Noah Eli Gordon
Noah Eli Gordon (born 1975) is an American poet, editor, and publisher.
Gordon is the co-publisher of Letter Machine Editions, an editor for The Volta, and an assistant professor in the MFA program in creative writing at the University of Colorado at Boulder, where he currently directs Subito Press. He ran Braincase Press, and was a founding editor of the little magazine Baffling Combustions.
His recent books include The Year of the Rooster (Ahsahta Press, 2013), The Source (Futurepoem Books, 2011), Novel Pictorial Noise (Harper Perennial, 2007), and Inbox (BlazeVOX Books, 2006). His essays, reviews, creative nonfiction, criticism, and poetry appear widely, including journals such as Bookforum, Seneca Review, Boston Review, Fence, Hambone, and in the anthologies Postmodern American Poetry (W. W. Norton & Company, 2013), A Broken Thing: Poets on the Line (University of Iowa Press, 2011), Against Expression: An Anthology of Conceptual Writing (Northwestern University Press, 2011), Poets on Teaching (University of Iowa Press, 2010), and Burning Interiors: David Shapiro’s Poetry and Poetics (Fairleigh Dickinson University Press, 2007). He was interviewed in the spring of 2007 by Rain Taxi, for whom he wrote a chapbook review column at the time.
Critic Michael Robbins, in his award-winning essay "Ripostes," published by Poetry Magazine, referred to Gordon's work as "simply dead — nonresponsive, flatlined, toe-tagged, rotting," while critic Stephen Burt, writing for The Nation, noted how Gordon's poetry, which he called "delightful," is "reacting to big modern systems, above all to the system called capitalism, whose results and failures seem inescapable."
- San Francisco State Poetry Center 2007 Book Award for Novel Pictorial Noise, 2009
- National Poetry Series Open Competition winner (selection by John Ashbery) for Novel Pictorial Noise, 2006
- Green Rose Prize for A Fiddle Pulled from the Throat of a Sparrow, 2006
- Greg Gummer Poetry Award, selected by Robert Creeley, 2005
- Sawtooth Poetry Prize for The Area of Sound Called the Subtone, 2004
- Glosband Fellowship, selected by David Shapiro, 2004
- Jarrell Poetry Prize, selected by Carolyn Forché, 2000
- LETTER MACHINE EDITIONS. lettermachine. Retrieved on 2013-08-29.
- The Volta. The Volta.org Retrieved on 2013-08-29.
- Noah Eli Gordon | Creative Writing. English.colorado.edu (2012-10-08). Retrieved on 2013-08-29.
- Subito Press. Subito Press (2011-07-23). Retrieved on 2013-08-29.
- Braincase Press: Catalog. Braincasepress3.blogspot.com. Retrieved on 2013-08-29.
- Baffling Combustions Issues 1, 2 and 3 by Elizabeth Willis et al Eileen Myles from Derringer Books, Member A.B.A.A. – Used Book – Paperback – First Edition. Abaa.org. Retrieved on 2013-08-29.
- Noah Eli Gordon – The Year of the Rooster. Ahsahta Press (2013-05-21). Retrieved on 2013-08-29.
- Futurepoem books – The Source. Futurepoem.com. Retrieved on 2013-08-29.
- Gordon, Noah Eli (2007) Novel Pictorial Noise, HarperCollins, ISBN 9780061257032.
- Writing. Noah Eli Gordon. Retrieved on 2013-08-29.
- Hoover, Paul (ed.) (2013) Contents. Postmodern American Poetry, W. W. Norton & Company, ISBN 0393310906.
- Anthologies. Noah Eli Gordon (2004-12-20). Retrieved on 2013-08-29.
- August 13, 2013 – 2013 Prizes for Contributors to Poetry Announced. The Poetry Foundation (2013-08-13). Retrieved on 2013-08-29.
- Deutsch, Abigail. (2013-07-01) Ripostes by Michael Robbins. Poetryfoundation.org. Retrieved on 2013-08-29.
- Anxious and Paralyzed: On Spahr, Gordon, Moschovakis and Ossip. The Nation (2012-01-03). Retrieved on 2013-08-29.