Noakhali Science and Technology University
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
নোয়াখালী বিজ্ঞান ও প্রযুক্তি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়
|Chancellor||President Abdul Hamid|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Dr. Md. Didar-ul-Alam|
101 acres (41 ha)
|Colours||Blue and White|
Noakhali Science and Technology University (Bengali: নোয়াখালী বিজ্ঞান ও প্রযুক্তি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়) (known as NSTU) is a public university in the coastal terrain Noakhali of Bangladesh. It is the 27th public university (out of 32) and fifth science and technology university in Bangladesh. Its foundation stone was laid on 11 October 2003 and academic activities started on 22 June 2006.
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 Vice chancellors
- 4 Residence halls
- 5 Academic facilities
- 6 Ranking
- 7 Co-curricular activities
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Former Prime Minister Begum Khaleda Zia laid the foundation stone of Noakhali Science and Technology University on 11 October 2003. Earlier the Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina takes necessary steps to established this university. At 15 July 2001 her government passed a law in the parliament. Its construction work was formally inaugurated on 24 March 2005. Finally, it started its academic activities on 22 June 2006. It is the fifth of 12 such universities the government decided in 1997 to establish in the 12 erstwhile greater districts where there was no university.
Noakhali University of Science and Technology stands on Sonapur, 8 kilometers southwest of Maijdee. It has a land area of 101 acres (0.41 km2) covering 93 Salla and 95 Noakhali Mouza. The construction of the university is not yet completed. Presently the campus consists of one 5 storied administrative building, two academic buildings (academic 1 is 5 storied and academic 2 is 10 storied), three male student halls, two female student halls, a 5 storied auditorium and TSC building, one 4 storied library building. The well furnished central library equipped with online library facilities has 10,000 printed books and 1500 printed journals apart from numerous e-books and e-journals. It has also two teacher's and officer's dormitories, one staff dormitories, vice chancellor's building and a mosque. There are two sport field and two big ponds in the campus area. It has a canteen for students called NSTU cafeteria. It has also a martyr monument like a fountain pen and a sculpture of liberation war. It has also a portraiture of father of the nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman. A park called Varsity park is also decorated for students leisure time with different kind of trees, benches and an octagonal cafeteria.
The landscape is particular because of thin population and thin plantation. The area is saline and not fertile. Trees are recent and not as robust as they should be. Tall trees do not mark the horizon. Ponds appear in large numbers, but most of them dry up during summer. Poor harvest and low vegetation is related to non-availability of nutrients in the sandy soil. Low- or high-tech methods, including indigenous measures, may turn these arid fields to rich farmlands. It may be appropriate for this university to watch these on academic foundations.
The site of the university is part of a vast Char that stretches on the south to Char Jabbar, Char Bata, Char Wapda and Char Clark before it reaches the feebly flowing Bhulua River. Like the district itself, Sonapur has a long history of erosion and accretion caused by the mighty Meghna on the west and the Bay of Bengal on the south.
|Sanjoy Kumar Adhikary||(2008-2010)|
|A. K. M. Sayedul Haque Chowdhury||(2010-2014)|
|M Wahiduzzaman||(2 June 2015–15 June 2019)|
|Professor Didarul Alam||(14 June 2019 - Present)|
- Vasha Sahid Abdus Salam Hall (ASH)
- Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Hall (BSMRH)
- Abdul Malek Ukil Hall (MUH)
- Bibi Khadija Hall (BKH)
- Bangamata Sheikh Fazilatunesa Mujib Hall (BSFMH)
The university has 25 departments under six faculties and two institutes. The faculties are:
- Faculty of Engineering & Technology
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities
- Faculty of Business Administration
- Faculty of Education Sciences
- Faculty of Law
All above courses are undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
The institutes are:
- Institute of Information Technology
- Institute of Information Sciences
The institutes offer undergraduate and diploma level degrees.
