|Traded as||NYSE: NBL|
S&P 500 Index component
|Headquarters||Houston, Texas, United States|
|David L. Stover, (CEO)|
Kenneth M. Fisher, CFO
Natural gas liquids
|346 thousand barrels of oil equivalent (2,120,000 GJ) per day|
|Revenue||$4.986 billion (2018)|
|-$0.066 billion (2018)|
|Total assets||$21.010 billion (2018)|
|Total equity||$10.484 billion (2018)|
Number of employees
|Footnotes / references|
The company was known as Noble Affiliates, Inc. until 2002.
As of December 31, 2018, the company had 1,929 million barrels of oil equivalent (1.180×1010 GJ) of proved reserves, of which 52% was in the United States, 43% was in Israel, and 5% was in Equatorial Guinea. Of the company's total proved reserves as of December 31, 2018, 62% was natural gas, 14% was natural gas liquids, and 24% was petroleum.
As of December 31, 2018, the company owned approximately 74,000 net developed acres and 111,000 net undeveloped acres between 10 and 90 miles offshore Israel in water depths ranging from 700 feet to 6,500 feet. Noble holds a 39.66% working interest in the Leviathan gas field, which it discovered in 2010 and a 25% working interest in the Tamar gas field. Through Dolphinus Holdings Limited, Noble sells any excess gas to Egypt after its natural gas obligations to Israel and Jordan have been met. The company owns a minority interest in and uses East Mediterranean Gas Company's Arab Gas Pipeline to transport the gas from Israel to Egypt. Exports to Jordan are facilitated by an existing low-capacity pipeline near the Dead Sea and a large capacity pipeline under construction in northern Israel and northern Jordan. Adjacent to the Israel acreage, the company owns a license covering approximately 33,000 net undeveloped acres in the Aphrodite gas field of Cyprus.
In 1932, Lloyd Noble founded the Samedan Oil Corporation, predecessor company to Noble Energy, Inc. The company was named after his children Sam, Ed, and Ann. In 1968, Samedan acquired its first offshore block in the Gulf of Mexico. By the 1970s, Noble Affiliates Inc. was set up as a holding company to own Samedan Oil Corporation and a drilling company, Noble Drilling Corporation. In 1972, Noble Affiliates became a public company via an initial public offering, listing on the NASDAQ.
In 1980, Noble Affiliates was first listed on the New York Stock Exchange with the ticker symbol NBL. In 1985, Noble Affiliates spun off its subsidiary, Noble Drilling Corporation. In 1986, the company acquired Energy Development Corporation.
In May 2010, the company's Deep Blue exploration well on Green Canyon 723 in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico reached a depth of 32,684 feet.
In February 2011, the company received the first deepwater drilling permit in the Gulf of Mexico issued by the United States Department of the Interior after the moratorium following the Deepwater Horizon incident.
In September 2015, the company announced that the drilling of a well in the Cheetah exploration prospect offshore Cameroon yielded a dry hole. The company recorded a $33 million charge for this unsuccessful venture.
In 2015, the company settled a claim by the Environmental Protection Agency that its battery tanks were emitting noxious gases. The settlement included the payment of a $4.95 million civil penalty divided as follows: $3.475 million to the United States; and $1.475 million to Colorado.
- "Noble Energy, Inc. 2018 Form 10-K Annual Report". U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- "Fortune 1000: Noble Energy". Fortune.
- Nelson, Mary Jo (October 6, 1985). "Success: Noble Deeds Speak for Themselves". The Oklahoman.
- "Equity Financing". The New York Times. October 18, 1972.
- "New Issues Climb As Two Offerings Dominate Market". The New York Times. October 21, 1972.
- "Noble bringing HQ to Houston". American City Business Journals. June 18, 2000.
- Blum, Jordan (April 15, 2014). "Noble Energy CEO to step down". American City Business Journals.
- Perin, Monica (April 28, 2002). "Noble Affiliates to take on new name". American City Business Journals.
- "Noble Energy Closes Patina Acquisition" (Press release). PR Newswire. May 16, 2005.
- "NOBLE ENERGY, INC. SELLS GULF OF MEXICO SHELF ASSETS FOR $625 MILLION AND ANNOUNCES A $500 MILLION COMMON STOCK REPURCHASE PROGRAM" (Press release). PR Newswire. May 16, 2006.
- "Noble Energy Announces Deepwater Gulf of Mexico Discovery" (Press release). PR Newswire. June 15, 2006.
- "Noble Energy Expands DJ Basin Position with Asset Acquisition" (Press release). PR Newswire. January 5, 2010.
- "Noble Energy Announces Status of Deep Blue Exploration Well" (Press release). PR Newswire. May 11, 2010.
- "Noble Energy Announces Significant Discovery at Leviathan Offshore Israel" (Press release). PR Newswire. December 29, 2010.
- Hargreaves, Steve (February 28, 2011). "Obama issues first deepwater drilling permit". CNN.
- "Noble Energy to move HQ to former HP building". American City Business Journals. January 20, 2012.
- "Noble Energy Completes The Sale Of Mid-Continent Properties" (Press release). PR Newswire. September 18, 2012.
- "Noble Energy donates NIS 12m to Ruppin College". Globes. February 24, 2014.
- Udasin, Sharon (February 24, 2014). "Noble Energy to establish NIS 12 million energy training center at Ruppin College". The Jerusalem Post.
- "Noble Energy Closes Acquisition of Rosetta Resources" (Press release). GlobeNewswire. July 20, 2015.
- "Noble Energy Announces Cheetah Exploration Results Offshore Cameroon" (Press release). GlobeNewswire. September 25, 2015.
- "Noble Energy Closes Acquisition of Clayton Williams Energy" (Press release). GlobeNewswire. April 25, 2017.
- MATTHEWS, CHRISTOPHER M.; COOK, LYNN (January 16, 2017). "Noble Energy to Buy Clayton Williams". The Wall Street Journal.
- "Noble Energy Sells Marcellus Midstream to Quantum Energy Partners for $765 Million" (Press release). GlobeNewswire. May 18, 2017.
- Gough, Paul J. (May 2, 2017). "Noble selling Marcellus Shale assets for $1.12B". American City Business Journals.
- Pulsinelli, Olivia (January 30, 2018). "Noble Energy to sell part of stake in offshore Israel asset for $800M". American City Business Journals.
- "Noble Energy Closes Sale of U.S. Gulf of Mexico Business" (Press release). GlobeNewswire. April 12, 2018.
- "Noble Energy Partners Acquires Bakken Shale and Eagle Ford Shale Assets" (Press release). PR Newswire. December 7, 2018.
- "Argentina launches legal action to prevent Falklands oil and gas drilling". The Guardian. April 17, 2015.
- "Noble Energy, Inc. Settlement" (Press release). United States Environmental Protection Agency. April 22, 2015.
- Business data for Noble Energy: