboni
- Larry Samuals
- Mick Turner
- Wah Wah Watson
- Pete & All at Shangri-La
|Dutch Albums (MegaCharts)||9|
|Japanese Albums (Oricon)||11|
|New Zealand Albums (RMNZ)||18|
|Norwegian Albums (VG-lista)||13|
|Swedish Albums (Sverigetopplistan)||24|
|UK Albums (OCC)||8|
|US Billboard 200||15|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||60,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Allmusic review
- Rolling Stone review
- Bob Dylan, The Bootleg Series Volumes 1–3 [Rare & Unreleased] 1961–1991, Columbia 47382 (cd) 1991
- "Album – No Reason To Cry". Eric-clapton.co.uk. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- "Elliman, Yvonne | Where's Eric". Whereseric.com. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- "No Reason To Cry", Eric Clapton, RSO Records, Inc. RS-1-3004 0698 (1976) LP
- "Eric Clapton – No Reason To Cry" (in Dutch). Dutchcharts.nl. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- "Yamachan Land (Archives of the Japanese record charts) – Albums Chart Daijiten – Eric Clapton". Japanese Charts. Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- "Eric Clapton – No Reason To Cry". Charts.org.nz. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- "Eric Clapton – No Reason To Cry". Norwegiancharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- "Eric Clapton – No Reason To Cry". Swedishcharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- "Eric Clapton | Artist | Official Charts". UK Albums Chart Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- "Eric Clapton – No Reason to Cry – Awards – AllMusic". AllMusic. Rovi Coperation. Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- "British album certifications – Eric Clapton – No Reason to Cry". British Phonographic Industry. Enter No Reason to Cry in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Silver in the field By Award. Click Search
- "Dossier – The Music of Eric Clapton". Directupload. Astrid Keil. Retrieved 2015-07-28.