The 28 departments under six faculties:
Faculty of Engineering & Technology
- Department of Computer Science and Telecommunication Engineering
- Department of Applied Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
- Department of Information and Communication Engineering
- Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
Faculty of Science
- Department of Fisheries and Marine Science
- Department of Phamarcy
- Department of Microbiology
- Department of Applied Mathematics
- Department of Environmental Science and Disaster Management
- Department of Food Technology and Nutrition Science
- Department of Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering
- Department of Agriculture
- Department of Statistics
- Department of Oceanography
- Department of Biochemistry
Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities
- Department of English
- Department of Economics
- Department of Bangladesh and Liberation War Studies
- Department of Bangla
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Social Work
Faculty of Business Administration
- Department of Business Administration
- Department of Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Department of Management Information Systems
Faculty of Education Sciences
- Department of Education
- Department of Education Administration
Faculty of Law
- Department of Law
Institute of Information Technology (IIT)
- Software Engineering (SE)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Information Technology (PGDIT)
Institute of Information Sciences (IIS)
- Information Sciences and Library Management
In the local universities ranking, Noakhali Science and Technology University was placed as 14th overall and multi-disciplinary category out of 136 ranked universities (public and private) and also placed as 2nd science and technology university out of 09 in 2016 while in 2006.
In 2018, the NSTU was placed as 6271 into the top list of World Universities and placed as 621 into the top list of "South Asian Universities" in the ranking carried out by the web ranking.
In 2011-2012, the Noakhali Science and Technology University made it into the list of "Top World Universities" in the ranking carried out by the ranking agency Times Higher Education and Quacquarelli Symonds, UK. Out of over 30,000 universities around the world, NSTU was placed as 11203.
Coastal Environment Network
Coastal Environment Network, also known as ("কোয়েন" in Bengali), is a departmental club from the department of Environmental Science and Disaster Management of the Noakhali Science and Technology University (NSTU) that is concerned with various environmental issues. It was established in 2014. After one year of establishment, it was officially inaugurated by Professor Dr. M Wahiduzzaman, Vice Chancellor of the Noakhali Science and Technology University. The club has celebrated many environmentally days with the coordination of the Department of Environment including World Environment Day. It also organizes various environmental workshops, Olympiads, and programs concerning the recent environmental issues. The Coastal Environment Network (CoEN) facilitates networking among environmental organizations and others who share its mandate to protect the Earth and promote ecologically sound ways of life. The CoEN works directly with concerned citizens and organizations striving to protect, preserve, and restore the environment. Its motto is "Move Towards Sustainable Development".
- "Another science and technology university starts its journey". The Daily Star. 13 June 2005. Retrieved 28 October 2018.
- "Noakhali Science and Technology University".
- "Three more VCs removed". bdnews24.com. 20 May 2005. Retrieved 18 November 2018.
- "No scope for compromise on quality of education". The Daily Star. 22 May 2009. Retrieved 18 November 2018.
- "Noakhali Science and Technology University-NSTU". educarnival.com. Retrieved 18 November 2018.
- "Appointment of NSTU VC legal: HC". The Daily Star. 9 August 2018. Retrieved 18 November 2018.
- "An academician with a vision". The Daily Star. 17 May 2019. Retrieved 23 May 2019.
- "Prof Didar-ul-Alam new VC of NSTU". 14 June 2019. Retrieved 15 June 2019.
- "Faculties". NSTU. Retrieved 25 November 2018.
- "Bangladesh". webometrics.info. Retrieved 25 November 2018.
- "ESDM | NSTU". eshs.nstu.edu.bd. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- Journal, Youth. "কোয়েন-এর প্রথম বার্ষিক সাধারণ সভা অনুষ্ঠিত". www.youthjournalbd.com. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- "Noakhali Science and Technology University - Curriculum Vitae of Prof. Dr. M Wahiduzzaman". nstu.edu.bd. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- "Department of Environment-Government of the People of Bangladesh | পরিবেশ অধিদপ্তর-গণপ্রজাতন্ত্রী বাংলাদেশ সরকার". www.doe.gov.bd. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- "নোবিপ্রবিতে বিশ্ব পরিবেশ দিবস উপলক্ষে ফটোগ্রাফি প্রতিযোগিতা". Bangla Tribune (in Bengali). Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- Journal, Youth. "কোয়েনের ২য় বার্ষিক সাধারণ সভা অনুষ্ঠিত". www.youthjournalbd.com. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Noakhali Science and Technology University.|
- University Grants Commission of Bangladesh
- Department of Fisheries & Marine Science 
- The Department of Pharmacy is accredited by Bangladesh Pharmacy Council
- Official website
- Pharma Mirror - Professional Pharma Magazine
- Department of Microbiology