Nobody Knows Anything
|"Nobody Knows Anything"|
|The Sopranos episode|
|Episode no.||Season 1|
|Directed by||Henry J. Bronchtein|
|Written by||Frank Renzulli|
|Cinematography by||Phil Abraham|
|Original air date||March 21, 1999|
|Running time||49 minutes|
- James Gandolfini as Tony Soprano
- Lorraine Bracco as Dr. Jennifer Melfi
- Edie Falco as Carmela Soprano
- Michael Imperioli as Christopher Moltisanti
- Dominic Chianese as Corrado Soprano, Jr.
- Vincent Pastore as Pussy Bonpensiero
- Steven Van Zandt as Silvio Dante
- Tony Sirico as Paulie Gualtieri
- Robert Iler as Anthony Soprano, Jr.
- Jamie-Lynn Sigler as Meadow Soprano
- Nancy Marchand as Livia Soprano
Also guest starring
- Al Sapienza as Mikey Palmice
- Joseph Badalucco, Jr. as Jimmy Altieri
- Giancarlo "John" Giunta as Kevin Bonpensiero
- George Loros as Raymond Curto
- Sal Ruffino as Chucky Signore
- Doug Barron as Dr. Mop-N-Glo
- Veronica Bero as Girl
- Britt Burr as Traffic Cop
- Johann Carlo as Bonnie DiCaprio
- Ramsey Faragallah as Fed #1
- Annika Pergament as Female Anchor
- Bobby Rivers as Male Anchor
- Michele Santopietro as JoJo Palmice
- Matthew Lawler as Fed #2
- Chance Kelly as Fed #3
- Tim Kirkpatrick as Detective #1
- Peter Bretz as Detective #2
Pussy is arrested at Jimmy Altieri's pool hall, where the FBI finds a stash of guns. Pussy later claims his back, previously injured at a bordello, has been worsened as a result of the foot pursuit and arrest. Vin Makazian, a police detective on Tony's payroll, tells him that Pussy has turned informant. Tony later learns from Silvio that Makazian owes a $30,000 gambling debt to Pussy, which may bring his objectivity into question. Distressed that his best friend could betray him, Tony asks Makazian to provide a copy of the police report naming the informant. However, before this can happen, Makazian is arrested at a brothel alongside DiMeo family capo Ray Curto and commits suicide upon release. Tony visits the brothel's madam, Debbie, who was Makazian's friend and confidante. Tony realizes that he contributed to the detective's suicide and relates to his feelings of depression and suicidal tendencies.
After getting bailed out of jail, Pussy stays at home, nurses his back, and stops making his collections. When Pussy complains to Tony about the hardship of putting his children through college, Tony looks for a sign that he has indeed turned informant. Tony assigns Paulie to investigate Pussy, but Paulie is not to act unless he sees a wire. Paulie takes Pussy to a steam bath facility, but Pussy refuses to undress and states that his doctor told him that heat is bad for him. When Tony questions Dr. Melfi about Pussy's physical problems, she tells Tony that Pussy's issues may be psychosomatic.
Jimmy is released and surprises Tony at his home, asking where he plans to keep the cash which was looted from Gallegos, a Colombian drug dealer. This prompts Tony to conclude that Makazian must have gotten his facts crossed since Jimmy and Pussy were both arrested at the same time and both shared the same basic physical description - "two fat fucks with black hair". Tony tells Paulie and Silvio that it is Jimmy, and not Pussy, who is the informant. Paulie confirms to an angry Tony that he has not harmed Pussy, but that he has disappeared. Meanwhile, Livia tells Junior that Tony and other capos have placed their mothers in Green Grove and held meetings there. Furious, Junior concludes that Tony is conspiring against him and puts out a hit. He instructs Mikey and Chucky Signore to do the deed.
- Chucky Signore: Soldier in Junior Soprano's crew and a close friend of Mikey's
- JoJo Palmice: Mikey Palmice's wife
The title is said twice during the episode, first by Paulie in reference to Big Pussy's back problems when he tells Tony a doctor found nothing wrong and at the end of the episode by Tony in regards to Pussy's whereabouts.
- The song played when Pussy's back goes out at the brothel, and Tony and Paulie help him walk out is "Walking on a Tightrope" by Johnny Adams.
- The song played when the Feds bust up a card game with Pussy and Jimmy is "The Highs Are Too High" by Johnette Napolitano.
- The song played at the Bada Bing when Pussy is released from prison is "Slide Slide" by The Hotheads.
- The song played at Carmela's open house party near the start of the episode is "Mickey's Monkey", by The Miracles.
- The song played when Tony meets Vin Makazian at the brothel is "My Heart's Hangin' Heavy" also by Johnny Adams.
- The song played when Tony finds out about Makazian's death at the Bada Bing is "Lick It Up" by KISS.
- The song played when Tony looks out over the bridge and into the end credits is "Manifold de Amour" by Latin Playboys.