No Way Back (1995 film)
|No Way Back|
|Directed by||Frank A. Cappello|
|Produced by||Aki Komine|
|Music by||David C. Williams|
|Edited by||Sonny Baskin|
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures|
When an undercover FBI agent with a secret agenda (Kelly Hu), murders the skin head son (Ian Ziering) of high-ranking crime boss Frank Serlano (Michael Lerner), the mafioso retaliates by kidnapping the son of Zach Grant (Russell Crowe), the FBI agent in charge of the botched undercover sting. Simultaneously, Yuji (Etsushi Toyokawa), wanted dead by the Yakuza for forthcoming legal testimony, breaks free from Grant's supervision during a trans-Atlantic flight. Thus, causing their airplane, along with Mary (Helen Slater), the ditzy stewerdess accompanying them, to make an emergency-landing. In an attempt to free Yuji from the gaze of the Yakuza and regain custody of Zach's child from the mafia, the three crash survivors go off of the grid and set into motion a dangerous plan that could quickly facilitate their untimely demise.
- Russell Crowe as FBI Agent Zack Grant
- Helen Slater as Mary
- Etsushi Toyokawa as Yuji Kobayashi
- Michael Lerner as Frank Serlano
- Kyūsaku Shimada as Tetsuro
- Ian Ziering as Victor Serlano
Denise Lanctot of Entertainment Weekly rated it D+ and wrote that it would have made a better video game. Scott Hamilton and Chris Holland of Radio Times rated it 1/5 stars and called it a "preposterous crime thriller". R.L. Shaffer of IGN rated it 5/10 and recommended that fans of the stars watch their other films instead. Ian Jane of DVD Talk rated it 2.5/5 stars and wrote, "A wholly mediocre thriller, No Way Back will be of passing interesting to Russell Crowe fans and those who enjoy low budget action movies but outside of that group, it'll probably fall pretty flat."
- Lanctot, Denise (1996-06-20). "No Way Back". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2015-10-06.
- Hamilton, Scott; Holland, Chris. "No Way Back". Radio Times. Retrieved 2015-10-06.
- Shaffer, R. L. (2009-06-25). "No Way Back Blu-ray Review". IGN. Retrieved 2015-10-06.
- Jane, Ian (2009-06-29). "No Way Back (Blu-ray)". DVD Talk. Retrieved 2015-10-06.