No Tears for the Dead
|No Tears for the Dead|
|Directed by||Lee Jeong-beom|
|Produced by||Kim Tae-won|
|Written by||Lee Jeong-beom|
Jang Dong-gun |
|Music by||Choi Yong-rak|
|Edited by||Nam Na-yeong|
|Distributed by||CJ Entertainment|
|Box office||US$4.5 million|
No Tears for the Dead (Hangul: 우는 남자; RR: Uneun Namja; literally Crying Man) is a 2014 South Korean action film written and directed by Lee Jeong-beom. The film revolves around a professional hitman (Jang Dong-gun) who is conflicted about killing his last target (Kim Min-hee).
Abandoned by his mother shortly after immigrating to the United States, Gon is raised by the mafia and grows up to become a cold-blooded hitman. Though usually flawless in taking out his targets, Gon makes a terrible mistake of killing an innocent young girl. Swamped by feelings of regret, guilt and shame, Gon no longer wants to be a hitman, but his boss gives him one last mission.
So Gon finds himself in South Korea, the land of the mother that abandoned him, on the trail of his last target. But in bitter irony, that target is Mo-gyeong, the mother of the dead child. Mo-gyeong is a risk manager at an investment firm who now lives in a fog of despair, caring for her senile mother while reliant on alcohol and drugs to get by following the loss of her husband and daughter. She is oblivious to her involvement in a much larger conspiracy until a man approaches her, claiming to know the truth behind her daughter's death.
- Jang Dong-gun as Gon
- Kim Min-hee as Mo-gyeong
- Brian Tee as Chaoz
- Kim Hee-won as Department head Byun
- Jun-seong Kim as John Lee
- Jeon Bae-soo as Detective Jang
- Kim Min-jae as Team leader Park
- Lee Young-lan as Ok-soon
- Anthony Dilio as Juan
- Alexander Wraith as Alvaro
- Rich Ting as Asing
- Angela Bullock as Emma
- Kang Ji-woo as Yoo-mi
- Go Woo-rim as young Gon
- Kim So-jin as Mi-jin
- Kim Ji-seong as Gon's mother
- Park Byeong-eun as Ha Yoon-gook
- Kim Won-beom as Park Won-sang
- Byun Yo-han as Song Joon-ki
- Lee Moon-ho as Fat hacker
- Min Seong-wook as Plainclothes detective
- Kim Geu-rim as Policewoman
- Lee Seung-chan as Detective 1
- Yoo Ok-joo as Middle-aged female housekeeper
- Kim Kyeong-hee as Cleaning lady
- Kang Han-na as Kindergarten teacher
- Kim Hyo-min as John Lee's underling
- Hwang Sang-kyeong as Byun's underling 1
- Choi Je-heon as Byun's underling 2
- Ji Geon-woo as Byun's underling 3
- Shin Jae-hwan as Byun's underling 4
- Hyeong-won as Byun's underling 5
- Shin Seong-il as Byun's underling 6
- Nam Yeon-woo as Byun's underling 7
- Park Sang-hun as Byun 's underling 8
- Jang In-seop as Financial crimes special team member 1
- Seo Hyeon-woo as Financial crimes special team member 2
- Lee Kyeong-heon as Financial crimes special team member 3
- Ahn Jeong-mo as Financial crimes special team member 4
- Park Ji-yeon as Ventura Holdings team member 1
- Choi Seung-il as Ventura Holdings team member 2
- Kang Hyeon-woo as Ventura Holdings team member 3
- Kim Tae-hoon as Ventura Holdings team member 4
- Lee Gyoo-hyeong as Ventura Holdings team member 5
- Son Cheol-min as National Forensic Service employee
- Joo Yeong-ho as Explosives demolition team leader
- Yoon Dong-yeong as Explosives demolition team member
- Kim Moon-hak as Analyst
- Lee Dong-hwi as Electric vehicle engineer
- Kim Wan-soo as Control room staff member
- Jeong Seong-woo as Muscle man
- Jeon Byeong-gi as Daeban underling
- Lee Jae-in as Daeban granddaughter
- Moon Soo-ah as Hong-rim Chinese dress
- Jeong Soo-jeong as Female reporter
- Kim Na-hee as Yoo-mi's friend
- Kim Sung-oh as 112 hotline police voice 1
- Baek Hyeon-ik as 112 hotline police voice 2
- Matthew Douma as Slav guard 5
No Tears for the Dead was released in South Korea on June 4, 2014. Despite its star director and actor, the film underperformed at the box office against Hollywood blockbusters X-Men: Days of Future Past and Edge of Tomorrow. It opened at fifth place on the box office, drawing 600,988 admissions.
- "No Tears for the Dead (2014)". www.koreanfilm.or.kr.
- Baek, Byung-yeul (2 June 2014). "Unlikely hitman: After string of disastrous films, heartthrob Jang Dong-gun is back". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- Tae, Sang-joon (30 August 2013). "LEE Jeong-beom's THE MAN FROM NOWHERE Follow-up Confirmed Cast". Korean Film Council. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- Park, Jin-hai (11 May 2014). "Hallyu stars return to big screen". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2014-05-11.
- Jo, Yeon-kyung (31 May 2014). "Interview: Jang Dong Gun Confesses He Fell into a Slump for Years". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- Jo, Yeon-kyung (31 May 2014). "Interview: Jang Dong Gun was Glad to Act Opposite Kim Min Hee in Crying Man". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- Lee, Eun-sun (12 June 2014). "Jang rejects copycat claims over new film". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-06-20.
- Ahn, Sung-mi (2 June 2014). "Herald Review: No Tears for the Dead a sad story of a hitman". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- Ha, Sung-tae (27 June 2014). "In Focus: No Tears for the Dead". Korean Cinema Today. Retrieved 2014-07-01.
- Choi, Jin-sil (21 May 2014). "Jang Dong Gun & Kim Min Hee Crying Man release date confirmed for June 4". TenAsia. Retrieved 2014-05-22.
- Kim, Hee-eun (29 April 2014). "Jang Dong-gun to star in new thriller". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-04-29.
- Kang, Jung-yeon (30 April 2013). "Jang Dong Gun to be Killer in New Movie". TenAsia. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- Lee, Sun-min (30 April 2013). "Jang Dong-gun cast in Crying Man". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- Lee, Sun-min (29 August 2013). "Jang becomes a killer". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- Ha, Sung-tae (16 June 2014). "Box Office: May 29 - June 11, 2014". Korean Film Council. Retrieved 2014-06-30.
- Baek, Byung-yeul (22 June 2014). "A Hard Day defies predictions at the box office". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2014-06-30.