S&P 500 Index component
David L. Stover, (CEO)|
Kenneth M. Fisher, CFO
Natural gas liquids
|418 thousand barrels of oil equivalent (2,560,000 GJ) per day|
|Revenue||3.491 billion (2016)|
|-1.296 billion (2016)|
|-0.998 billion (2016)|
|Total assets||21.011 billion (2016)|
|Total equity||9.600 billion (2016)|
Number of employees
Noble Energy, Inc., formerly Noble Affiliates, Inc., is an American petroleum and natural gas exploration and production company headquartered in Houston, Texas. The company is ranked 653rd on the Fortune 1000.
As of December 31, 2016, the company had 1,437 million barrels of oil equivalent (8.79×109 GJ) of proved reserves, of which 68% was in the United States, 23% was in Israel, and 9% was in Equatorial Guinea.
In the United States, the company's primary holdings are in the Wattenberg Gas Field / Denver Basin in Colorado, the Delaware Basin, the Marcellus Shale, and to a lesser extent, in the Eagle Ford shale.
As of December 31, 2016, the company owned approximately 118,000 net developed acres and 10,000 net undeveloped acres in Equatorial Guinea, 168,000 net undeveloped acres in Cameroon, and 403,000 net undeveloped acres in Gabon.
As of December 31, 2016, the company owned approximately 78,000 net developed acres and 116,000 net undeveloped acres between 10 and 90 miles offshore Israel in water depths ranging from 700 feet to 6,500 feet. In Cyprus, the company owned a license covering approximately 33,000 net undeveloped acres adjacent to the Israel acreage. As of March 2018, Noble holds large working interests in the Leviathan field (39.66%) and the Tamar field (32.5% to be reduced to 25% at the end of March 2018). Through Dolphinus Holdings Limited, Noble will sell any excess gas to Egypt after its natural gas obligations to Israel and Jordan have been met. Negotiations are taking place to use the East Mediterranean Gas's pipeline to transport the gas from Israel to Egypt. Exports to Jordan are facilitated by an existing low-capacity pipeline near the Dead Sea and a large capacity pipeline under construction in northern Israel and northern Jordan.
In South America, the company operates in the Falkland Islands, where it holds 210,000 net acres. However, the company does not have any proved reserves there. The company also owns 419,000 net acres in Suriname.
In 1932, Lloyd Noble founded the Samedan Oil Corporation, predecessor company to Noble Energy, Inc. The company was named after his children Sam, Ed, and Ann. In 1968, Samedan acquired its first offshore block in the Gulf of Mexico. By the 1970s, Noble Affiliates Inc. was set up as a holding company to own Samedan Oil Corporation and a drilling company, Noble Drilling Corporation. In 1972, Noble Affiliates became a public company via an initial public offering, listing on the NASDAQ.
In 1980, Noble Affiliates was first listed on the New York Stock Exchange with the ticker symbol NBL. In 1985, Noble Affiliates spun off its subsidiary, Noble Drilling Corporation. In 1986, the company acquired Energy Development Corporation.
In May 2010, the company's Deep Blue exploration well on Green Canyon 723 in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico reached a depth of 32,684 feet.
In February 2011, the company received the first deepwater drilling permit in the Gulf of Mexico issued by the United States Department of the Interior after the moratorium following the Deepwater Horizon incident.
In September 2015, the company announced that the drilling of a well in the Cheetah exploration prospect offshore Cameroon yielded a dry hole. The company recorded a $33 million charge for this unsuccessful venture.
In 2015, the company settled a claim by the Environmental Protection Agency that its battery tanks were emitting noxious gases. The settlement included the payment of a $4.95 million civil penalty divided as follows: $3.475 million to the United States; and $1.475 million to Colorado.
- Noble Energy, Inc. 2016 Form 10-K Annual Report
- Fortune 1000: Noble Energy
- "Noble Energy inks gas sales agreements for Tamar and Leviathan". SteelGuru. February 22, 2018. Retrieved March 1, 2018.
- Rabinovitch, Ari (18 March 2015). "Israel's Tamar group to sell gas to Egypt via pipeline". Reuters. Retrieved 18 March 2015.
- Gutman, Lior (5 May 2015). "דולפינוס פתחה במו"מ עם EMG להולכת הגז ממאגר תמר למצרים" [Dolphinus commences negotiations for the use of EMG's pipeline] (in Hebrew). Calcalist. Retrieved 1 March 2018.
- Scheer, Steven; Rabinovitch, Avi (25 November 2015). "Developers of Israel's Leviathan field sign preliminary Egypt gas deal". Reuters. Retrieved 1 March 2018.
- Feteha, Ahmed; Elyan, Tamim (2 December 2015). "Egypt's Dolphinus Sees Gas Import Deal With Israel in Months". Reuters. Retrieved 1 March 2018.
- Nelson, Mary Jo (October 6, 1985). "Success: Noble Deeds Speak for Themselves". The Oklahoman.
- "Equity Financing". The New York Times. October 18, 1972.(subscription required)
- "New Issues Climb As Two Offerings Dominate Market". The New York Times. October 21, 1972.(subscription required)
- "Noble bringing HQ to Houston". American City Business Journals. June 18, 2000.
- "Noble Affiliates Names Charles Davidson as President and Chief Executive Officer". PRNewswire. September 22, 2000.
- "Noble Affiliates Shareholders Approve Company Name Change to Noble Energy" (Press release). PRNewswire. April 23, 2002.
- "Noble Energy Closes Patina Acquisition" (Press release). PRNewswire. May 16, 2005.
- "NOBLE ENERGY, INC. SELLS GULF OF MEXICO SHELF ASSETS FOR $625 MILLION AND ANNOUNCES A $500 MILLION COMMON STOCK REPURCHASE PROGRAM" (Press release). PRNewswire. May 16, 2006.
- "Noble Energy Announces Deepwater Gulf of Mexico Discovery" (Press release). PRNewswire. June 15, 2006.
- "Noble Energy Expands DJ Basin Position with Asset Acquisition" (Press release). PRNewswire. January 5, 2010.
- "Noble Energy Announces Status of Deep Blue Exploration Well" (Press release). PRNewswire. May 11, 2010.
- "Noble Energy Announces Significant Discovery at Leviathan Offshore Israel" (Press release). PRNewswire. December 29, 2010.
- Hargreaves, Steve (February 28, 2011). "Obama issues first deepwater drilling permit". CNN Money.
- "Noble Energy to move HQ to former HP building". American City Business Journals. January 20, 2012.
- "Noble Energy donates NIS 12m to Ruppin College". Globes. February 24, 2014.
- Udasin, Sharon (February 24, 2014). "Noble Energy to establish NIS 12 million energy training center at Ruppin College". The Jerusalem Post.
- "Noble Energy Closes Acquisition of Rosetta Resources" (Press release). GlobeNewswire. July 20, 2015.
- "Noble Energy Announces Cheetah Exploration Results Offshore Cameroon" (Press release). GlobeNewswire. September 25, 2015.
- "Noble Energy Closes Acquisition of Clayton Williams Energy" (Press release). GlobeNewswire. April 25, 2017.
- MATTHEWS, CHRISTOPHER M.; COOK, LYNN (January 16, 2017). "Noble Energy to Buy Clayton Williams". The Wall Street Journal.(subscription required)
- "Noble Energy Sells Marcellus Midstream to Quantum Energy Partners for $765 Million" (Press release). GlobeNewswire. May 18, 2017.
- "Argentina launches legal action to prevent Falklands oil and gas drilling". The Guardian. April 17, 2015.
- "Noble Energy, Inc. Settlement". United States Environmental Protection Agency. April 22, 2015.