No Sound But a Heart
|No Sound But a Heart|
|Studio album by Sheena Easton|
|Released||1987, 1999 re-release|
|Label||EMI America One Way Records|
|Producer||Keith Diamond, Narada Michael Walden, Nick Martinelli, David Leonard, and Phil Ramone|
|Sheena Easton chronology|
No Sound But a Heart was Sheena Easton's eighth studio album, released in 1987 on the EMI America label. The album's original U.S. release was canceled but some copies were found stateside. The album was issued in Canada, Mexico, Japan, and other Asian markets. The album consisted of midtempo and ballad songs. The disc features Journey's ex-front man Steve Perry on backing vocals on "Still in Love" and Eugene Wilde on "What If We Fall In Love".
The release of No Sound But a Heart was hampered in the United States after EMI-America was absorbed into EMI-Manhattan records and two scheduled release dates for the album (February and June 1987) were not met.
The album was reissued in 1999 by the One Way Records label, marking the first time it has been officially available in the United States. The album produced one single and video, "Eternity", written by Prince. The 1999 reissue added several bonus tracks. This was Easton's final release on the EMI label and one of the most sought after album in her catalog by fans. She subsequently moved to MCA Records the following year in 1988.
Songs from the album were covered by other artists: Crystal Gayle and Gary Morris featured "Wanna Give My Love" and "What If We Fall In Love" on a 1987 duet album named for the latter song; Celine Dion recorded "The Last to Know" on 1990s Unison; Patti LaBelle covered "Still In Love" on 1989's Be Yourself; and Pia Zadora recorded "Floating Hearts" on 1989's Pia Z.
Two unreleased tracks have appeared on YouTube Rhythm Of Romance (also recorded by LULU in 1993) and Anything Can Happen (album version single edit and 12" extended version) all on YouTube.
- "Eternity" (Prince)
- "Still Willing to Try"
- "Still In Love" (J. Cohen, Rick Davies, Narada Michael Walden) featuring Steve Perry
- "Wanna Give My Love"
- "The Last to Know" (Phil Gladston, Brock Walsh)
- "No Sound But a Heart"
- "What If We Fall in Love" featuring Eugene Wilde
- "No Ordinary Love"
- "Floating Hearts"
The 1999 reissue added the following bonus tracks
- "Shockwave" B-side of "Eternity" (Sheena Easton)
- "So Far So Good" from the Motion Picture About Last Night (Jimmy Mundy, Tom Snow, Cynthia Weil, Edward Little White)
- "Natural Love" from the Motion Picture About Last Night (Tom Snow, Cynthia Weil)
- "It's Christmas All Over the World" from the Motion Picture Santa Claus: The Movie
- David Leonard (tracks: 1)
- Keith Diamond (tracks: 2,6,8)
- Narada Michael Walden (tracks: 3,7,9,10,11,12)
- Nick Martinelli (tracks: 5)
- Phil Ramone (tracks: 4)
- Keith Olsen (track 13)
No Sound But A Heart is an interesting compromise. It keeps the emphasis on soul balladry, but backs its songs with solid R&B grooves.
Rolling Stone Magazine, 1987