Nobody Knows (Pink song)
|Single by Pink|
|from the album I'm Not Dead|
|Released||November 20, 2006 (UK)
January 12, 2007 (AUS, GER)
January 15, 2007 (SP)
January 19, 2007 (SWI)
January 22, 2007 (NL, BE)
Conway Recording Studios, Hollywood, CA
|Writer(s)||Pink, Billy Mann|
"Nobody Knows" is a song by Pink, and was the fourth single from her fourth album, I'm Not Dead (2006). It was released on November 20, 2006 in Britain and Ireland and during January 2007 in Australia and Europe. The song recorded significant digital sales in 2012 with the release of P!nk's sixth album The Truth About Love but never made a Hot 100 debut.
Composition and critical reception
"Nobody Knows" was written by Pink and co-written and produced by Billy Mann. The song is a piano-ballad and deals with her feelings of depression. The song received positive reviews. IGN's wrote that "'Nobody Knows' goes for a shiny blues ballad feel, Pink flexing her vocal chords to reveal a downright sweetness to her voice." Quentin Huff from PopMatters wrote an extensive review about the song, stating that "Even when you feel like you’ve heard it before, her smoky vocals and clever touches let you know it’s not the same old thing." While commenting about her voice, he said that she "belts out her lyrics like a champ." Entertainment Weekly's Chris Willman wrote that the song can be skipped while listening to the album, while referring the track as a "stab at Xtina-style balladic solipsism, Pink's vocal span from G3 to G5"
The song was released as a single on November 20, 2006 in the United Kingdom and Ireland, and on January 13, 2007 in Australia; it reached number 27 in all three countries. It was the only physical single from I'm Not Dead to miss the top five on the ARIA Singles Chart, on which it reached its peak in late January 2007, but it was very popular on radio. Two weeks before this, "Who Knew" (the second I'm Not Dead single) had re-entered the chart and "U + Ur Hand" was still on the chart, which meant that three singles by Pink were in the top fifty (as of January 21, 2007). On the UK Singles Chart it was Pink's lowest peaking single at the time, and the first I'm Not Dead single to miss the top ten.
"Nobody Knows" reached number 17 in Germany and number 74 on the Eurochart Hot 100 Singles chart. Although it reached the top 40 on the majority of charts on which it appeared, it was not as successful as the album's preceding singles. In Canada the song was released to radio in mid-January shortly after the success of "U + Ur Hand"; in Belgium "Dear Mr. President" was the fourth single from the album.
Use in singing competitions
The song enjoys great popularity within contestants of TV singing competitions.
In 2011, LeRoy Bell of The X Factor USA's first season covered the song during Top 17 Performance. It was also covered by Jade Richards as well as Amelia Lily Oliver for Bootcamp Stage 2 during eight series of The X Factor UK.
Most recently, it was covered by Jessica Espinoza during her audition for the second season of The X Factor USA.
The music video was shot in London by director Jake Nava. The first scene features Pink in a hotel room (shot in The May Fair hotel) staring out of a window to London at night, that changes to sunrise. She then watches TV but finds there's hardly anything on apart from a melting snowman and puts her head under her pillow before accessing her laptop computer. During the video she messes up the room by throwing everything around, and she is later seen sitting in the fetal position in a shower. Another scene shows Pink walking down a street, past a couple in love and some drunken men. The video ends with Pink singing to an empty auditorium, pretending to do a real performance.
Track listings and formats
- CD Single
- "Nobody Knows" [Album Version] - 3:57
- "Words" - 3:06
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||21|
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||23|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||17|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||45|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||17|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||27|
- Vocals: Pink
- Backing vocals: Billy Mann, Beth Cohen
- Mixed by: Tom Lord-Alge
- Assistant mix engineer: Fermio Hernandez
- Keyboard programming: Pete Wallace
- Electric guitars: Dan Warner
- Guitars: Pete Wallace, Billy Mann
- Piano: Pete Wallace, Billy Mann
- Drums: Lee Levin
- Percussion: Pete Wallace
- Production coordinator: Lana Israel
- Pareles, Jon (April 3, 2006). "Critic's Choice: New CD's". The New York Times. Retrieved May 4, 2010.
- "P!nk - I'm Not Dead - Music Review at IGN". IGN. 4 April 2006. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
- Huff, Quentin (17 May 2006). "Pink: I'm Not Dead < PopMatters". PopMatters. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- Willman, Chris (6 April 2006). "I'm Not Dead Review - Music Review - EW review". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- "Australian-charts.com – P!nk – Nobody Knows". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved 20 June 2011.
- "Austriancharts.at – P!nk – Nobody Knows" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved 20 June 2011.
- "Ultratop.be – P!nk – Nobody Knows" (in Dutch). Ultratip. Retrieved 20 June 2011.
- "Lescharts.com – P!nk – Nobody Knows" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved 20 June 2011.
- "Musicline.de – P!nk Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH. Retrieved 20 June 2011.
- "Chart Track: Week 48, 2006". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved 20 June 2011.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Pink search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40. Retrieved May 1, 2015.
- "Swisscharts.com – P!nk – Nobody Knows". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved 20 June 2011.
- "Archive Chart: 2006-12-02" UK Singles Chart.